Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! About to Fall off the Primal Wagon .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop with the woe is me victim mentality. You're in charge of your life; no one's making you do anything. You've made it this far with weight loss; suck it up and make good choices even if it's tough.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Bring lots of fat with you...cut up sticks of kerry gold in 2TB chunks and eat one or 2 with every meal or brinng some mac nuts in baggies, cheese...if you make sure to have enough fat, you will feel sated and will be in a better position to walk away...also bring lots to drink...tea, coffee, mineral water, etc and drink a huge glass of water whenever you feel the urge...I'm about to spend the night with friends for the next 2 nights and spent the morning cutting up butter, measuring out nuts and cheese...I'm also bringing some frozen potroast left over from a previous night'ls dinner in case everyone decides to order pizza or something else I don't want to eat for dinner...worst case scenario, I'll just skip meals that are not edible...I am also going to focus on the social aspect and playing with the kids as the enjoyable part of the vacation not the foodfest.

Comment

You have an opportunity, although small, to seize the initiative. Your mirror is your ally. When you first get there, everyone is going to talk about how great you look with the weight lost. And the "what are you doing" question will come up. 'Splain it to 'em at a summary level -- and let them know that continuity of the plan is important and you will be sticking to it while you are there. Then talk to the head cook about what you are not going to eat, and for him/her not get offended if you pass on the bad stuff, and stick to it. Check that mirror for positive reinforcement as needed. At two months into the program, hopefully you should find that the bad stuff does not have that super high "eat me" factor when you see it. Remember, with donuts, home made breads etc you are OK until you eat the first one, then your "won't power" goes down dramatically.

Best of luck, and let us know how you do.
        The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

The key for me in a situation like that is not to have even one bite of the unhealthy food. When I'm being primal and keeping my carbs low, I sort of lose interest in food and have no cravings for sugar and am not tempted. But if I actually have try to have a little bit of something with sugar, then my body instantly starts craving more and it's harder and harder to stop. I can't do half-measures, it's all or nothing.

Comment

When it comes down to it, controlling your environment is your best bet.

If it was one day around all the terrible food, you'd be able to use your willpower to control your cravings..but after 12, there's no way in hell. If I was around people getting drunk every day at a shore house and I didn't want to party, I'd give in because it'd be too difficult to hold out for two weeks.

Go to the store and pick yourself some primal options to eat. Get more than you think you need so that you always have options. Meats, cheeses, fruits, frozen veggies, and SMOOTHIES! They can be your best friend, especially if you can get some protein powder.

And if you indulge a little bit, no biggie. The stress will cause you to gain more weight (cortisol) than you actually would if you just had a piece of bread and enjoyed it
            Primal since September, 2011
            LeanGains IF
            -----
            Conquer your own world and become the leader of your own life
            Inner Gladiator

How To Never Get Sick (And Add 72,000 Hours To Your Life)

Comment

I didn't hear any victim mentality at all. The situation you describe is difficult for many, if not most, people.

It might be a little late for this trip to take up a craft, but one thing that has helped me in similar situations is to have my knitting with me. When people are hanging out and visiting and the chips are calling my name, it is easier to have something that's keeping my hands occupied. If you don't knit, maybe you could sketch or doodle or play cat's cradle with the little ones (should there be little ones). Or heck, learn to knit!

If nothing else, you can view this as a learning experience. Keep track of what worked and what didn't. Take notes on what might help next time. Does moderation work for you, or do you need to take a more black-and-white approach? If you eat primally for the first four days and then it stops working, what led to that happening--did you just get worn down (research shows that this does happen with will-power) or did you decide to have just one cookie that became several, or something else?

I have found that if I'm going to be around other people's yummy non-primal food, I need to really step up my game as far as the deliciousness of what I bring. I like hard-boiled eggs, for instance, but they don't compete with, say, raspberry cream-cheese bars. Bacon, or even deviled eggs, on the other hand, are better competitors.

As others have mentioned, if you can keep your focus on being good to yourself (as opposed to feeling restricted) that will help you rely less on your will-power. One of my favorite relevant quotes, from Pema Chodron: "...unless we equate refraining with lovingkindness and friendliness toward ourselves, refraining feels like putting on a straitjacket."

Comment

Well, you have lost 140 pounds so I'd say that gives you the right to decide what you eat and when you eat it. Look temptation in the eye... and then eat that big ass ribeye and your desire for donuts will pass...

Comment

Originally posted by dnj1965 View Post
                  Hopefully there are salad fixin's around as well. If you have to eat a tomatoe like an apple, salt shaker in hand, so be it.
                  If there's neither salad fixin's or vegetables around, you could assign yourself the task of being the "salad and vegetables" girl. People enjoy meals more where vegetables are offered, even if they often don't think of cooking them themselves.

Do you normally eat breakfast? If so, whip yourself up an omelet with sauteed vegetables and bacon to start the day right. Let people who are eating froot loops or dry pastries for breakfast be jealous.

Comment

Fall. It's okay. You won't die.

When you're ready, you'll get back up again.
                    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherW View Post
                      Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming! Super helpful.

My current stats:
                      40 yo Female
                      5'7"
                      183lbs (started out @325lbs)
                      I'm about 36% body fat (yikes! i just did a Dexa test) lots of work still to do. Although I'm pretty fit. I've finished 22 triathlons including 3 Ironmans in the past 3 years. I just wonder what I could accomplish if I could get down to a healthier body weight and body fat %
                      This might actually be your problem.
                      T NATION | The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin

You could use this vacation as an opportunity to try something different. Perhaps get up an hour earlier than everyone else and go out and do some bodyweight exercises and sprints or intervals of some sort. Not too many of those, maybe once or twice a week. Get your workout in, then go for a nice walk. This new exercise plan may actually prove beneficial, along with the complete license to veg out and recover for the rest of the time.

Do your best with the food situation. I've found that I can almost always make decent choices no matter what is presented. There's always something that is safe to eat and since primal I'm usually a lot better able to resist things I couldn't resist before. You may find it's the same way with you now.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Heather, congratulations on your 140 lbs loss!!!

All of the above advice is great but what you should really do is gorge on all the bad stuff thay first day you get there. Seriously, stuff yourself. Then you'll feel the repercussions of that the next day and won't touch the stuff for the next 10 days, and probably end up going back home lighter than when you got there.
                        "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Heather, you've gotten a lot of advice. The issue now is that you need to develop a strategy that works for you to keep this from happening. No one can do that for you. Go at it with an open mind and a list of things to try. If something doesn't work, go on to another without recrimination or blaming.

Comment

Working...
                          X