Help Shut my CICO Friend Up - THE GHEE CHALLENGE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Shut my CICO Friend Up - THE GHEE CHALLENGE

Please let me know any risks you foresee in me drinking 1000kcal of melted ghee (about 140g) every morning for two weeks just in order to prove a point with my CICO buddy.

Seriously, I've had it with this guy. I swear he has dreams about having sex with CICO professors doused in Coke Zero. All he does is walk around like a doofus saying that you can lose weight by reducing calories, that the source of the calories doesn't matter.

I'm going to prove him wrong by drinking 140g of melted ghee (or equivalent in melted butter, macadamia oil, olive oil, etc) in addition to my regular diet, and show him that I didn't put on the several kg of fat he is expecting I will.

FOR SCIENCE!!!

btw I am fat-adapted.

Comment

This is not for science. This is for complete and utter nonsense.
      My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

I think you might enjoy Sam Feltham and his 5000 cal challenge.

Why I Didn't Get Fat From Eating 5,000 Calories A Day | Smash The Fat LIVE
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Cico??

Comment

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
            Cico??
            Calories in, Calories out theory of weightloss and gain.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Oh right, I'm not down with the lingo ... -_-

Comment

Randomcow, what makes you think that an extra 1000 calories a day will not make you gain weight?

There's a difference between treating every calorie as a calorie no matter from where, and thinking that there are somehow "good calories" you can consume till the next blue moon with repercussions.

You're just on the other end of the deluded scale.

Comment

Without* repercussions

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I want to get started on this as soon as possible.

Randomcow, what makes you think that an extra 1000 calories a day will not make you gain weight?

There's a difference between treating every calorie as a calorie no matter from where, and thinking that there are somehow "good calories" you can consume till the next blue moon with repercussions.

Maybe so but you do what you've gotta do. This guy is SERIOUSLY annoying as hell.

Comment

Maybe focus on other aspects of your friendship,

And if you put on weight ( which is a high possibility) what have you proven? You'll prove HIS point, not that all calories aren't equal.

Comment

Try increasing kcals slowly, 100-200 at a time. I accidentally did this and went from 1300kcal/day for maintenance when inactive to 2500kcal/day for maintenance when moderately active (2000kcal/day for maintenance on days off). Slowly brought it back down through fasting and the likes.
                        You can alter how many kcals your body burns simply by eating more or less kcals. Try it. Go up steadily, keep it up for two weeks, then go down steadily, as low as you can go without weight-loss, and keep it down for two weeks. Keep a log of your intake, weight, measurements and body-fat-%. Keep exercise healthy, but the same throughout.
                        Just note: it's easier to get back to your starting-point than it is to gain or lose. Not much you can do there but be careful. Don't push yourself too fast or too far for either the increase or the decrease, or you'll see weight gain/loss.

CICO holds true. The problem is that both figures are relative and can be altered.
                        CI:
                        -Consumption.
                        -Extraction efficiency.
                        -Needs (your body won't absorb fat as much if its calorific needs are met).
                        CO:
                        -BMR.
                        -Exercise.
                        -Alterations in metabolism.
                        -Hormonal fluctuations.
                        -Adaptation to a certain diet.
                        It's why fruitarians lose weight on 4000+kcal/day and people who go on a 1500kcal/day diet can have their weight-loss stall faster than someone who eats the same as always but exercises more.
                        In other words: CICO is true, but not in the conventional sense. Neither figure is permanent and neither figure can be measured accurately.
                        Last edited by Kochin; 07-02-2013, 01:33 AM.
                        --
                        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                        I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

@randomcow

You have to be aware of a few things before you start: timing of ingestion and accompanying foods are keys in this.
                          You say you are fat-adapted, which would mean you mostly burn fat throughout the day and night. So it means that you do not have to eat and snack often (low hunger signals). Assuming that you are in balance (or reached homeostasis, let's be pedantic ), you may actually trigger something by disturbing your current balance, one way or another. If you usually skip breakfast and decide to ingest 140g of melted ghee in lieu of breakfast, all you will end up with is burning the extra exogenous fats you just ingested instead of relying on your own fat stores. You won't gain weight in this way. If you do eat breakfast and trigger a rather large insulin response, the 140g of ghee will go straight to your fat stores. It does not mean you will gain weight if by doing so, you trigger some more downstream effects that will make you burn more fat during the inter-prandial periods. But if you are systematic and do that repeatedly for a few weeks, I bet you will gain some weight but not necessarily according to the simple CICO equation. So you'd better define the measurements that will determine whether you or your friend is right before you start.

Comment

Love experiments, but all that ghee would probably give me diarrhea, and I am fat-adapted, too.

So you would likely prove your point, lol! Just not in the most comfortable way.
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Couldn't have put it better myself. While fat doesn't make you fat, overconsumption of anything in excess of what your body needs will still make you gain weight unless you're going to eat 1000 calories less to consume that much additional fat.
                              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Working...
                              X