Green vs Black avocados?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sting View Post
    Don't understand what you mean what program?

I think by 'program' cori is referring to her post not any specific diet program/way of eating etc. The point being that FL avocados lack much of what makes avocados good - the creaminess, the fat, the smooth-fantastic-tasting awesomeness. They are watery and not as pleasant as their haas cousins. It is like why don't I eat frozen yogurt...well, because it is everything ice cream isn't - it is not smooth and creamy and full of yummy goodness. FL avocados are the fro-yo of the avocado world.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
      But at this point I'm guessing that you are just being obtuse on purpose, and it's all good.
      Sting uses English as a second language with high skill, so we sometimes forget how bizarre and hard to understand we make the language. ;-)
      “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
      Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
        Sting uses English as a second language with high skill, so we sometimes forget how bizarre and hard to understand we make the language. ;-)
        Ahhh...
        Thank you.
        I saw Australia and assumed English and thought he was taking a piss with a bit of dry humor.

Sorry Sting!

I really just think they taste horrible and watery compared to the black ones.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

English? Meh

No idea what are Florida avos. Something parochial I guess

Here Haas are most common but relatively recent. More traditional avo has smooth green skin and is more watery in flavour. Nothing that a good vinaigrette won't fix
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
            Only get the haas ones in UK.

London
            Not so, we have both the small black ones and the big green ones. Yes the smaller black ones taste better if eaten on it sown, but the larger green ones are good for making recipes such as guacamole, and even putting with a big salad.

Comment

Came across South African ones yesterday much more greener & bigger

London

Comment

Just because an avocado is green on the outside doesn't mean it comes from Florida. There was a hybrid developed that has less fat that I think they call the Florida avocado.

I live on the remains of an old avocado orchard. We have hass, big bacon avocados, pear-shaped green ones, little black ones that are terrible, sort of minty. I like them all except the little black ones. The big bacon ones are less creamy but sometimes I really like them that way, plus it's nice to eat an avocado the size of a kid's football that I didn't have to pay for.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
                  haha true

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  Ahhh...
                  Thank you.
                  I saw Australia and assumed English and thought he was taking a piss with a bit of dry humor.

Sorry Sting!

I really just think they taste horrible and watery compared to the black ones.
                  no probs

Also are Slimcados the same as Florida Avocados?

Comment

Here the most common varieties are Hass and Fuerte (the watery green ones). Hass are much the best, ours are large. We have a male Hass and a female Fuerte in the back yard, along with pomegranates, oranges, apricots, figs, etc. As each season comes we gorge ourselves and supply our neighbors. Sometimes I'm motivated to dry the apricots and peaches for winter.
                    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Black avocado is more popular in comparison to green one. It accounts for 80 percent of all avocados cultivated in the whole world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
                        Sometimes I'm motivated to dry the apricots and peaches for winter.
                        Oh you are so lucky! I would love to have all the dried peaches and apricots I could eat.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sting View Post

Also are Slimcados the same as Florida Avocados?
                          Yes, the "Slimcados" are the same as the Florida Avocado.
                          Sometimes also sold as the "Lite" Avocado.
                          They are large and smooth and shiny green.

And horrible IMO.
                          The texture is too firm and the taste is watery in comparison to a Haas type common small black, pebbly skinned avocado.

Sb,
                          I've actually had some of the little minty-ish ones and liked the character of them. They were small almost completely round haas types from Mexico, buttery flesh but a sort of herbal and clean taste. I can understand why not everyone would I guess since most people expect a neutral flavor.
                          Last edited by cori93437; 07-05-2013, 10:54 AM.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                          X