No announcement yet.

Primal Kids--Is it safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm not understanding your husband's logic.. wheat products always make a big deal about being advertised as 'enriched with' vitamins and minerals they don't contain, which means that what nutrition she'd be getting from wheat she'd still be getting without wheat

that said, there are several forms of spaghetti. meat and sauce and whatever veggies she likes chunked up in. spaghetti squash noodles. rice/rice noodles. whatever concoction you make up on the fly

as for goldfish, why not little squares of cheddar cheese?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

I'm fascinated that not poisoning your kids is being questioned. H. sapiens did not evolve to eat goldfish crackers or spaghetti. This is like asking if it's okay to feed meat to your dog instead of corn pellets.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

My son is primal. My son has been primal since he was 2-ish, and he's strong and healthy.

Sometimes we cook him rice or quinoa at home. At school, he gets rice balls and gluten-free buns in addition to his packed lunch and their fruit snacks and veggie soup.

his usual day is as follows:

Breakfast: 2 eggs in butter plus veggies steamed in bone broth, plus 1/2 cup bone broth, plus berries with yogurt and cod liver oil.

Lunch: 3 meat sliders/balls plus cut veggies (usually cucumbers and bell peppers) plus fruit. obviously, the kindy provides soup, fresh cut fruit, and either rice balls or buns. DS doesn't often eat his lunch, because he gets so much veg/fruit/buns/rice balls.

Snacks: nuts, fruit, left over lunch, cut veggies

Dinner: tonight we had roasted chicken and broccoli and cauliflower with olive oil on the veg. he finished with another bowl of berries and yogurt, this time with flax oil on it.

My son eats a wide variety of foods -- far more than most of his american counterparts. Many kiwi kids eat pretty healthfully overall, just because of how the food supply is here. At least, in our circles, people are either WAPF styled or vegetarian/vegan, so there's a whole lot of whole foods going on.

My son's absolute favorite these days is sushi. He loves sushi! His favorite is salmon.
        Last edited by zoebird; 07-06-2013, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
          as for goldfish, why not little squares of cheddar cheese?
          Because that's not as fun. Please learn to carve thousands of tiny fish out of a wheel of cheddar. Thanks.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

you please learn to carve... stupid... from your brain!

yeah
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
              you please learn to carve... stupid... from your brain!

yeah
              Feels like You just got... - YouTube
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Our very existence is a fact that a Primal diet worked for humans biologically identical to us for tens or hundreds of thousands of years. Also, this:

Meat Builds Husky Babies! Sociological Images
                I seem to vaguely remember when liver and heart were considered baby food.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Feed your growing child a diet of nutrient dense, unprocessed, real food? What kind of monster are you??!! Lol

Just don't restrict her carbohydrates. Growing kids have higher energy needs. Primal is not low carb by default.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it all; Even the sarcastic comments.

Don't think too badly of my husband. Even though he's lost 5 pounds on his first 2 weeks of a Primal Diet, he doesn't understand it yet. (Not for lack of me talking about it or pushing the research on him.) My husband is like a rock--which is good when I need to rely on him. But at the same time, it takes a lot to convince him of something. He's stubborn and set in his ways, but he's also dedicated, loyal, and unshakable.

I'm just going to keep wearing him down with the facts, and we're going to stock the house with lots of nutritious food. Soon, it will not be economical to spend extra money on low-nutrient snacks for my daughter. I love the suggestions about rice noodles and other high-carb primal-friendly foods. I think that will really help reassure him that she's getting enough to eat. I think his biggest fear is that because the diet is helping him to loose weight, it will cause our daughter to loose weight, which wouldn't be good for her.

Thanks again for all the reassurance. I'm much more confidant now.
                    "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ScarletFrost View Post
                      I love the suggestions about rice noodles and other high-carb primal-friendly foods. I think that will really help reassure him that she's getting enough to eat. I think his biggest fear is that because the diet is helping him to loose weight, it will cause our daughter to loose weight, which wouldn't be good for her.
                      Maybe you could "sell it" like this to him:

Primal is NOT a weight loss diet.
                      Primal is a healthy way of eating that can bring people closer to their ideal healthy weight.

For him : he's too 'heavy' and he will loose weight by eating healthy food (maybe limit the carbs to do this)
                      For the daughter : she's under-weight she will gain weight and grow by eating healthy food (eat plenty of carbs)

In both case the weight changes for the better.

Usually people move towards their proper healthy weight when eating healthy foods.

I am a fully grown adult, I initially lost weight (mostly fat) about 13lb and became very lean (~140), then the last 3 months or so I adjusted the amounts and ratio's (and recently upped the carbs even more) and now I have gained the 13 lbs back (~153 - again) - difference is the gains were mostly muscle this time (not much fat).

Waist size shrunk when I went from 153 to 140, but did NOT increase when I went from 140 to 153 - shoulders/chest/arms/legs are bigger than before (weight work helps too )

So now I'm a reasonably lean and healthy 153, as opposed to my previous 'soft' not-so-healthy 153 - now a much better composition and general health.

I'm going to continue with the slow weight gains (eating plenty of 'primal foods' & lifting weights) and see if I can comfortably get to somewhere close to 160 ( and if i can carry that weight well) - of course a lean/healthy 160

The 'take-home message' is that you can gain weight eating primal.

Good luck.

Comment

We're working on different foods to help our daughter. We had almond crepes with organic cream cheese and chicken sausage for breakfast today. We're also including more zucchini and yellow squash in our diet to take the place of noodles and pizza dough. We're also taking lunches of beef summer sausage, cheese, and fresh veggie or fruit. We usually give my daughter milk, fruit, and cheese for breakfast and lunch. She sometimes has a grilled cheese sandwich made with Ezekiel bread. She is a cheese fiend, so almost any cheese is eaten without question, espeically when paired with fruit. She's even become a fan of meet-zzias. She'll eat a drumstick or a few bites of meet, but deep down I think she's a carb-avore (probably because carbs were the only thing I could keep down while I was pregnant with her) so we're trying to find good sources like sweet potatoes, yams, fruits and veggies, and dishes with white rice.
                        "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ScarletFrost View Post
                          I think she's a carb-avore (probably because carbs were the only thing I could keep down while I was pregnant with her) so we're trying to find good sources like sweet potatoes, yams, fruits and veggies, and dishes with white rice.
                          Um yeah more than one person suggested carbs should be provided to a young growing child - potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, yams, fruits, veg.

Probably a good idea to provide plenty of these foods.

Comment

Scarlett, it's good to see you all still persevering with primal. Your food sounds good, I hope you are all enjoying it and feeling strong and healthy. It's great that your child is eating milk, cheese and fruit with some veges and meat. I would put in another plug for eggs, you can incorporate them in lots of dishes (rice pudding, waffles, muffins, custard) and they are very nutritious. Or she might just like them plain at breakfast or lunch.
                            Annie Ups the Ante
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Working...
                            X