No Dairy - need Calcium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
    I would advise bone broth. Vitamin d3 and vit k2 supplements alongside weight training. If I didn't have a lot to do I could dig out the studies for you. Of course this assumes you haven't got any other disease issues.
    ^^this. while americans eat tons of dairy, plenty of other cultures do not and yet do not have the osteoporosis issues we do.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Martini View Post
      The point is calcium deficits are pretty rare even without milk bonebroth or whatever same goes for Vitamine A, in contrary vitamin D3 deficency is severe in many people especially elderly. Same goes for K2 and Magnesium.
      For Bones you need Calcium,A,D,K2 and magnesium. Since Calcium and A is normally not a problem you should focus on the other three instead which are a problem for most people.
      That means supplementing D,K2 and magnesium is probably helpful and supplementing C and A is not even worse there is a lot of evidence that it is counterproductive.
      So how much calcium is enough? I gather most primals would put it at a lot less than the USDA RDI?

Comment

Calcium is recycled in the body and deficiency is rare. The problem arises when parathyroid hormone and or vitamin D3 are not working correctly or deficient. The body either deposits calcium in the bone or extracts it from bone depending on the signals it receives. Give it the right signals and it will deposit. This is not correlated with dietary calcium although severe deficiency is to be avoided.
        Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
        www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

So how much calcium is enough? I gather most primals would put it at a lot less than the USDA RDI?
          The Jaminet's book (most profound on this topics in my point of view) estimates 741 milligram per day as optimum and 700-900 milligram per day as peak health range. More is getting counterproductive to your health pretty fast in their point of view, so in the case of calcium a small deficit seems to be much less of a concern that overdosing it.

To reach 700 mg/day is very easy on a healthy diet. For me its actually more of a problem to stay below the upper limit.
          So I guess its not that Paleo eaters are not concerned with Calcium but rather have enough (or even too much sometimes) of it anyway.

Comment

Very interesting info.
            Maybe I should let my CW doctor know about it...
            Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
              My worry though, is that at the tender age of 51, my need for calcium is essential...
              Is it though? I don't buy the whole calcium story. Certainly not the RDA made up numbers, aren't those just to sell milk? Seems like there are a lot of things important to bone health -- vitamin D, boron, silicon. Anyhow, super skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                Is it though? I don't buy the whole calcium story. Certainly not the RDA made up numbers, aren't those just to sell milk? Seems like there are a lot of things important to bone health -- vitamin D, boron, silicon. Anyhow, super skeptical.
                I'm with you there. Somehow humans had strong bones in the past without constantly devouring the liquid from cow teats.

I don't think the amount of calcium in a diet matters as much as the other nutrients mentioned, as well as the fundamental need for the body to maintain strong bones. Put some weight on your skeleton. Make your body want stronger bones. I think bones are similar to muscles in a way. Will your body grow big strong muscles if you just stuff your face with protein? Well, not really, it has to have a stimulus it's trying to adapt to which requires said big strong muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                  I'm with you there. Somehow humans had strong bones in the past without constantly devouring the liquid from cow teats.

I don't think the amount of calcium in a diet matters as much as the other nutrients mentioned, as well as the fundamental need for the body to maintain strong bones. Put some weight on your skeleton. Make your body want stronger bones. I think bones are similar to muscles in a way. Will your body grow big strong muscles if you just stuff your face with protein? Well, not really, it has to have a stimulus it's trying to adapt to which requires said big strong muscles.
                  Humans in the past didn't tend to survive past age 50, which is when something like osteoporisis starts to be a problem. I'm not too clued up on this subject, but supplementing calcium doesn't seem to improve bone health at all. I think like others pointed out, you also need the synergistic vitamins.

As for OP. If you can tolerate dairy eat it. You said it improved your digestive health. Its unlikely that dairy is going to impede weight loss.
                  http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I had heard that the problem with calcium from dairy for bone health wasn't so much lack of bio-availability, but the relative lack of supporting nutrients, such as magnesium and vitamins A, D and K.

In other words, calcium from dairy only works if the rest of your diet is good.

Any views on that?

Comment

No Dairy - need Calcium

Try TUMS peppermint tablets. No food coloring and comes in the form of calcium carbonate. I would take vit d3 and eat saturated fat (d3 is fat soluble) with it.

I take d3 and tums in the morning with my coffee-milk (grassfed whole milk).

Calcium is important for health... Even if it isn't "required" for bone health. I make bone broth for bone health but I still take calcium seriously.
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                      X