Hungry in the evenings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungry in the evenings

Question to my fellow cavemen and cavewomen.

While I have no problem with the paleo during the day, in the evenings I always get VERY hungry...and for carbs! No matter how I eat during the day, no matter how much protein like eggs, meat, fish, and so forth, I get really hungry around 5 or 6pm.

And not for protein. Anyone else here have this problem? I usually do a protein shake and either eggs, turkey, or fish for breakfast and then more of the same for lunch along with a little salad. But I still feel like I HAVE to have carbs in the evenings.

Any suggestions or anyone else in this situation? I try not to eat after 6pm but I crave bread in the evenings.

I don't know why ... But I'm in the same ... So please someone could help us ?? Sometimes I've the same problem at night , one or two our after dinner !

Comment

You mentioned protein, but how is your fat intake? If your fat is good, then maybe you need more carbs. Eat them! Nothing wrong with fruits, tubers, white rice, milk, etc. You could even concentrate them at dinner if you are trying to maintain certain goals.
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Night time is the perfect time to eat for a real caveman and carbs are good for you! Instead of bread you can eat potatoes, some rice, sweet potatoes etc. If you have been used to eat at 5 – 6 PM the hunger hormone grehlin will make you hungry at that time, until you changes your routine for a while…
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

There's no problem with eating carbs at night, and there may be some benefits such as serotonin release which can improve sleep quality.
          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
            You mentioned protein, but how is your fat intake? If your fat is good, then maybe you need more carbs. Eat them! Nothing wrong with fruits, tubers, white rice, milk, etc. You could even concentrate them at dinner if you are trying to maintain certain goals.
            Yup, I get that way if I'm too low carb during the day. A carb snack (banana,apple or oatmeal) around 3PM keeps me from getting crazy feeling at 6PM.
            “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
            Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
              Yup, I get that way if I'm too low carb during the day. A carb snack (banana,apple or oatmeal) around 3PM keeps me from getting crazy feeling at 6PM.
              Carbs tend to help people sleep better. I know when I am low carb (or too low cal in general), my sleep is choppy. I'd much rather eat most of my carbs at my last meal than in the beginning of the day.
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I honestly don't like protein shakes except when I'm training hard. They just don't seem very filling to me, for some reason. Don't know if that helps at all. But I second all the people who said you can eat some carbs and not die.
                Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I get this way if I don't eat enough fat during the day. Generally pistachios help me out in the evening if I get that snacky feeling at night.

Comment

So if you're truly hungry...EAT. Maybe your body is telling you to eat more carbs, and by evening the need is greatest.

Is there a reason why eating at 5pm or 6pm is bad?
                    Sandra
                    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                      So if you're truly hungry...EAT. Maybe your body is telling you to eat more carbs, and by evening the need is greatest.

Is there a reason why eating at 5pm or 6pm is bad?
                      No reason. I just try not too eat too much late at night.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                        I could probably eat more fats during the day. I'll try that. Thanks.

Comment

I like a couple of rotten bananas right before bed. I do sleep better than those days where I completely fast.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Like a lot of CW, the negativity of eating at night is way overblown. Even when I eat two meals a day, rather than one, my first meal isn't until about 3 or 4pm and my second one is anywhere from 8 to 10 pm. Anytime I've tried the CW formula of three squares or not eating after 7pm, I become irritable at night, sluggish during the day, and fat. Is there a meal you're eating during the day that you're eating out of habit rather than hunger? If so, maybe skip that one and let yourself eat when you're really hungry late at night.

Some cultures with hot weather don't eat supper 'til late in the evening - it doesn't seem to hurt them any. And if you're trying to lose weight, your calorie intake over time is what matters, not time of the day. We've developed so many rights and wrongs with eating that it can drive anyone who doesn't fit into the "normal daytime eating" model a bit crazy. Don't let it. N=1. Eat when food gives you the most satisfaction.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              Like a lot of CW, the negativity of eating at night is way overblown. Even when I eat two meals a day, rather than one, my first meal isn't until about 3 or 4pm and my second one is anywhere from 8 to 10 pm. Anytime I've tried the CW formula of three squares or not eating after 7pm, I become irritable at night, sluggish during the day, and fat.
                              JoanieL- I'd have to agree, the CW of 3 squares has tripped me up.

OP - Totally struggled w/ the same; BIG TIME cravings in the evenings. I've really had to address the volume of protein I've had throughout the day to help w/ this.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Working...
                              X