Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern California Cowpool? (That is, go in on the cost of a cow..)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern California Cowpool? (That is, go in on the cost of a cow..)

Anyone down? I'm near Sac, location-wise. Not that that's all that important, I can drive

I'm in Elk Grove. I'd really be interested in cowpooling, but I'm not sure how much meat can fit into a normal sized freezer since I have to move to an apt.

Comment

In SF, throwing my hat in the ring.

Comment

Also in SF, I could be interested depending on the amount since I do not have an extra freezer and live in an apartment. 10-20 pounds is doable. Typically I get ground grass fed beef, brisket, roasts, beef heart, sometimes veal liver & kidney all for $5-7/lb from Marin Sun Farms so also only if it turned out less than that. Maybe we can set up a group or just share emails for this?
        Last edited by TigerJ; 04-28-2010, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Sure, just not sure how... if you make one, stick a link in here?

Comment

Mine is etomaria -@- gmail ... hopefully this doesn't result in spam :| You never know who's stalking the msgboards..
            Last edited by etomaria; 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, would anyone else be interested in tracking down part of a buffalo instead?

OK, do we have a coordinator? Etomaria, you are right, don't want to get hit by spam bots so here's mine: j pearl 12 at g mail dot com

Comment

Here are a few options...

$7/lb if we get a half cow; Frosty Acres

$6.80/lb if a half cow; Barbarosa Farms http://barbarosaranchers.files.wordp.../brcatalog.pdf

$7.25/lb for a half for a half cow; http://www.bestgrassfedbeef.com/order-beef.php

$3.15/lb (!) for what looks like a half? Their explanation is slightly confusing... also, I'd (someone'd) have to contact them to make sure they have a cow available... http://www.fouchfarms.com/mysite/Grass-Fed_Beef.html

There are others (eatwild.com, California section) but that's all I'ma get to tonite... Let me know if any one sounds particularly promising and how much you'd think you'd like? I've got a decent-sized deep freeze and could take probably quite a bit (and accordingly pay for a bit more, obviously) in the event people are worried that they wouldn't have enough room and so not be able to get in on this... I just can't store an entire half-cow... And I can't afford to buy all that in one shot like that either ;D Anyways, anyways. Putting this out there, let me know any ideas... Thanks!

Comment

I'd be down for a buffalo too (well, not "too" as in both, I can only handle so much )

Comment

I sent out an email inquiring as to buffalo prices on the *one* California (luckily, close) buffalo ranch on eatwild.com... Have not yet looked into non-local options.

Comment

I'd be into this- Marin County. Hubby and I travel through Cali quite a bit, so if we needed to meet at a central point, or do some drop-offs, we're game! the primal diva at g mail dot com

I was thinking it would be cool to put together a Northern Cali group here on the forums anyway....I am kind of a newbie though, so I wasn't sure if there was one already (and don't feel like I have the "street cred" to moderate one yet!)
                      With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Comment

Good deal... the one that looks most promising so far is the $3.15 a pound, if only for the amazing price, but I've got an email out to them to see if that's really the case... Then we should be able to get down to figuring out who wants what and how much! Sweet! If anyone else wants to do smthn different, by all means, let me know... I'm just getting things going for lack of something else to do, plus I'd rather order sooner than later

Comment

Wow, that is a great deal! What farm is that? Is it really grass fed and finished? Still I'd be curious to find out about the buffalo. Either way, fantastic price on grass fed beef or a good deal on buffalo I'd probably be in for a portion. Note to Etomaria - right, it would be one or the other, I cannot do both either. Haven't gotten any emails yet, is anyone else besides Primal Diva, Etomaria and myself interested in this?

Comment

Yah, it's fed/finished, all grass! Only problem is that they're outta cows :| They'll have them again next January, but it seems as though they're a smallish operation and only deal with advance orders... makes sense, just no good that they've run out :[ Anyways, buffalo sounds like a good deal but I haven't seen anywhere that has it for a decent price yet... Check around? In my searching (I looked a week or two ago) I found some "great" deals only to notice that they were grain-finished... Not sure how particular all you all are, but I'd rather not... It just ruins the good thing that was goin with the grass I've got one email out asking for more info on the buffalo (the one on California's eatwild.com site) and the other prices I put yesterday-- any votes? Any other info?

As far as you having no emails, I haven't sent any so far as this seems easiest for now...

Also, I'm Maria, feel free to call me that Or etomaria, however's more normal for you... just sharing

Comment

Hi Maria,

What is the price on the buffalo? I'm just curious, if pricey then the occasional purchase ($8/lb at Prather Ranch or Whole Foods in SF), think Trader Joes has some buffalo burgers for less might be better.

Since the other farms are $5-7 per pound I would rather wait for the good deal even if it isn't until next year. That is pretty much what I am paying now anyway. While getting a larger portion may include some more expensive cuts, this isn't a big deal for me and I'd rather buy what I want from Marin Sun Farms. So if the $3/lb place is only on pre-order how long in advance is required? What are their deals and what do they include? Maybe we will resurrect this idea in the fall (or whenever the pre-order is required).

Any more information yet?

cheers,
                              J

Comment

Working...
                              X