No announcement yet.

Mark's carb suggestions almost killed me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four out of your five posts directly blame Mark for your situation. I don't want to be rude but you need to give your head a shake. All the best to you.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
      The claim that he made was true, but that doesn't mean it should be applied in every situation. I'm all for blaming the flawed ideologies of certain diets, but this is your fault. Have the common sense to do the research yourself and not jump at any opportunity to follow your distorted interpretations of what someone is recommending.
      Speaking of flawed ideologies, isn't Mark one of the few prominent health bloggers on the internet presenting a distorted if not entirely false view of carbohydrate metabolism that can lead to an irrational fear of glucose and a very low carb meat-based diet? Every diet guru tells a very convincing tale of why their diet is best. I don't begrudge the brainwashed, and it happens very easily in the low carb community.

Comment

Originally posted by abel View Post
        Which I don't do. You can't stop moaning about what I did when you don't even know the whole story. The truth is, that even if I quitted at the first bad experience, would not change the fact that Mark is claiming things that are dangerous and irrespnsible.
        Then why don't you tell the whole story before blaming someone for your own mistakes? Seems to me you're just looking for some kind of confirmation that you're the victim in this case, but I'm sorry to say that you're not.
        My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
          Speaking of flawed ideologies, isn't Mark one of the few prominent health bloggers on the internet presenting a distorted if not entirely false view of carbohydrate metabolism that can lead to an irrational fear of glucose and a very low carb meat-based diet? Every diet guru tells a very convincing tale of why their diet is best. I don't begrudge the brainwashed, and it happens very easily in the low carb community.
          I agree that brain-washing happens. But in this case, the OP is skewing Mark's recommendations. I'm not defending Mark here as I disagree with him about plenty of things, I'm just stating the facts. The facts are that Mark does not recommend an extremely low carb diet. If he actually recommended this, then I could see how someone would blame him, but he doesn't.

Comment

I don't even see the point that some of you are trying to make. first you say that Mark's point about no requirement for carbs is legit, and than calling me stupid for listening to it.
            If you want to talk about my stupid decision making, I'm happy to tell you the whole story, and you will understand it.
            If we are talking about the claims of Mark, it is totally clear, that this one was not a responsible one.

Comment

"The facts are that Mark does not recommend an extremely low carb diet. If he actually recommended this, then I could see how someone would blame him, but he doesn't."

Sorry but what would you call it when someone sais "you could even go with 0 carbs because there is no requirement for it?" Might not be an actual recommendation, but pretty damn close to it.

Comment

"The facts are that Mark does not recommend an extremely low carb diet. If he actually recommended this, then I could see how someone would blame him, but he doesn't."

Sorry but what would you call it when someone sais "you could even go with 0 carbs because there is no requirement for it?" Might not be an actual recommendation, but pretty damn close to it.
                He's stating facts. People say this all the time because it's true. It's your fault that you thought this meant to consume zero carbs. Stop with your nonsense.

Comment

I agree that brain-washing happens. But in this case, the OP is skewing Mark's recommendations. I'm not defending Mark here as I disagree with him about plenty of things, I'm just stating the facts. The facts are that Mark does not recommend an extremely low carb diet. If he actually recommended this, then I could see how someone would blame him, but he doesn't.
                  It's hard to blame the individual for not following the recommendations of what's supposed to be a blueprint. And as per his recommendations, sweet potatoes (which I'd classify as a low carb food) should only be for athletes. Berries and squash and salads for the rest of us, which is a low carb diet by design, not to mention 0 - 50 grams of carbohydrates falls in the "effortless weight loss" zone of the carbohydrate curve, as well as the fat burning beast schtick and how you should eat plenty of "good fats". There's more than enough on the blog to convince your average person that carbohydrates are the devil. I think you're being too hard on abel.

Comment

He's stating facts. People say this all the time because it's true. It's your fault that you thought this meant to consume zero carbs. Stop with your nonsense.
                    What the hell are you talking about? There is no requirement for carbs and we don't have to eat it, but it doesn't mean zero carbs?

Comment

What the hell are you talking about? There is no requirement for carbs and we don't have to eat it, but it doesn't mean zero carbs?
                      There's no physiological requirement for carbs because the body can convert other substrates into glucose via gluconeogenesis. This is not an ideal situation, but technically the body has no real need for dietary carbohydrates. Again, if you think that this means you shouldn't eat any carbohydrates, that's your own problem.

Why didn't you follow what he actually recommends, rather than something he said in an interview that has nothing to do with what he recommends, it's just a statement of fact. Why don't you take responsibility for your own issues? Blaming others is a ridiculous way to justify your own actions. I think it's time for some self-reflection.

Comment

Since this is what you believe, I suggest you stop trolling and take a trip over to the zero carb forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
                          It's hard to blame the individual for not following the recommendations of what's supposed to be a blueprint.
                          No, it's not at all. That's just like someone saying that they're following the Paleo diet, but they eat five cookies a day, and it's Robb Wolf's fault that the Paleo diet didn't give him results.

And as per his recommendations, sweet potatoes (which I'd classify as a low carb food) should only be for athletes. Berries and squash and salads for the rest of us, which is a low carb diet by design, not to mention 0 - 50 grams of carbohydrates falls in the "effortless weight loss" zone of the carbohydrate curve, as well as the fat burning beast schtick and how you should eat plenty of "good fats". There's more than enough on the blog to convince your average person that carbohydrates are the devil. I think you're being too hard on abel.
                          I don't think I'm being too hard on him at all. He took what he thought was a recommendation to the extreme and he paid the price. Anyone who knows how to read and actually does some research for themselves and listens to their body will know that something is wrong with what they're doing.

If I react poorly to something I eat, I stop eating it. I don't keep eating it over and over again, while still getting the same result, and wonder why someone recommended that I eat this. This is common sense, and it's something that Abel seems to be lacking.

Comment

There's no physiological requirement for carbs because the body can convert other substrates into glucose via gluconeogenesis. This is not an ideal situation, but technically the body has no real need for dietary carbohydrates. Again, if you think that this means you shouldn't eat any carbohydrates, that's your own problem.

Why didn't you follow what he actually recommends, rather than something he said in an interview that has nothing to do with what he recommends, it's just a statement of fact. Why don't you take responsibility for your own issues? Blaming others is a ridiculous way to justify your own actions. I think it's time for some self-reflection.
                            There's nothing more to say to your bias in the topic. When I tell you "jakejoh10, guess what, you could go your entire life without any carbs, there is just no require for it" I won't expect you to translate my words into "you could survive without any carbs but you should eat them".

There is really no point of trying to prove this anymore, there is enough words written on the site that suggests that eating zero carb is a totally legit way to go.

Comment

It seems you are confusing words. Mark may say you could go 0 carbs, meaning it's possible. He does not say you should, meaning 0 carbs is a definite part of his plan.

In fact, Mark does say that going VLC (<50 grams) for a short period of time to kick start weight loss. He does not recommend it as a long term ideal.

Mark also recommends lifting heavy thing. That is another thing left up to interpretation and based on individual needs/abilities. For some people LHT might mean lifting hundreds of pounds. For others, it might mean lifting 10 pounds.

If the 10 pound person gets hurt trying to lift a weight they aren't strong enough/ready for, that's on them. They can not blame Mark, for their choice, just because he promotes LHT.

Applying common sense, in all areas of our lives, is a good thing.

Comment

The forum's giving me trouble at the moment. I'll respond later.

Comment

Working...
                                X