No announcement yet.

Heavy cream, is it too good to be true?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy cream, is it too good to be true?

Per the advice on the acne thread, I'm planning to experiment with a high-fat ketogenic diet. Someone suggested heavy cream as a "safe" keto food, and given my love/hate relationship with dairy, I'm very curious. I know a high fat diet can be done without dairy, but it would be a heck of a lot more motivating and delicious if I could pour some gorgeous whipping cream over whatever I'm eating. So, to people who consume it or have in the past, does it seem to trigger an insulin response like other forms of dairy? Cause acne? Trigger weight gain? I swore off the stuff a while ago after my lack of self control resulted in my consuming an entire pint bottle of the stuff (!) in one day, but that was combined with lots of fruit and honey so I'm hoping the keto context will help diminish the addictive aspect. I just had a couple ounces whipped up with some cinnamon and cardamom and I have no desire to polish off the bottle, so we'll see!

The best way to know is to try it out. Me personally, dairy doesn't make me break out. But, I know a ton of people that react poorly to dairy. It's just a matter of personal experimentation.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

No acne here, but drinking a pint of cream would mean I'd be in the bathroom for a couple of hours. Good thing I don't need those extra calories, or I'd have to find a different way of consuming them.

Comment

Heavy cream has less protein and less sugars per serving than whole milk, but if you're drinking it by the glass, you'll probably trigger a moderate insulin response. If you're drinking a couple tablespoons at a clip, it's probably negligible.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by november View Post
          Per the advice on the acne thread, I'm planning to experiment with a high-fat ketogenic diet. Someone suggested heavy cream as a "safe" keto food, and given my love/hate relationship with dairy, I'm very curious. I know a high fat diet can be done without dairy, but it would be a heck of a lot more motivating and delicious if I could pour some gorgeous whipping cream over whatever I'm eating. So, to people who consume it or have in the past, does it seem to trigger an insulin response like other forms of dairy? Cause acne? Trigger weight gain? I swore off the stuff a while ago after my lack of self control resulted in my consuming an entire pint bottle of the stuff (!) in one day, but that was combined with lots of fruit and honey so I'm hoping the keto context will help diminish the addictive aspect. I just had a couple ounces whipped up with some cinnamon and cardamom and I have no desire to polish off the bottle, so we'll see!
          Try it without the fruit and honey. I suspect those are the triggers, not the cream.
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Did you say "lots of fruit" and then "keto"? Just checking...
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I eat only raw dairy. Raw cream is a little slice of heaven. I whip it up in the kitchenaid and put it over berries. Yum!
              "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Comment

I don't have access to raw cream, but I buy glass-bottled. It's the only kind around here that it not ultra-pasteurized and has no additives.

Comment

Where do you find glass bottled cream?

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Heavy cream has less protein and less sugars per serving than whole milk, but if you're drinking it by the glass, you'll probably trigger a moderate insulin response. If you're drinking a couple tablespoons at a clip, it's probably negligible.
                    The heavy whipping cream I buy at Kroger has 0g sugar and 0g protein....or are there negligible amounts that they don't have to put on the label?
                    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                    SW - 192
                    CW - 180
                    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

For so many years I was low fat, low cal, that being able to have some cream is heaven. Not milk, which I don't tolerate well, just cream and cheese. But cream on berries, cream in eggs, cream in coffee is heaven. And no problems at all.

Yes, raw cream is the most healthy if you can get it. Next is pastured, organic.
                      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Sadly too much dairy (even the high quality kind) gives me both acne and weight gain, but that's not a reason for you to not try it!

Comment

I eat dairy everyday and when I was low carbing, I still lost weight eating things like cheese and heavy cream.

I never had a problem with dairy at all. I loved not counting calories during keto and made a whole tub of ice cream with heavy cream, cocoa and butter. That was at least 75% of my daily calorie allowance. Anyway, gave up low carbing due to feeling like absolute shit and being nutritionally depleted. I still eat things like Greek yogurt and cheese, but only use a drop of heavy cream in my omelette.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                            The heavy whipping cream I buy at Kroger has 0g sugar and 0g protein....or are there negligible amounts that they don't have to put on the label?
                            Exactly. That's <0.5 grams per serving, rounded down. And the serving size is probably 1 tablespoon. Check one of the online nutrition calculators if you're going to drink the stuff by the ounce and if you're concerned with counting.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Yeah, definitely the fruits and honey, that's keeping you from keto. Heavy cream is just fat, you should burn that, and not get an insulin response.

Comment

Working...
                              X