Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonstick pans: Are they all the same? (Trying to not use oil to cook)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonstick pans: Are they all the same? (Trying to not use oil to cook)

When I cook veggies, I dump a ton of oil onto my cheap nonstick pan to aid in the nonsticking. I then realized I was adding a TON of fat and calories to my meal for nothing (upwards of 500 calories / 60 grams of fat). So, I am going to stop doing that.

But, should I buy a better pan that is more nonsticky? Or are all nonstick pans the same? Right now, I use some $7 thing I bought at the supermarket. I just replace them pretty frequently. My current pan is almost new, but it was cheap.

Any fat/oil I use in cooking is always under 100 calories. Unless I purposefully try to add more...
    Maybe start measuring? (I assume you're trying to lose weight)

Or you can grill your food.

Comment

The Straight Dope: Are Teflon-coated pans a health risk to birds and humans?

Get rid of the deathlon. Get cast iron if you're a regular people, or enameled cast iron if you're a multibillionaire.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Is Non-Stick Cookware Dangerous? Fact Vs. Myth | The ZocDoc Blog

either buy a cast-iron pan or steam the veggies and dress with butter.

however if your food is absorbing most of the oil you're cooking with you're doing it wrong.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

A pat of butter is around 40 calories, and is plenty of fat in which to cook veggies/food in a satisfactory, non-sticky way. You shouldn't need to completely curtail your fat use.

Comment

Your cheap pans don't last as long because the substrate is of thinner, cheaper, metal. This leads to uneven heating. In addition to making the pan destruct, the uneven heating causes sticking problems that lead to needing more oil. If you were to stick with the non-stick, a good pan would last you a decade or more, compared to the mebby year you get out of a cheap pan.
            “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
            Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
              Your cheap pans don't last as long because the substrate is of thinner, cheaper, metal. This leads to uneven heating. In addition to making the pan destruct, the uneven heating causes sticking problems that lead to needing more oil. If you were to stick with the non-stick, a good pan would last you a decade or more, compared to the mebby year you get out of a cheap pan.
              So, what is a good brand of non-stick that isn't an overpriced designer ripoff?
              Cast iron is a pain. I will take my cancer chances. I'd rather die early than cook with food constantly getting stuck and burnt to the pan. Those days are over for me.

Comment

If you can afford it, buy Esteele. Best cookware ever and will last you a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
                  Cast iron is a pain. I will take my cancer chances. I'd rather die early than cook with food constantly getting stuck and burnt to the pan. Those days are over for me.
                  You mistreated the cast iron if that was your experience. Get enameled cast iron.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Anything wrong with ceramic based non-stick?

I just bought one. My understanding is that all nonstick will be required to give up tephlon by a certain date (2015?)

Comment

I don't believe teflon is dangerous to the user and even if it were, I'm with the OP. I do a lot of dangerous things because of the cost/benefit calculation.

No one is anywhere near banning teflon, because there is absolutely no evidence that it is dangerous to the user. They would need to ban microwave popcorn to justify banning teflon and I see that happening never. Now, as environmental protections in the production of teflon ramp up it is possible that teflon may become prohibitively expensive, but that is a different issue.
                      “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                      Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

I don't believe teflon is dangerous to the user and even if it were, I'm with the OP. I do a lot of dangerous things because of the cost/benefit calculation.
                        Eating teflon mixed in your food doesn't seem appetizing for me..I use cast iron and stainless cookware with no problems what so ever plus cast iron actually cooks things better period in my experience...seems like a no-brainer to me.

The few teflon coated pans I've tried always ended up within a few weeks or months having tiny pieces of teflon come off the metal and into the food...I see nothing to be gained by their use even if they didn't shed the coating.

Comment

Your choice. I figure there's enough environmental toxins in my life, I don't need PFOA leaching into my food and air. Cast iron is a little more maintenance, but it cooks things better anyway.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
                            I have these and love them:

Amazon.com: Nordic Ware Restaurant Cookware 10.5-Inch Nonstick Frying Pan: Kitchen & Dining

Info on sustainability:

Sustainable Business Practices at Nordic Ware - Nordic Ware
                            My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

I have had some non stick pans for years, as soon as they scratch or look like the coating is coming off I have replaced them, this usually happens pretty quickly. But now I have the expensive (but you can get promo deals on frypans) Scanpan Professional. They are amazing, you can still use hard implements on them, you can put them in the oven and they never stick, and clean up a dream. I wouldn't be without them. I have had my main frying pan that I use everyday for 3 years now and it looks like the day I bought it.
                              Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                              Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                              Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Working...
                              X