Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silent Reflux? I cannot breathe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Silent Reflux? I cannot breathe.

    I have a problem. I can't breathe. Like, I cannot get a full, deep breath. I pretty much have to yawn to get the full breath and even then I only sometimes do. I read on here a while back about that being a symptom of silent reflux. I'm pretty sure it is. Nothing else fits. I've been eating mostly primal for about a month or so but my grain consumption/gluten consumption has been very low over the last 6 months or so.

    Everything I find on the web for a silent reflux diet is to eat grains, beans, etc.

    Does anyone have any nutritional advice? I do eat dairy still. And I do notice when I eat wheat that I seriously cannot get a breath the next day (sometimes longer).

    A little background for me: I'm 29, 5'5", 116lbs. I'm not on any medications and I have a physically demanding job.

  • #2
    I also have that problem, for me I have found that it is allergies that is the cause. Whenever I have eggs, casein and some of the flours and nuts I get a very tight chest and can't breath properly, pain goes right through to my back. I just have to be super careful not to have them, it is a real pain but no choice.
    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

    Comment


    • #3
      I will treat this like I would an actual patient, so here goes:

      Any known allergies?
      How long has this been happening and how long does it last for? Are we talking 15 min or hours?
      Are you an asthmatic or did you have it in juvenile form?
      Do you have heartburn, frequent cough, or throat pain?
      Biggie here....are you a smoker?
      At your last physical, did you have your lung capacity taken? (Spirometer)

      I don't know if this is acute/serious or long-standing, so let us know. Feel better
      "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

      Comment


      • #4
        If I had trouble breathing, I'd go to a doctor instead of asking some people online for advice, honestly.
        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

        "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
          I will treat this like I would an actual patient, so here goes:

          Any known allergies? Nope
          How long has this been happening and how long does it last for? Are we talking 15 min or hours? Hmm. I haven't time it. It normally starts when I'm eating and can last for a while afterwards. But, when I woke up this morning it was there. I will try to pinpoint a more exact timetable.
          Are you an asthmatic or did you have it in juvenile form? Negative.
          Do you have heartburn, frequent cough, or throat pain? Before I went primal I did have some heartburn. Sometimes I get a kind of "tickle" in my throat and have to cough. And I do notice some throat pain that accompanies the not being able to breathe fully.
          Biggie here....are you a smoker? Nope.
          At your last physical, did you have your lung capacity taken? (Spirometer) I did not.

          I don't know if this is acute/serious or long-standing, so let us know. Feel better
          I first noticed this about 3 years ago, but it was so occassional that I didn't really think about it.

          Thank you for responding with these questions

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Damiana View Post
            If I had trouble breathing, I'd go to a doctor instead of asking some people online for advice, honestly.
            Honestly, I don't put much faith in doctors. They write prescriptions before tests are even done. But, should it get any worse or I cannot figure it out with food, then I assure you, I will go.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Damiana View Post
              If I had trouble breathing, I'd go to a doctor instead of asking some people online for advice, honestly.
              Yup. I can make some "oh it could be" based on my experiences in life... Trouble breathing in is a very different symptom from trouble breathing out... But see a doctor for real.
              “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
              Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SpitFire View Post
                Honestly, I don't put much faith in doctors. They write prescriptions before tests are even done. But, should it get any worse or I cannot figure it out with food, then I assure you, I will go.
                The number 1 way alternative medicine kills people is by delaying seeking treatment where standard treatment is called for. Lets say you had the disease I have, for example (you probably don't). Delaying seeking treatment = death. Straight up, that simple.

                You can turn down the pills. You can ask questions. But when you have access to care that can make people who should die not die, turning down that amazing opportunity offends the sensibilities. I wish I could give your slot to someone in Africa who is dieing a slow suffocating death from the condition I have and who never had that opportunity.
                “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
                  Yup. I can make some "oh it could be" based on my experiences in life... Trouble breathing in is a very different symptom from trouble breathing out... But see a doctor for real.
                  Obviously what I'm looking for IS people's experiences, so I can have some kind of idea of what might be going on. I am not going to go to a doctor blindly and just let them fill me with prescriptions until one of them "works". You might do that, but I don't.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not going to argue about going to a doctor. I have my reasons for going/not going.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have suffered from this disease for 3 years and I am only now better. PPI's will do nothing for LERD and this has been proven with studies. Look into Zinc Deficiency.

                      From my book:

                      LERD: Lower Esophageal Reflux Disease

                      Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease is a newer, less understood cousin of GERD. LERD is different from GERD in that suffers of LERD suffer from more of the upper airway symptoms of a reflux disease than GERD sufferers. Symptoms of LERD include coughing, hoarseness, tachycardia after eating, esophageal spasms, post-nasal drip, sore throat, lump in the throat feeling (globus pharyngis), hoarseness, dry mouth, bad taste in mouth, bad breath, loss of smell and nose function, ear infections, hearing problems, and asthma. Many people who suffer from LERD don’t have traditional heartburn or any symptoms of GERD. Also unlike GERD, LERD sufferers usually don’t have any heartburn symptoms, including pain in the throat and chest.
                      LERD suffers usually have their symptoms during the day, even if they eat or not, and usually when they are sitting. GERD suffers usually have their symptoms in the evening, after they eat, and when they are lying down. Most LERD symptoms are instead felt upon waking from sleep in the morning. It is also harder for LERD to be diagnosed because the symptoms are so universal for most people. LERD can disguise itself as being asthma or as patients having sinus problems.
                      Unlike GERD, the esophagus generally looks undamaged in people with LERD. This is because the acid and pepsin that are refluxed are quickly swallowed downward. This causes a lot less damage to the esophagus itself and more damage to the upper airway. Visible swelling of the larynx using a fiber optic camera in the throat might be a more diagnostic approach in identifying patients with LERD.

                      In most people with LERD, the LES and the UES are not functioning properly. The UES is known as the upper sphincter that closes off the oral cavity from the esophagus. In people with GERD usually the LES is the only sphincter not functioning properly so the acid gets stuck in-between the stomach and the esophagus and this is what causes the heartburn sensation in most patients.
                      The problem with LERD is that unlike GERD, conventional medicine can’t even come close to fixing it. Proton pump inhibitors have been found to be generally ineffective. The most depressing information is that there is no known true cause of LERD yet. My best hypothesis is that it is caused by any combination of these issues. SIBO, magnesium deficiency, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, Zinc deficiency, and nerve damage to both the LES and UES.

                      Treatment Protocol for LERD:

                      Be checked by a doctor for SIBO, if positive or have a lot of the symptoms follow SIBO protocol.
                      Follow the Strengthen LES protocol.
                      Follow Rebuilding the Gut protocol as well.
                      Ask a physical therapist about “shaker” neck exercises that can be used to strengthen neck muscles after someone has a stroke.
                      Treat Adrenal Fatigue or/and Hypothyroidism.
                      Drink only room temperature water during meals, and do not overeat.
                      Drink 1/2 cup of Alkaline Water 1 hour – 2 hours after a meal to deactivate Pepsin in the larynx (from stomach content reflux) that might cause irritation. Also drink ½ cup right before bed.
                      Follow low carbohydrate diet like the SCD, Wheat Belly Diet, Primal Diet, or Bulletproof Diet. Consider also a low acid diet. Consider adding a FODMAP restriction to any of these diets. See Diet section for more details.
                      My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

                      I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

                      www.fixyourgut.com
                      Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        SpitFire,

                        My sense is that you're looking for is input and information. So, here are some thoughts/angles for you.

                        I'd make a little mark on my calendar about when it started. I'd also keep a tablet and note when it happens and when it doesn't and just keep an eye on it for a few days. You might also note what the weather was like and your level of activity and if you ate certain foods (gluten, dairy, supplements). You'd be amazed at what you can catch when you put something on paper patterns show up.

                        I completely respect your desire to not go to a doc. If it persists, it might be helpful to get a doc's input just to rule out anything serious. You can even tell the doc that you're there to rule out anything serious and that if it is something less serious you'll treat it with diet and exercise (or whatever feels right for you). Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

                        Wish you the best,
                        sg

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
                          I have suffered from this disease for 3 years and I am only now better. PPI's will do nothing for LERD and this has been proven with studies. Look into Zinc Deficiency.

                          From my book:

                          LERD: Lower Esophageal Reflux Disease

                          Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease is a newer, less understood cousin of GERD. LERD is different from GERD in that suffers of LERD suffer from more of the upper airway symptoms of a reflux disease than GERD sufferers. Symptoms of LERD include coughing, hoarseness, tachycardia after eating, esophageal spasms, post-nasal drip, sore throat, lump in the throat feeling (globus pharyngis), hoarseness, dry mouth, bad taste in mouth, bad breath, loss of smell and nose function, ear infections, hearing problems, and asthma. Many people who suffer from LERD don’t have traditional heartburn or any symptoms of GERD. Also unlike GERD, LERD sufferers usually don’t have any heartburn symptoms, including pain in the throat and chest.
                          LERD suffers usually have their symptoms during the day, even if they eat or not, and usually when they are sitting. GERD suffers usually have their symptoms in the evening, after they eat, and when they are lying down. Most LERD symptoms are instead felt upon waking from sleep in the morning. It is also harder for LERD to be diagnosed because the symptoms are so universal for most people. LERD can disguise itself as being asthma or as patients having sinus problems.
                          Unlike GERD, the esophagus generally looks undamaged in people with LERD. This is because the acid and pepsin that are refluxed are quickly swallowed downward. This causes a lot less damage to the esophagus itself and more damage to the upper airway. Visible swelling of the larynx using a fiber optic camera in the throat might be a more diagnostic approach in identifying patients with LERD.

                          In most people with LERD, the LES and the UES are not functioning properly. The UES is known as the upper sphincter that closes off the oral cavity from the esophagus. In people with GERD usually the LES is the only sphincter not functioning properly so the acid gets stuck in-between the stomach and the esophagus and this is what causes the heartburn sensation in most patients.
                          The problem with LERD is that unlike GERD, conventional medicine can’t even come close to fixing it. Proton pump inhibitors have been found to be generally ineffective. The most depressing information is that there is no known true cause of LERD yet. My best hypothesis is that it is caused by any combination of these issues. SIBO, magnesium deficiency, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, Zinc deficiency, and nerve damage to both the LES and UES.

                          Treatment Protocol for LERD:

                          Be checked by a doctor for SIBO, if positive or have a lot of the symptoms follow SIBO protocol.
                          Follow the Strengthen LES protocol.
                          Follow Rebuilding the Gut protocol as well.
                          Ask a physical therapist about “shaker” neck exercises that can be used to strengthen neck muscles after someone has a stroke.
                          Treat Adrenal Fatigue or/and Hypothyroidism.
                          Drink only room temperature water during meals, and do not overeat.
                          Drink 1/2 cup of Alkaline Water 1 hour – 2 hours after a meal to deactivate Pepsin in the larynx (from stomach content reflux) that might cause irritation. Also drink ½ cup right before bed.
                          Follow low carbohydrate diet like the SCD, Wheat Belly Diet, Primal Diet, or Bulletproof Diet. Consider also a low acid diet. Consider adding a FODMAP restriction to any of these diets. See Diet section for more details.
                          Excellent information. Thank you!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by spicegirl View Post
                            SpitFire,

                            My sense is that you're looking for is input and information. So, here are some thoughts/angles for you.

                            I'd make a little mark on my calendar about when it started. I'd also keep a tablet and note when it happens and when it doesn't and just keep an eye on it for a few days. You might also note what the weather was like and your level of activity and if you ate certain foods (gluten, dairy, supplements). You'd be amazed at what you can catch when you put something on paper patterns show up.

                            I completely respect your desire to not go to a doc. If it persists, it might be helpful to get a doc's input just to rule out anything serious. You can even tell the doc that you're there to rule out anything serious and that if it is something less serious you'll treat it with diet and exercise (or whatever feels right for you). Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

                            Wish you the best,
                            sg
                            Good suggestions I try to keep a mental log, but I'll forget something sometimes. I woke up with it this morning And it's been come and go all day.

                            I also think I may be dealing with some time of adrenal fatigue or something. I should not be this tired all the time. Everyone talks about their energy being through the roof after they start eating primal/paleo, but I have almost zero energy. But my energy does normally pick up in the evening/night time. I just always thought I was a night owl.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SpitFire View Post
                              I also think I may be dealing with some time of adrenal fatigue or something. I should not be this tired all the time. Everyone talks about their energy being through the roof after they start eating primal/paleo, but I have almost zero energy. But my energy does normally pick up in the evening/night time. I just always thought I was a night owl.
                              Is the tiredness something you've been having trouble with for a long time or is it a recent development?
                              Primal Journal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X