Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do or say re: undernourished vegan baby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It is child abuse, but so is all the children who are fed crap all the time. What makes this so sad is that she believes she is doing the very best for her child. As Shazzie explains in her article below, the failures are not well known in the vegan community and are mostly covered up - she also states in the article that it is child abuse.

    I would share this information from these two Mom's who are well known in the vegan community...

    Shazzie's article on raw vegan children
    Shazzie wrote a book about it - her daughter now eats eggs, grass fed butter and cheese, and she supplements with DHA, EPA, K2, D3, etc.

    My Vegan Diet Caused Health Problems. Would Primal, Paleo, Or “Real Food” Be Better? » Kristen's Raw
    Kristen has transitioned to more of a primal diet.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
      Child
      Protective
      Services

      Sent via A-10 Warthog
      Definitely. It is not meddling.

      Between the ages of birth and 4 I lived next door to a family with neglected/abused children. Back then you did not meddle in others' affairs. The mother burned down the house with a cigarette just before she adopted a little girl. Because everything was new after the fire her house had the appearance of being clean and nice. That was not the reality. The little girl arrived to their family with clear eyes and within a month of the neglect her eyes were dull and listless. All the children were dirty and the boys were violent. Almost 50 years later my mother deeply regrets not telling the authorities before the adoption.

      Sometimes you cannot change the mother's ways so if you do try to talk with her, don't expect much. But don't let it go on. It definitely sounds like the mother has a mental illness more than strong vegan principles.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

      Comment


      • #18
        if the baby is still being breast-fed it shouldn't be underweight, so there is some other kind of issue here, besides the obvious one of the utterly insufficient nutrition of a vegan diet for an infant. good god and baby jesus.

        are both the parents on-board with this lunacy? or is the dad simply taking a back seat? it may be possible to divide and conquer before getting cps involved, but whatever happens needs to be done yesterday.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

        – Ernest Hemingway

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by NewfMom View Post
          It is child abuse, but so is all the children who are fed crap all the time. What makes this so sad is that she believes she is doing the very best for her child. As Shazzie explains in her article below, the failures are not well known in the vegan community and are mostly covered up - she also states in the article that it is child abuse.

          I would share this information from these two Mom's who are well known in the vegan community...

          Shazzie's article on raw vegan children
          Shazzie wrote a book about it - her daughter now eats eggs, grass fed butter and cheese, and she supplements with DHA, EPA, K2, D3, etc.

          My Vegan Diet Caused Health Problems. Would Primal, Paleo, Or “Real Food” Be Better? » Kristen's Raw
          Kristen has transitioned to more of a primal diet.
          i just read these links. if children fail to thrive and suffer so badly, why do adults think this is ok for themselves? my gawd, people are stoopid.
          Last edited by noodletoy; 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

          – Ernest Hemingway

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            if the baby is still being breast-fed it shouldn't be underweight, so there is some other kind of issue here, besides the obvious one of the utterly insufficient nutrition of a vegan diet for an infant. good god and baby jesus.

            are both the parents on-board with this lunacy? or is the dad simply taking a back seat? it may be possible to divide and conquer before getting cps involved, but whatever happens needs to be done yesterday.
            Actually, malnourishment is extremely common amongst babies who breast-feed from vegan mothers. It's a crime. If you must be vegan, don't dare even consider reproducing (Don't worry, nature will sort this out for you soon enough).
            The Champagne of Beards

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              It definitely sounds like the mother has a mental illness more than strong vegan principles.
              Chicken or egg?
              The Champagne of Beards

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Actually, malnourishment is extremely common amongst babies who breast-feed from vegan mothers. It's a crime. If you must be vegan, don't dare even consider reproducing (Don't worry, nature will sort this out for you soon enough).
                op doesn't specify that the mom is vegan too, but you are absolutely right.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                – Ernest Hemingway

                Comment


                • #23
                  My other thought is 1 and has never seen a doctor? There could be lots wrong!
                  Indeed. Get the child to a doctor first thing, would be my advice. The doctor may be able to give advice in the way the DIL will take it. I would also go through your son if possible to suggest it. If that advice fails, you may need CPS, but I would hate to go there first. However, if the child is really in danger you may have to, no matter what trouble it causes.

                  Could you set up a doctors appointment and visit to make sure it happens? That would be the first thing I would do.

                  The fear of a fat baby is a bit problem as well, sounds like it might be bigger than the vegan issue. There was someone on myfitnesspal the other day who said their doctor told them that babies need fat and to feed it butter and she was still freaking out about it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Looks like crime.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by lea View Post
                      Indeed. Get the child to a doctor first thing, would be my advice. The doctor may be able to give advice in the way the DIL will take it. I would also go through your son if possible to suggest it. If that advice fails, you may need CPS, but I would hate to go there first. However, if the child is really in danger you may have to, no matter what trouble it causes.

                      Could you set up a doctors appointment and visit to make sure it happens? That would be the first thing I would do.

                      The fear of a fat baby is a bit problem as well, sounds like it might be bigger than the vegan issue. There was someone on myfitnesspal the other day who said their doctor told them that babies need fat and to feed it butter and she was still freaking out about it.
                      I agree with this, calling CPS without exhausting other options seems extreme. It may eventually (but hopefully not) become necessary, but I'd say talk to the son and try to get them to see a doctor first. Any mildly competent doctor will recognize malnourishment and failure to thrive in that baby.

                      Which, WHY have they never taken the baby to see a doctor? Is there an intense fear or distrust of doctors? Even if I didn't feel that baby check ups were worthwhile in general, I cannot imagine seeing that my child is THAT much smaller than others of a similar age and not being very, very concerned. I really just cannot fathom why there has not been a single trip to the doctor.
                      No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                      -Maimonodies

                      The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

                      Babes with BBQ

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I would hesitate to bring CPS in right away. Families are often torn apart needlessly because they have to go by their guidelines and are often too understaffed and underfunded to take the time to help in the way I am sure we all would like to see. However, immediate intervention of some sort needs to happen ASAP.

                        This family needs a hero and it is beyond my comprehension why Dad or a family member or friend hasn't stepped up. This mom sounds like she has mental issues big time and her child is suffering because of it. If there is nobody close to them to immediately step up then CPS should be involved. Very sad story.

                        Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                          I would hesitate to bring CPS in right away. Families are often torn apart needlessly because they have to go by their guidelines and are often too understaffed and underfunded to take the time to help in the way I am sure we all would like to see. However, immediate intervention of some sort needs to happen ASAP.

                          This family needs a hero and it is beyond my comprehension why Dad or a family member or friend hasn't stepped up. This mom sounds like she has mental issues big time and her child is suffering because of it. If there is nobody close to them to immediately step up then CPS should be involved. Very sad story.
                          This is an imminent threat to the baby's development of body and brain. Don't hesitate. It may be too late already, but if you don't act now, you might regret it later.
                          The Champagne of Beards

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            This is an imminent threat to the baby's development of body and brain. Don't hesitate. It may be too late already, but if you don't act now, you might regret it later.
                            I think that is what I said.

                            Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                              I would hesitate to bring CPS in right away.
                              Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              Don't hesitate.
                              Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                              I think that is what I said.
                              If you say so.
                              The Champagne of Beards

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                This is an imminent threat to the baby's development of body and brain. Don't hesitate. It may be too late already, but if you don't act now, you might regret it later.
                                Which is why I would take the child to a DOCTOR asap. The doctor is more likely to be helpful immediately than CPS, and if they suspect abuse will indeed call CPS. And if you call CPS and they are actually helpful, they will send the child to a doctor.

                                Cut out the middleman and rush the child into the doctors office immediately.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X