Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh I might just cry.. *sigh*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oh I might just cry.. *sigh*

    From When a Gluten-Free Diet Isn't Healthier

    "The “Healthier” Truth

    The biggest motivator of those who choose to go gluten-free is the notion that they are “generally healthier.” But, if you can’t cut calories or save on carbs, what makes going gluten-free healthier? For those with gluten sensitivity and Celiac disease, gluten-free products are a necessity for health, but for all others, there are some things you give up when you go gluten-free that aren’t so good for you. Here are a few things to consider about gluten-free products:

    Less Fiber
    The ingredients that replace gluten-containing foods may be lower in fiber as many are made with refined, highly processed ingredients. To maintain taste, more fat and sugar may also be added to certain foods as well.

    No Fortified Vitamins and Minerals
    Wheat flour is generally fortified with iron and B-vitamins, but gluten-free substitutions are generally not fortified. Also, whole grains that contain gluten have more nutritional value than the highly processed ingredients used in gluten-free products.

    Bottom Line

    Be on the look out for healthier options to the foods you love, but don’t think it can be found in gluten-free products alone. Eating healthier foods means eating more nutrient-dense and less empty calories such as those high in fat and sugar. Bottom line, getting enough fiber, vitamins and minerals, and lean proteins, can be done without going gluten-free.
    "


    Yes, gluten free versions of baked goods are not good for you.
    Wheat versions aren't good for you either and are also packed with added sugars.

    Gees, so why would one who hasn't been "clinically diagnosed" with celiac go gluten free?
    How about the fact that those who know enough about gluten would rather drink battery acid?

  • #2
    I think that is absolutely dead-on. If you're not a celiac, there is no point in going gluten-free if you're not going to commit to a significant lifestyle change. Replacing brownies with gluten-free brownies is a waste of time and won't show any measurable health benefits. And generally, because wheat flour is a staple and fortified as mentioned, switching to corn starch and rice flour, the typical go-to gluten-free fours, is going to be even less nutritious. In short, going "gluten-free" COULD be even less healthy.

    This isn't written in the context of avoiding processed foods. It's simply stating switching wheat flour for other junk flours for a non-celiac is just a waste of time, potentially even less nutritious and surely more expensive since you're paying for that g* logo. I agree 100%.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Allenete View Post
      Gees, so why would one who hasn't been "clinically diagnosed" with celiac go gluten free?
      How about the fact that those who know enough about gluten would rather drink battery acid?
      +1

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        I think that is absolutely dead-on. If you're not a celiac, there is no point in going gluten-free if you're not going to commit to a significant lifestyle change. Replacing brownies with gluten-free brownies is a waste of time and won't show any measurable health benefits. And generally, because wheat flour is a staple and fortified as mentioned, switching to corn starch and rice flour, the typical go-to gluten-free fours, is going to be even less nutritious. In short, going "gluten-free" COULD be even less healthy.

        This isn't written in the context of avoiding processed foods. It's simply stating switching wheat flour for other junk flours for a non-celiac is just a waste of time, potentially even less nutritious and surely more expensive since you're paying for that g* logo. I agree 100%.
        Good post.
        My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

        Comment


        • #5
          I just ditch it all and eat vegetables for my carbohydrates and fiber - I don't need all that confusing nonsense in my life! lol

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
            I think that is absolutely dead-on. If you're not a celiac, there is no point in going gluten-free if you're not going to commit to a significant lifestyle change. Replacing brownies with gluten-free brownies is a waste of time and won't show any measurable health benefits. And generally, because wheat flour is a staple and fortified as mentioned, switching to corn starch and rice flour, the typical go-to gluten-free fours, is going to be even less nutritious. In short, going "gluten-free" COULD be even less healthy.

            This isn't written in the context of avoiding processed foods. It's simply stating switching wheat flour for other junk flours for a non-celiac is just a waste of time, potentially even less nutritious and surely more expensive since you're paying for that g* logo. I agree 100%.
            You're right, it's in the context of switching wheat to GF, not Paleo.
            However, it's still in the context of CW.

            The comment "if you can't cut calories and save on carbs, what makes GF healthier" ... really? Healthy is about less calories and less carbs? Have you MET gluten? It does things to our bodies that is much worse than nutritionally empty food. To be diagnosed as a celiac you have to be on the extreme spectrum of gluten sensitivity. You have to be at the point of no return. Meanwhile, I really believe most, if not all, of us have a gluten sensitivity. Some may not be aware of it, some may think they have indigestion and bloating.

            A regular muffin and a GF muffin may both be evil, but I'm not sure wheat is the lesser of the two evils. Both are highly processed, refined and sugary, but given no choice I'd rather go GF and leave "nutritional fortification" to other (real) food.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              I think that is absolutely dead-on. If you're not a celiac, there is no point in going gluten-free if you're not going to commit to a significant lifestyle change. Replacing brownies with gluten-free brownies is a waste of time and won't show any measurable health benefits. And generally, because wheat flour is a staple and fortified as mentioned, switching to corn starch and rice flour, the typical go-to gluten-free fours, is going to be even less nutritious. In short, going "gluten-free" COULD be even less healthy.

              This isn't written in the context of avoiding processed foods. It's simply stating switching wheat flour for other junk flours for a non-celiac is just a waste of time, potentially even less nutritious and surely more expensive since you're paying for that g* logo. I agree 100%.
              It makes no sense at all to recommend that people who know they are gluten intolerant and know they are going to be sick for weeks if they eat gluten should keep eating gluten regardless, anymore than it does to pretend that the overwhelming majority of people with celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance, who have never been diagnosed and have no idea, will do just fine for the rest of their lives eating gluten. FAIL.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                Healthy is about less calories and less carbs? Have you MET gluten? It does things to our bodies that is much worse than nutritionally empty food. To be diagnosed as a celiac you have to be on the extreme spectrum of gluten sensitivity. You have to be at the point of no return.
                Strictly speaking, while those who are diagnosed as celiac often have irreversible damage done to their bodies, the point of no return is truly those who end up, after decades of exposure to gluten, with refractory celiac. That's how celiac kills people directly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't need no steenking fiber except what occurs normally in food I like. I always knew jumbo sized muffins were a scam - just cupcakes that tasted like crap. Skip the gluten; life goes on. It's been over two months since I had a sandwich, and I love sandwiches/heros/po'boys. After a year of being primal, the whole wheat thing is a given. I eat wheat; I fart. Farting is probably not a sign of good health. I don't much eat wheat.

                  Don't cry over bad health info. They've been dishing it out probably your whole life. Think of it as advertising - it's all B.S.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                  B*tch-lite

                  Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Most people's eyes would probably glaze over if you started a conversation about immunoreactive proteins. Wheat's greatest power is invisibility--everyone eats it without calling it by name.

                    A coworker told me "I wish I could eat gluten free like you but I don't make that kind of money, the hamburger buns are 8 dollars!"
                    37//6'3"/185

                    My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                      Meanwhile, I really believe most, if not all, of us have a gluten sensitivity. Some may not be aware of it, some may think they have indigestion and bloating.
                      This is a very broad generalization. When you say "us", do you mean the entire population? If so, that's a pretty extreme statement to make with no evidence to support it.
                      My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        People. Humans.

                        I can pull out the evidence, but being a member of this forum I thought you would have done some reading of your own about why exactly you don't eat grains.

                        Yes I generalised, but I also used the word "I believe". And it is what I believe, from having done some reading, from my experience, and watching/listening those around me who eat wheat/have stopped eating wheat.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                          I can pull out the evidence, but being a member of this forum I thought you would have done some reading of your own about why exactly you don't eat grains.
                          You seem to like to make unsubstantiated claims on a whim without any evidence. In fact, I do my homework, and I have for the past 5 years. I think it's important to not make assumptions of someone's knowledge if you don't even know them. Just a thought. And I do eat grains, so saying "you" don't eat grains doesn't apply in my particular situation.

                          Yes I generalised, but I also used the word "I believe". And it is what I believe, from having done some reading, from my experience, and watching/listening those around me who eat wheat/have stopped eating wheat.
                          Yes, you are free to believe what you want, not arguing that. Something that I think plays a part in the idea that everyone should cut out grains is the fact that you are surrounded by people (on this forum) who have a myriad of health issues such as gluten intolerance and full-blown celiac. People who have undoubtedly benefited from cutting wheat out of their diet.

                          The problem is that you're looking from one extreme to another, and you're excluding the middle. I don't want to come off as the pro wheat guy, but if that's the stance I'm going to have to take to resist against some of the dogma I see floating around the internet, so be it. Wheat is not the root of all evil, and until I see conclusive evidence that says otherwise, my opinion will not change.
                          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                            Wheat's greatest power is invisibility--everyone eats it without calling it by name.
                            I wish I could remember who posted it here. But there was a post, I think when I first found the forums, about someone who, when asked by the waitress what kind of bread s/he wanted with his eggs, said, "none, thank you, I don't eat wheat." To which she replied, "But we have white bread."

                            Because apparently white bread is a magical bread shot out of unicorn asses.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                            B*tch-lite

                            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                              People. Humans.

                              I can pull out the evidence, but being a member of this forum I thought you would have done some reading of your own about why exactly you don't eat grains.

                              Yes I generalised, but I also used the word "I believe". And it is what I believe, from having done some reading, from my experience, and watching/listening those around me who eat wheat/have stopped eating wheat.
                              jakejoh10 believes that gluten is a problem for hardly anyone.

                              Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              I wish I could remember who posted it here. But there was a post, I think when I first found the forums, about someone who, when asked by the waitress what kind of bread s/he wanted with his eggs, said, "none, thank you, I don't eat wheat." To which she replied, "But we have white bread."

                              Because apparently white bread is a magical bread shot out of unicorn asses.
                              Because white bread is not made from wheat. It is made from white.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X