X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes prevalence by country

What do you make of this:

http://www.allcountries.org/ranks/di...try_ranks.html

Why do you think its so common in the middle east?

look down at the bottom, Iceland... HUGE fat consumption in those parts...

edit: Very bottom, MONGOLIA. Their diet is meat with a side of meat, garnished with meat!
    Last edited by WeldingHank; 06-27-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I wonder how much genetics and smaller gene pools contribute to both ends of the spectrum. While countries like Mongolia might suggest diet, the UK is pretty close to the bottom and has a rather SAD-like diet, so there's no correlation there. Also, healthcare access is probably a factor as well. I think genetics, vegetable/seed oil consumption, and socioeconomic variables are probably the biggest influences in the equation.
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Monglian diet for the win!

Its all correlative obviously, but heres some pics to put to that list

The great global food gap: Families around the world photographed with weekly shopping as they reveal cost ranges from £3.20 to £320 | Mail Online

I'm seeing lots of sugar, cereal, and other processed crap in the pics with the worst of the countries.

Lots of meat and whole food items in the pics of the best.
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Maybe its the Baklava :-)

Comment

Sorry I was too lazy to track down the original study, but there was this:

Insulin differs between ethnicities, study finds | Science Codex
            As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

The great global food gap: Families around the world photographed with weekly shopping as they reveal cost ranges from £3.20 to £320 | Mail Online

I'm seeing lots of sugar, cereal, and other processed crap in the pics with the worst of the countries.

Lol, the dad in the Luxembourg pics is holding a white chicken and the son is holding a small dog. Is the chicken a pet (like the dog) or is it a consumable?

The Egypt layout looks pretty good, they seem to like the nightshades though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kegas76 View Post
                Lol, the dad in the Luxembourg pics is holding a white chicken and the son is holding a small dog. Is the chicken a pet (like the dog) or is it a consumable?

The Egypt layout looks pretty good, they seem to like the nightshades though.
                lol...."This ones name is Dinner"..... "We call this one Supper".

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                  Scandinavia is lots of bread and Iclandic people consume a lot of fish I guess...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Buy my new book! "The Mongolian Diet - Why Mr. Prosser had flashbacks of Ghengis Khan and what he ate to fix it." Out next week in whatever media form people seem to enjoy these days.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

It's interesting, though... I'm not seeing a strong correlation between the families' weights and their macro-nutritional composition. Plenty of fat people eating lots of meat... plenty of skinny people eating lots of grains. Maybe it has something to do with genetics.

Edit: I know someone's going to say, "obviously the families from African villages are eating meager portions" but consider, for example, the Italian family. Last time I was in Italy, portions were anything but meager.
                      Last edited by PrimalStudent; 06-28-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

And activity.

To go with the genetic variation article posted earlier... here is a NYT article about urban diabetes in Vietnam. The theory is that rural people who become urban and change their activity level develop diabetes without any other changes, for example, they are developing diabetes without becoming overweight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/wo...anted=all&_r=0
                        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                          Scandinavia is lots of bread and Iclandic people consume a lot of fish I guess...
                          Scandinavian is lots of fish and meat too
                          When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                          27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                          new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
                            It's interesting, though... I'm not seeing a strong correlation between the families' weights and their macro-nutritional composition. Plenty of fat people eating lots of meat... plenty of skinny people eating lots of grains. Maybe it has something to do with genetics.

Edit: I know someone's going to say, "obviously the families from African villages are eating meager portions" but consider, for example, the Italian family. Last time I was in Italy, portions were anything but meager.
                            You have a point. Have you seen Attia's TED talk on the forum? Much of his hypothesis (metabolic syndrome and insulin is an underlying disorder with or without obesisty) is based on the observation that there are overweight people with perfect insulin and glucose markers and that there are skinny people that are type II diabetic. So while gaining weight may be largely about caloric load the prevalence of insulin resistance may not be (not solely anyhow). So its back to TYPES of calories that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                              Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                              Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
                              Scandinavian is lots of fish and meat too
                              Maybe, but I am not sure wether there is a HUGE fat consumtion in Icland or in the rest of Scandinavia though? Those countries are known to eat lots of bread/carbs and relative little fatty food, but maybe I am wrong here...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X