Ketosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis

How long should one be in ketosis, if at all, to lose 20 lbs? Is it necessary? Healthy? What are your thoughts? Thanks! I'm a newbie

Absolutely not necessarily, but can certainly be beneficial depending on your personal preference, ability to adhere to the diet, insulin sensitivity, etc.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Lots of great info on ketosis here:

The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Ketosis can be an option for people that have lots of fat to lose, but when getting leaner and physically more active, they should not stay in ketosis permanently if they want to keep on to lean body mass. Being in ketosis is short term solution, unless you have a serious medical condition that makes it a lesser evil, so don’t ride the ketosis bandwagon too far…
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
          Ketosis can be an option for people that have lots of fat to lose, but when getting leaner and physically more active, they should not stay in ketosis permanently if they want to keep on to lean body mass. Being in ketosis is short term solution, unless you have a serious medical condition that makes it a lesser evil, so don’t ride the ketosis bandwagon too far…
          Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
            Really? Have you even read Peter Attia's blog? He has some great posts about athletic performance and ketosis.

I'd love to see some links to back up your assertions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
              Really? Have you even read Peter Attia's blog? He has some great posts about athletic performance and ketosis.

What kind of athletic performance are we talking here?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                What kind of athletic performance are we talking here?
                Are you talking to me or Gorbag?

Comment

Are you talking to me or Gorbag?
                  Oh sorry. I was responding to you.

Comment

Back up what? Ketosis sucks for athletic performance, no top athlete can perform their best in ketosis! Ketosis has been tested over and over again over the last hundred years, and I remember some old dietary experiment when guys competed in running against each other, one only eating carbs and bananas and the other meat and sausage only! Guess who won? If ketosis had given athletes even close to the same performance that carbs gives, then far more athletes would have used it. I have been in ketosis around 6 months of the 2012 and I am glad that I have closed that chapter of dieting…
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I'm a runner. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150. I'd like to be 130, but am nervous about having the energy to run without fruit at least. Additionally, I'm a nursing mom. Should I just not bother with ketosis and simply stick to eating primal?

Comment

Originally posted by hclaus View Post
                        I'm a runner. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150. I'd like to be 130, but am nervous about having the energy to run without fruit at least. Additionally, I'm a nursing mom. Should I just not bother with ketosis and simply stick to eating primal?
                        You are not very overweight, so get some primal carbs to avoid that your body take amino acids from lean tissue to convert it into glucose for energy. The body can't get fat ready for energy fast enough when being relative lean as you are, so it makes glucose from muscle and internal organs instead...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                          Oh sorry. I was responding to you.
                          The read his articles here and here.

Comment

Originally posted by hclaus View Post
                            Stick to eating primal.

Don't make huge or fast dietary shifts when nursing. You don't want to change your hormonal balance until you are ready to wean. And chances are, you will drop any excess fat when you have stopped nursing.

Ketosis is fantastic for certain things, for sure. Read the links I posted earlier in the thread to educate yourself about it.

Comment

Thanks Dragonfly. I'm reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X