No announcement yet.

35 days in and weight loss has stopped.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 days in and weight loss has stopped.

I'm on day 35 and initially lost 22 pounds. Now I'm struggling. Up a pound down a pound. What can I do to jumpstart the weight loss again?

It's tough to determine what is causing the progress to slow without the details (calories, macronutrient composition) of your diet. Maybe take a bit of a diet break to allow your metabolism, leptin, thyroid to recover, and then go back to dieting. But, knowing the details of your diet would help tremendously.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
      It's tough to determine what is causing the progress to slow without the details (calories, macronutrient composition) of your diet. Maybe take a bit of a diet break to allow your metabolism, leptin, thyroid to recover, and then go back to dieting. But, knowing the details of your diet would help tremendously.
      Thanks for your reply.

Currently I am taking in approx. 1200 cals. per day. 85g fat. 50g protein. 30g carb. These numbers vary slightly from day to day.

Comment

Initial weight loss can often be quick & then "stall". Sometimes, it's just bloat & water weight. 1200 calories seems low to me, for any activity level, unless you are much shorter than average.
        Depression Lies

Comment

When carbs are as low as you have them for a long period of time, your metabolism will suffer, there's no way around it. I would recommend doing a refeed in which you consume a good amount of carbohydrates (how many depends on many factors) so that you can raise leptin and get your metabolism going again.

And I would recommend doing a refeed either once per week or once every two weeks. Mark has some specific refeed information on his blog.
          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Grokinit View Post
            Thanks for your reply.

Currently I am taking in approx. 1200 cals. per day. 85g fat. 50g protein. 30g carb. These numbers vary slightly from day to day.
            Reduced metabolism due to your starvation diet would be my guess.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

@OP - What are your stats? Age, gender, height and weight. Since if you didn't have that much to lose in the first place, it makes sense that you would stall out...
              turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Losing weight is seldom a linear process except from the first few weeks. And I somehow disagree with some of the posters above me about metabolic slowdown, yes it happens, but it is not that much reduction as most people like to think. But strange things happen, people can go for lots of time without seeing any changes, and then suddenly they start losing again. Anyway 35 days is not very much time on a diet so be patient…
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Reduced metabolism due to your starvation diet would be my guess.
                  Agreed. 1200kCal is too low....I have two words that will help: CHEAT DAY

What is your gender, age, rough BF%, goal? 1200Kcal for a 60yo petite woman ain't the same as a 20yo man

Your leptin will adjust itself to that kind of calorie restiction over time and cause fat loss to stop, very common and expected. What BF are you at to cut that heavily? Throw it a curve by of eating like a pig. A primal pig...maybe every 7-10 days.
                  Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-27-2013, 10:37 AM.
                  "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

You entire day is a midday snack for me. Are you a teeny tiny middle aged woman with an office job? If not, you're maybe eating way too little.

Comment

Originally posted by Grafter View Post
                      @OP - What are your stats? Age, gender, height and weight. Since if you didn't have that much to lose in the first place, it makes sense that you would stall out...
                      48 female 5'8" 254lb

Comment

1200 cal seems too low to me, too. I've heard that people usually consume 1500~1600 cal per day during the low carb diet, and I think that's reasonable amount.
                        I also had about 2 weeks plateau after about a month (for the first month I lost about 2 ~ 2.5 lbs per week), but now back to weight loss stage (about 2 lbs per week).

Comment

BTW, what about exercises?

Comment

Originally posted by vincebae View Post
                            BTW, what about exercises?
                            I'm doing a relaxed pace walk 6 days a week for 2 hours. I also do race walking up hill 4 days a week for an hour.

Comment

35 days is about right for the awful "plateau" effect - on any weight loss plan. Counter-intuitive though it may be, a day or two at 1600 - 1700 calories might set you right. In fact one day a week of 1600 calories won't slow you down and may increase weight loss.

When I had over a hundred pounds to lose, I lost 21 pounds the first month. Subsequent to that the next few months were 13-14 pounds per month, then 7-8 pounds per month. Anytime my scale stalled for more than 10 days, I ate a nice healthy 1600 day, even if it wasn't one of my weekend 1600 calorie days.

Good luck!
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X