Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    Tell me about it. My house was built long ago on an old avocado orchard. Even in the 10 years I have lived here, the 60-year-old avocado trees have continued to grow. Some are so tall now that we can no longer reach the fruit. We often "harvest" it by waiting for it to fall or be picked by raccoons and possums. The others we have this very long telescoping apple picker thing.
    I'm a little loopy because I've been awake since 2am, but I'm imagining you and your SO running around the property holding baskets and yelling, "I think this one's about ready to drop!"

I'm so envious of you for having free and plentiful avocados. It's like some magical delicious fruit that comes with its own fat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Humans ate what they could find, probably. If you really want to mimic your Primal ancestors, eat local and seasonal. Even then, with modern farming, it won't be precise but close enough. I don't know if it is worth the trouble, though. I like food too much.

No strawberries from Chile in December. Fruit did not grow in the winter months until we made it so (at least in my part of the world).

I don't eat meat every day. I bet my ancestors did not, either. Maybe I should go days without eating like they probably did? It can get a little overwhelming to think about being just like them. The idea of eating simply and cleanly is what I take away from the thought of Primal Living.

I say eat how it works best for your body and find activities to keep you moving.
      sigpic
      Age 48
      Start date: 7-5-12
      5'3"
      121lbs
      GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
      Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalFish View Post
        I think physical strength comes from training and eating enough. You can get enough protein from vegan sources. Look at this guy: Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness
        Not that alone. That guy you linked to, IMO, is or has almost certainly been on anabolic steroids. I can't say for sure, obviously, but I would put his physique on chemical enhancement before I would ever put it to a vegan diet.

BTW, eating a lot of calories on a whole food vegan diet is very difficult. It's the reason most true, whole food vegans are skinny as f***.

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        Looking at it through the context of evolution, fruit was probably the only thing on Earth that tasted good. Meat is absolutely delicious...because we can rub it with salt and pepper, sear it in butter and rub it down in some garlic or chili powder or something. Meat with absolutely no seasoning at all is pretty darn boring. It at least needs some salt. Since ancient man didn't have access to any of these things, fruit was probably preferred. At least I'd rather eat mangoes than raw or steamed squirrel.
        LOL I understand the analogy. But I would never pass up a nice fatty liver, or better still, gnawing away on a set of wild boar ribs. I think they would have quickly realized the benefits of eating a lot of meat, and the ability to attack and destroy the neighbouring peoples.

With meat comes muscle. With muscle come strength. With strength comes dominance.

Comment

• Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
          Fruit did not grow in the winter months until we made it so (at least in my part of the world).
          What time of year do things like grapefruit and lemons grow whet you live then? Mine are full of fruit and it's mid winter here (not cold enough to snow, but often in the low single digits Celsius, with fruits a few times in the pay couple of months).

I think the picture of all fruit being a summer bounty only is wrong.
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Yep, the amount of distorted information (and flat out lies) out there is amazing.

Mike Richards (who does bone analysis) put together a summary of the arachaeological evidence for the common reader. I'd suggest everyone read it. It's only a few pages, and it's based on what we know, not random speculation.

"A brief review of the archaeological evidence for Palaeolithic and Neolithic subsistence"
            http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v...f/1601646a.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
              What time of year do things like grapefruit and lemons grow whet you live then? Mine are full of fruit and it's mid winter here (not cold enough to snow, but often in the low single digits Celsius, with fruits a few times in the pay couple of months).

I think the picture of all fruit being a summer bounty only is wrong.
              The ground is frozen for 3 months out of the year where I live. Lemons and grapefruits cannot survive, and nothing grows except under glass. I'm glad we have shipping or we'd be back to eating withered carrots and potatoes and dried beans during the winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                The ground is frozen for 3 months out of the year where I live. Lemons and grapefruits cannot survive, and nothing grows except under glass. I'm glad we have shipping or we'd be back to eating withered carrots and potatoes and dried beans during the winter.
                Yeah obviously, that was kinda my point.
                "Winter" means many things depending on location. To make a blanket statement that fruit isn't available in winter, especially in reference to the kinds of loadings where HGs live/lived is pointless.

Of course, this isn't too day that I agree with anything that the OP has stated either. I lean more to the thinking that roots, tubors, animals of all kinds, some fruit & nuts would be a more typical diet in the type of climate that early man would've existed in before spreading or around the globe.
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• People didn't work full time, so the work was to climb those trees and throw sticks and stones up and get that fruit. And hunt... what wrong with a varied diet?
                  Last edited by ToldUzo; 07-12-2013, 01:24 AM.
                  Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

• Wait! Are we already finished talking about the Alien theory?
                    I want to believe...
                    CropCircle4.gif
                    Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

• If it's not already been pointed out, the fantasy that the OP believes in of humans wandering around in a sort of garden of eden picking fruit so they don't have to kill any of those poor little animals would be associated with a time when our hominid ancestors would have had brains the size of chimps, who BTW are observed to hunt, kill and eat monkeys on occasion. It is believed that our brains grew when we started eating more meat. By the time we were something you could call human, we had LONG been out of that environment where sustaining ourselves on a mostly fruit diet would have even been possible. So the picture the OP paints of homo sapiens living off of fruit is pure fantasy.

I've had 2 friends that attempted to "live off the land" and I think if anyone tries to do this, even for a little while, it could be instructive. Both were vegetarians when they started their quests. The first went to tracking school before setting out and when freezing his butt off one day the instructor said to note who was cold and who seemed to be doing OK. He quickly worked out that it was the vegetarians in the group that were freezing. He ended up living in the New Jersey wilderness (sounds weird to say that, but it's there!) for a little over a year. He learned to make small traps and lived off of squirrels, rabbits and whatever edible plant material he could find. The other friend refused to give up the vegan belief system and lasted 2 weeks before he had to give up because he was starving.

There's a reason no one has ever found a native culture that has survived on a vegan diet. You simply can't live off the land that way and survive. Our species has evolved eating meat for so long that our digestive system isn't equipped to be able to derive enough sustenance from whatever plant matter you can gather up. There are some fairly modern cultures that are vegetarian, but eat milk, eggs, etc. but the whole "vegan" thing is really a completely modern thing. The amount of supplementation with things like plant derived protein powders, B12 supplementation, a dizzying amount of food combining to get complete proteins, flying fruit in year round from all parts of the globe, etc. etc. make this sort of diet only even remotely survivable in our modern world.

But I'd invite the OP to not take the second hand stories of some guy on the internet with anything other than a grain of salt. Rather if you have the time, inclination and most importantly actually BELIEVE in your Vegan ideals enough then go try living off the land without eating any animals. Try it for a few weeks, blog about it, take some pictures before and after, whatever. If you can actually do it I'll tip my hat to you and say "well, looks like I was wrong".
                      Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

• Originally posted by KestrelSF View Post
                        It is believed that our brains grew when we started eating more meat.
                        I like the irony that eating meat is what caused our brains to evolve to a point where we became intelligent enough to question whether or not we should eat meat.
                        My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                        (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                        Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                        (Red Dwarf)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyborcat View Post
                          I like the irony that eating meat is what caused our brains to evolve to a point where we became intelligent enough to question whether or not we should eat meat.
                          Ha ha. So true. Also, people who don't eat meat are the equivalent of squirrels who tear up their faces trying to chew through the bars of a cage.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• to the guy who started this thread :

Im sorry to say that but stop dreaming men , we are not gentle little creatures gathering fruits and exploring nature , we are humans our brain has evolved at the expense of our digestive system , why?
                            because we were not only eating fruits like in your sweet dream but hunting big animals .

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              people who don't eat meat are the equivalent of squirrels who tear up their faces trying to chew through the bars of a cage.
                              Classic. That should be on the MDA forum hall of fame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyborcat View Post
                                HA! It's really sad.

Poster Kestrel also brought up a good point above. We would never have survived ice age Europe eating vegetables because 1) there were not enough of them, and 2) you need body mass to insulate yourself from the cold (see Neanderthals in particular). That was accomplished by meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X