Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bloating, fructose malabsorption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bloating, fructose malabsorption

    Since I've been on the Paleo lifestyle, I've been experiencing bloating. I'm gluten intolrerant and lactose intolerant. Could this be fructose malabsorption? I feel lost. I used to eat tons of bread, litres of icecream, total sugar addict and no bloating ever. I had a flat stomach, was 105 lbs and had energy. I found out I had gluten intolerance with little symptoms, just mild cramps. Stopped eating gluten and the cramps went away, and I gained 10 lbs in two months. Still no bloating. Strated Paleo to help with iron deficiency and I am now experiencing bad bloating, I look like I'm pregnant not long after a meal. Is it coconut? But I noticed it after eating a big salad too. Anyone have fructose malabsorption? Or coconut intolerance? Or lettuce allergy???? I'm thinking of trying the FODMAP diet.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

  • #2
    A few things stand out to me
    -Some people cannot tolerate coconut products that well. If that's new in your diet, try cutting back on it/stop using it and see how that helps.
    -Many people do not digest raw veggies well. If you didn't eat raw salad that often (or huge ones) in the past, try reducing that or not eating them for a little while to see if that helps. Try sticking to cooked veggies only.
    -Are you eating fruit? If you aren't eating fruit, fructose malabsorption is not likely to be an issue.
    -What is your average day of meals like? Any other digestive issues aside from bloating?
    Depression Lies

    Comment


    • #3
      I am FODMAPS-intolerant. (As well as gluten and lactose-intolerant.)

      I eat very few veggies these days (yay!) and get my micronutrients from meat, eggs, liver, seafood and cheese. Never felt better.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        -Are you eating fruit? If you aren't eating fruit, fructose malabsorption is not likely to be an issue.
        -What is your average day of meals like? Any other digestive issues aside from bloating?
        Thanks!
        I do eat fruits, lots of fruits. I'm still struggling with sugar cravings after almost 4 months Paleo so I eat fruits.

        On an average day I will have:
        Breakfast: smoothie (blueberries, coconut milk, raw egg)
        Lunch: salad with sardines and homemade vinaigrette (seame oil/apple vinegar/maple sirup)
        Dinner:meat (chicken or beef or bison) with veggies (brocoli/cabbage/potatoes/etc).
        Snacks: apples/dark chocolate/oranges/berries/nuts
        Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks Dragonfly!

          How did you start the low FODMAPd iet, what helped you figure out what to eat/not eat? Any good books on the subject?
          What cheese do you eat? I stay away from it (lactose intolerant).

          Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
          I am FODMAPS-intolerant. (As well as gluten and lactose-intolerant.)

          I eat very few veggies these days (yay!) and get my micronutrients from meat, eggs, liver, seafood and cheese. Never felt better.
          Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd start one-by-one eliminating all of the recent additions or increases. A few things you mentioned are commonly known to bloat some people: coconut, broccoli, apples, raw fibrous veggies, etc. Start by taking out coconut for 6-7 days and see what happens, then everything else. Nothing wrong with fruit but important to find the kinds that you do well with!
            | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

            “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks j3nn!

              I will follow your advice and thanks for your input about transitionning my kids.
              You have supportive and encouraging replies.
              Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Waterlily View Post
                Thanks j3nn!

                I will follow your advice and thanks for your input about transitionning my kids.
                You have supportive and encouraging replies.
                No problemo! Hope you find some relief.
                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

                “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Waterlily View Post
                  Thanks Dragonfly!

                  How did you start the low FODMAPd iet, what helped you figure out what to eat/not eat? Any good books on the subject?
                  What cheese do you eat? I stay away from it (lactose intolerant).
                  I just dropped all veggies/fruits and started adding them back one at a time. Really the only way to do it, since sensitivity varies across individuals. I can eat spinach, tomatoes, pickles, olives, chard, and berries...probably a few more I am forgetting.

                  Don't know about books, but this article may be helpful: FODMAPs, IBS and the Paleo diet.

                  Any hard cheese will not have lactose in it.
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Go back to how you used to eat!!!

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Zach View Post
                      Go back to how you used to eat!!!


                      Ha, ha, ha!
                      I wish...
                      Can't anymore, started to notice problems two years ago.
                      I used to eat one BaskinRobin icecream container a day. Sooo yummy! Did not gain weight, still can't understand why.

                      When I look at my dear husband, I wonder how things work. He's somewhat overweight, eats a SAD diet, is stressed, sleeps only a few hours a night and is NEVER sick, ever. We all get the flu/cold/stomach flu, one after the other (the kids and I) and he takes care of us all and never catches anything. Why?
                      Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        I had horrible bloating which would get progressively worse throughout the day and by evening it hurt to take deep breaths...I starde with SCD, then found primal and am now keto/primal and it is finally better! I eliminated all fruits and veggies and just ate meat and fat (butter, ghee) and was completely flat and soft in 2ish days...then I tried things one by one and discovered basically that except for spinach, lettuce, cukes and a little of tomato, everything else causes bloating...

                        I'm transitioning to a basically all meat and fat diet though I still keep buying veggies once in a while (old vegetarian habits die hard lol)...I have daily - 1-2 oz of liverwurst or braunschweiger, a cup of bone broth, and seaweed snax (for iodine and other things), and the Calton multivitamin am/pm drink...I think I have covered most of my nutritional bases without veggies/fruits (CW be damned) and feel freaking awesome!!! It took about 6 months of working on my n=1 and am still tweaking so don't give up...
                        strip your diet to the bare bones, have patience and test from there.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                          this article may be helpful: FODMAPs, IBS and the Paleo diet.
                          Thanks!
                          I just looked at both, good info, helpful, thanks!
                          Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by aprimalmomma View Post
                            I had horrible bloating which would get progressively worse throughout the day and by evening it hurt to take deep breaths...I starde with SCD, then found primal and am now keto/primal and it is finally better! I eliminated all fruits and veggies and just ate meat and fat (butter, ghee) and was completely flat and soft in 2ish days...then I tried things one by one and discovered basically that except for spinach, lettuce, cukes and a little of tomato, everything else causes bloating...

                            I'm transitioning to a basically all meat and fat diet though I still keep buying veggies once in a while (old vegetarian habits die hard lol)...I have daily - 1-2 oz of liverwurst or braunschweiger, a cup of bone broth, and seaweed snax (for iodine and other things), and the Calton multivitamin am/pm drink...I think I have covered most of my nutritional bases without veggies/fruits (CW be damned) and feel freaking awesome!!! It took about 6 months of working on my n=1 and am still tweaking so don't give up...
                            strip your diet to the bare bones, have patience and test from there.
                            Thanks for the very detailed information aprimalmomma!
                            I'm taking notes, may have to try what you did. Eating only meat and fat is somewhat scary... I need to learn more about it.
                            Last edited by Waterlily; 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM.
                            Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X