Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonstick pans: Are they all the same? (Trying to not use oil to cook)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast iron is pretty easy: nothing sticks to it, and you don't even have to wash it.

Personally, I prefer All-Clad cookware (stainless steel with an aluminum core), my food never sticks, and I don't have to use that much oil. I think it's a technique thing. What you want to do is preheat the pan so that it's good and hot (usually a couple minutes. You don't want it to get so hot that the oil will smoke immediately though). Then add enough fat to coat the bottom of the pan. When it starts shimmering, add your food. Leave it be and allow it to sear, it will release from the pan when it's done. This is how professional chefs cook, and all told it adds less than 100 calories from fat (not that I count calories or limit my fat intake).

You should never pre-heat teflon pans, because they release even more toxic fumes that kill birds. Seriously, I'd recommend that you stay away from that stuff, because it's known to be toxic and the pans need to be replaced every year or so, because the coating comes off (into your food. Gross.).

Comment

Originally posted by summerbreeze View Post
      Gross
      Agree
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

In my kitchen it is all cast-iron, all the time. I am kind of a cooking snob and an unevenly cooked piece of lamb will send me into a rage, so take that into account

That said, my cast-iron clean very easily, easier than a Teflon pan I would imagine. Plus it has the added (how is this not a HUGE deal in primal cooking?) benefit of being able to be placed in the oven. You have to season the cast-iron first to get it this way, but once you do that will literally last a lifetime.

Links below:
        How to Season Cast Iron Cookware: 11 Steps - wikiHow

If this isn't the best steak prep, I don't know what is. This works with ANY meat or fish, but you need a cast-iron!
        Pan-Seared Rib-Eye Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network
        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

something wrong with stainless steel?

Comment

Originally posted by slowcooker View Post
            something wrong with stainless steel?
            Healthwise, no. I find it sticks and doesn't heat evenly.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
              I don't believe teflon is dangerous to the user and even if it were, I'm with the OP. I do a lot of dangerous things because of the cost/benefit calculation.

No one is anywhere near banning teflon, because there is absolutely no evidence that it is dangerous to the user. They would need to ban microwave popcorn to justify banning teflon and I see that happening never. Now, as environmental protections in the production of teflon ramp up it is possible that teflon may become prohibitively expensive, but that is a different issue.
              Wait what?

I think your kinda playing on the words.

Harmful Teflon Chemical To Be Eliminated by 2015

So yeah, maybe teflon isn't "banned" outright, but there sure are some changes coming into effect.

Comment

Oh, and seriously anybody got any info on the ceramic non stick stuff?

Comment

Working...
                X