Primal Kids--Is it safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Kids--Is it safe?

Hi everyone. I have a 6-year old daughter who wants to go primal like her parents. I'm all for it, but my husband has some reservations about putting a young child on a diet without goldfish crackers and spaghetti. Our daughter is also very small for her age, in the lower 3 percentile of average heights for her age, and skinny as a string bean. However, she's currently healthy without any growth abnormalities, and her size, while small, is pediatrician approved.

Part of the reason I'd like her to go on the primal diet is that since I've given up wheat, my milk allergy has disappeared. My daughter has shared this milk allergy and she would love to be able to drink milk again, but at the same time we want to keep her calorie intake up and she's a natural carb-ivour.

So does anyone have any advice or research to share about putting kids on a primal diet? Is it safe? Is it different from an adult primal diet?
    "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

Is it safe for kids to eat healthy while foods? Meat, seafood, frit and veg?...

I'd wager the answer is yes.

Why are you both eating primal? How can it be safe for you but not for her?

What vital nutrients does he feel will be missing from her diet if she hates like you.

I'd say if she's healthy and not over weight, let her eat whatever she wants as long as it's primal. Buy that i mean don't worry too much fruit, not enough if this etc.

Most kids go through phases of liking or bit lining particular foods, as long as she only had good options to choose from that's fine. Her body will most likely respond well and guide her to eat what she needs to.

You won't be able to control everything she eats 100% of the time, so just make sure it's all good at home and don't sweat it if she had some candy etc at get grandparents or friends house. The only concern would be gluten if it does turn out that she shares your intolerance to it.
    Last edited by Misabi; 07-05-2013, 02:17 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Is it safe for kids to eat natural foods? I suppose so. I grew up fine.

Just make sure she gets plenty of carbs.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

So primal might be safe for you and hubby but not for her? That logic doesn't make sense to me.

I mean if you're doing it for health reasons then what benefits that you get out of it won't she be able to get? It you're worried about carbs you have fruit and starchy tubers.

Just make sure her caloric levels are in check and go for it!
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
          Just make sure she gets plenty of carbs.
          Depends on activity level I'd say. I'd start with Perfect Health Diet recommendation of 125-150 a day and go up from there if she's extremely active.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Got a 6 and 3 year old myself that are Primal kids and they are doing great!

Rice cereal and raw milk are used frequently for them vs. me and the wifes adult version.

Other than that we all eat the same stuff.

Comment

I agree with Misabi, ask your husband what nutrients he feels she will be missing if she eat primally. If he worries about her carb intake she doesn't have to be low carb, she can have rice, potatoes, fruit, she can even have rice pasta. Our 15 yr old son eats this way, he is 5'10" and very healthy so if it can fuel a growing teenager I'm sure it can work for younger kids.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Perfectly fine! Real food is always best. Incorporate more of the Perfect Health Diet for her: potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice and rice pasta, etc. You can make delicious homemade goldfish crackers with rice and tapioca flour. Also, rice spaghetti is delish. If she likes her carbs, she will probably love it. Fruit, freshly squeezed fruit and veggie juice, soups, cheese -- all kid-friendly.
                | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Hi Scarlet,

for a tiny child like yours, deficient foods like crackers and spaghetti are precisely the things that need to be minimized in her diet. All primal foods - eggs, meat, plenty veges and fruit are nutrient dense and will help to build her up.

My daughter was similar, under the 3 percentile but otherwise healthy. I had to learn to make every bite count. Extra butter, cream etc. Make sure her food is easy to eat, ie tender, cut into bite sizes etc. Whatever will get it into her. Yes she can eat carbs such as sweet potato but make sure they are also drenched in fat, to keep the calories up. Whip an egg into everything. Whole milk not skim.

Now she is 12 and still lean but very fit and muscular, robust and healthy. SHe eats more junk than I would like, but at least not at the expense of real food. When younger there really was no room for junk at all, it would just destroy her appetite.

Best wishes.
                  Annie Ups the Ante
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I have a very small daughter as well. She's 10 and in the 3-5th percentile as well. We have found that gradually converting her to primal works best - she likes rice spaghetti, eggs, meats, fruits and veggies. She still occasionally eats bread, but we've gotten her off her daily bagel or two. She's happy and healthy and is getting and more primal in her choices.

Comment

Fruit, vegetables and meat less safe than mass-produced goldfish crackers and nutritionally void spaghetti? Is he mad?
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ScarletFrost View Post
                        Hi everyone. I have a 6-year old daughter who wants to go primal like her parents. I'm all for it, but my husband has some reservations about putting a young child on a diet without goldfish crackers and spaghetti. Our daughter is also very small for her age, in the lower 3 percentile of average heights for her age, and skinny as a string bean. However, she's currently healthy without any growth abnormalities, and her size, while small, is pediatrician approved.

Part of the reason I'd like her to go on the primal diet is that since I've given up wheat, my milk allergy has disappeared. My daughter has shared this milk allergy and she would love to be able to drink milk again, but at the same time we want to keep her calorie intake up and she's a natural carb-ivour.

So does anyone have any advice or research to share about putting kids on a primal diet? Is it safe? Is it different from an adult primal diet?
                        Our very existence is a fact that a Primal diet worked for humans biologically identical to us for tens or hundreds of thousands of years. Also, this:

Meat Builds Husky Babies! » Sociological Images
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Yes I think kids need much more carbs than adults ( especially if adults are sedentary)

She could eat rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit, veg for carbs.
                          PHD diet as mentioned is good - Mark Sisson wrote the forward for their book.
                          Mark wrote an article on MDA that rice is a safe grain ( high in Carb if you want/need it but low in other nutrients - so just a carb filler).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/

Consider rice noodles.

Use search box on MDA page for 'primal children'
                          Eg I found this article :
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/raisi...-picky-eaters/
                          "I know folks – good, healthy, well-intentioned people who are strongly committed to eating Primal – but feed their kids SAD. They themselves wouldn’t touch the Cheerios or Gold Fish crackers their kids are snacking on, but there’s the paradox."

I'm not a fan of wheat too many toxins for the gut and body and anti-nutrients meaning more nutrients bound up and are excreted with out being absorbed by the body.

No sure if I misunderstood the gold fish cracker bit ( sarcasm???)
                          My guessed ingredients are:
                          Wheat - toxins and anti nutrients
                          Other grains
                          Sugar ( maybe HFCS) & salt
                          Artificial colours
                          Artificial flavours
                          Preservatives

So in my opinion if you want her to grow as best she can and be healthy then go for something like a high Carb version of primal or the PHD.

PHD I read the first twenty pages on my mobile device at:
                          http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/114...800#fullscreen

Comment

A lot of people who feed their kids a high carb SAD end up displacing protein foods and fresh fruits and vegetables with processed carbs, including gallons of purified "natural" fruit juice and lots of sweetened and unsweetened baked goods. Kids do not need people to attempt to get them to eat lots of carbs. They will eat carbs themselves if they crave them and have some available.

Serve her the same foods you eat, plenty of variety, and let her choose from among those healthy foods. And make sure if she gets hungry between meals she has real food available.

Comment

My daughter has been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet since 1/01/2006, at which point she was 5 yo. In case you do not know of it, it handles gut issues like ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, and completely eliminates ALL legumes/beans, ALL grains of any stripe, all added sugars, all tubers, all flours made from starches like tapioca/arrowroot/etc, all dairy until much later, all soy, and some other things around the edges (sugar alcohols like xylitol, seaweed, fruit juices of any kind). She has been consistently followed by a certified nutritionist from the Cleveland Clinic's children's hospital from day one of this diet, just for their reassurance. The only thing I have ever been told after our annual diet study and consult is to "give her a multi and a calcium, but we tell everybody that". Her pediatrician has also always been satisfied.

If my kid can grow, and actually improve her percentages on the growth chart with this strict of a diet, your little one will be just fine on the Primal with some rice and spuds and squashes and the like. Mine eats real food: meat, fish, fowl, eggs, veggies, whole fruits, nuts and seeds, coconut milk and cream, saturated fats from plant and animal spurces, olive oil, fresh herbs, spices - whatever we can make from that list. She will be 13 shortly, and is trim, energetic, proportional in weight and size, still has clear skin despite being in puberty, and hasn't had a cavity since we began this diet.

No, she doesn't cheat - she is a special needs kid, and as such has her life pretty much completely monitored as she cannot be left alone. So I have, in essence, a really good lab specimen as far as diets go.
                              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Working...
                              X