Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny how offended people get when you tell em you dont eat wheat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Allenete View Post
    And drinking WATER? Like, that stuff that's in your toilet?!
    Humans are idiots for using potable water to flush toilets. Double-triple idiots for doing so in Southern California.

    I have an update for anybody who cares, not that anybody will remember the original story. I mentioned eating primal to some people at work and this one woman went off on a big diatribe about how lame paleo is, stupid cave man diet blah blah blah. She was on weight watchers to get ready for her wedding. She lost weight, but after the wedding, it's all back again. Couple months later, we're walking to my office one day and she's wheezing and struggling to keep up with me and telling me how she just can't live without bread. Couple months more she's in my office fixing my computer telling me she was diagnosed with Chrone's disease and her doctor said no more bread, no more this, no more that, basically paleo. I tried to offer her solace that maybe she would really feel better. Ever since then she's changed from this crazy drama queen lady everybody is afraid to be around to this happy, smiling lady with lovely skin. Score one for the paleo.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by ilovesteak View Post
      Grains are like cocaine, they can't imagine their, or anyone else's, life without it.

      Try to tell a coke addict that he needs to stop using.
      This.

      My boss is gluten intolerant. And she will complain to me that she can't eat anything. I look at her and say, "What are you talking about? You can have meat, vegetables and fruit. You can't have grain. There's lots of stuff to eat!" but she's so focused on grain that she is forever making gluten free bread, cookies, etc. She really feels incomplete without grains in her life. When I gave grains up voluntarily, she was stunned. We have a completely way of looking at it.
      High Weight: 225
      Weight at start of Primal: 189
      Current Weight: 174
      Goal Weight: 130

      Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by ilovesteak View Post
        Grains are like cocaine, they can't imagine their, or anyone else's, life without it.

        Try to tell a coke addict that he needs to stop using.
        While you're probably being sarcastic, you're actually 100% correct. William Davis of Wheat Belly and David Kessler of The End of Overeating both talk of the how wheat binds to dopamine receptors in the brain. Dwarf hybrid wheat is an addictive DRUG. Wheat eaters are exhibiting addictive behavior.

        If they bring cookies to the office, they want to "oh please just try one." Exactly like drug pushers.

        If you tell them to stop because it's not healthy, they get all defensive: "How dare you tell me what to eat. It's my life and I'll eat what I want etc." Exactly like smokers do.

        Or the more polite version "oh I could never give that up."

        That's why primal is so hard for some people. At the same time they are reprogramming their DNA, they are breaking a drug addiction.
        5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

        Comment


        • #49
          At almost 62, (grain-free/primal since 2/1)...I really don't give a rat's arss about what people think about me or what I eat or don't eat. I don't offer it up, but if asked, I tell them. I make no excuses. The results are evident. I project positivity and radiant health (for an older broad)... they can't help but see the almost immediate results. Down 48 lbs. since 1/1. Who could argue that?
          My blog: http://www.againstthegrain.us/

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            Ever since then she's changed from this crazy drama queen lady everybody is afraid to be around to this happy, smiling lady with lovely skin. Score one for the paleo.
            That's great news.
            Annie Ups the Ante
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

            Comment


            • #51
              I've only had this happen once. I went to a large potluck type function with some friends of mine. There was a nice older lady there who had made a metric ton of spicy pasta salad and was trying to pawn it off on everyone. When I refused, she became upset and was like "Why aren't you eating any, young man?"

              I was polite and said that "I am a diabetic and I watch my carb count to avoid having insulin issues." (I really am a diabetic, so it wasn't lying.) Not everyone can use that as an excuse or whatnot, but it worked for me.

              Comment


              • #52
                I refuse to make excuses. If someone asks me, I tell them. If they want a discussion on the subject I generally wind them up with some science, they try to extricate themselves from the situation as rapidly as they can. I don't try to make them look foolish, but its not that hard lol. They usually tell me how they could NEVER give up bread etc, I then think "you poor weak soul", smile and go on my way

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I have an update for anybody who cares, not that anybody will remember the original story. I mentioned eating primal to some people at work and this one woman went off on a big diatribe about how lame paleo is, stupid cave man diet blah blah blah. She was on weight watchers to get ready for her wedding. She lost weight, but after the wedding, it's all back again. Couple months later, we're walking to my office one day and she's wheezing and struggling to keep up with me and telling me how she just can't live without bread. Couple months more she's in my office fixing my computer telling me she was diagnosed with Chrone's disease and her doctor said no more bread, no more this, no more that, basically paleo. I tried to offer her solace that maybe she would really feel better. Ever since then she's changed from this crazy drama queen lady everybody is afraid to be around to this happy, smiling lady with lovely skin. Score one for the paleo.
                  I know a guy with IBS whose doctor suggested he give up gluten, because lots of people with IBS who give up gluten find their symptoms resolve. He made half an effort for a day or two and decided it was too hard. Now he's a vegan eating mostly wheat and taking drugs to deal with the symptoms of IBS.

                  Personally I think that "I don't eat it because it makes me sick" is a perfectly good reason to stop eating anything and everything. Anybody who questions such an excuse looks like a jerk.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    I went to Korean BBQ and was given a HUGE pile of meat, small dish of rice, lettuce and about 30 pickled vegetables. I don't recall seeing grains on the menu period nor was there any desserts.

                    It was so good.
                    Oooh... I just ate and this made me hungry again. Barbecued meat and pickled things are what dreams are made of.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      My 15 yr old son went to a meeting for museum volunteers last week where refreshments were served when he came back I asked him how the meeting went and how the refreshments were, he said it was all gluten free! Almost all the attendees were over 60 yrs old and avoided gluten, so at least in some places things are changing. As a side note they were thrilled to have a young person at the meeting.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I find most people will question my eating choices and then start to lecture me about how we can't possible know what our ancestors ate and this is all nostalgic crap. I try to reason with them by pointing out choosing to eat veggies and meat without the introduced hormones and antibiotics is not nostalgic nor is it some cockeyed attempt to go back to eating like a caveman - its just good sound advice. When that doesn't work I tend to end the discussion by saying it works for me and I feel amazing when I eat this way and leave them to their SAD diet. I do notice at work that many carb consumers often bitch after lunch about being too full, bloated or tired and I never feel that way...hmmmmm perhaps there is something to this primal lifestyle???
                        “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

                        "Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                          Not talking about you, or the people on this board. But Americans seem like, in general, very weak minded people...It's happening here in Australia. Everyone man has a vagina. And women have two.
                          Having a vagina makes you weak-minded? Dick move, dude.

                          Moving on, I've stopped answering questions about what/how I eat. No one wants to hear the truth, they just want to hear that what they think is right.
                          These days, all I get is "ooh I wish I had your willpower!"
                          I tells 'em there's no willpower in choosing what I eat, I just eat what I like. They all think I'm some genetically gifted freak of nature, and I'll gladly let them continue to think so.
                          “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            I know a guy with IBS whose doctor suggested he give up gluten, because lots of people with IBS who give up gluten find their symptoms resolve. He made half an effort for a day or two and decided it was too hard. Now he's a vegan eating mostly wheat and taking drugs to deal with the symptoms of IBS.

                            Personally I think that "I don't eat it because it makes me sick" is a perfectly good reason to stop eating anything and everything. Anybody who questions such an excuse looks like a jerk.
                            Wait... giving up wheat is hard, but being vegan is easy? I thought being vegan was a complete pain in the ass...
                            Out of context quote for the day:

                            Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                              Wait... giving up wheat is hard, but being vegan is easy? I thought being vegan was a complete pain in the ass...
                              Yes, but you get to feel all trendy and self-righteous from not eating poor wittle moo-cows and oink-piggies, etc. Because really, who's going to say, "Way to go!" if you're just avoiding wheat?
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                              B*tch-lite

                              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                Yes, but you get to feel all trendy and self-righteous from not eating poor wittle moo-cows and oink-piggies, etc. Because really, who's going to say, "Way to go!" if you're just avoiding wheat?

                                I would...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X