No announcement yet.

No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym.

Hello,

I'm working at the gym pretty intensively, not every day but when I workout it is to complete muscle failure. I'm feeling pretty tired, today after gym I crashed for a 3 hours nap after a 7 hours night sleep.

Should I have some carbs? I hardly had any in weeks. And if so, which ones? If I think about rice or potatoes I just don't "feel like it".... I have no carbs craving. Maybe it's something else and not nutrition related?

Carbs are absolutely necessary for intense activity.

Your glycogen stores are probably depleted, which would explain why you feel like crap. Some rice and potatoes would do you good.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Should I have some daily, or can I do a once a week all you can eat Sushi and it will sort me out for the week? ;-) In other words, how does the storage work, is that something that can be done once a week or I need to maintain a constant intake of carbs?

Comment

I think Mark recommends one refeed per week.

This is especially important if you're dieting down. Going low carb for a long period without a refeed can cause downregulation in your thyroid hormones as well as a drop in leptin levels; along with the depletion of glycogen stores if you're training.

So yeah, one day per week is usually what's recommended to keep everything running smoothly.

Comment

Can I do pizza?

(Please say yes, I'm begging you ;-) )

Comment

If you're not sensitive to gluten, I don't really see a problem with it (unless you're trying to follow the Primal diet).

However, I would caution against high fat consumption on a refeed. The metabolic benefits from refeeds come from the increase in carbohydrate. High fat intake in conjunction with a refeed day will lead to fat storage (assuming you're in a calorie surplus).

So, that said, pizza probably isn't the best choice knowing that you should keep fat lower during refeeds. White rice, sweet/white/russet potatoes, yams, squash, low fat ice cream are usually what I stick with during refeeds.

Comment

First of all, why are you aiming for muscle failure at every workout? You need to realize the intense exercise is fueled by glycogen, muscle failure will absolutely deplete glycogen stores of both the muscles and liver. Not replenishing them will set you up for a shit storm, not to mention you will not see any gains in strength or size.

Secondly, depending on your goals, once a week might not he enough, try a carb heavy meal post workout and also a one day refeed.

And yes, eat the pizza if thats what you want. You are in control of your diet, not people on the internet or some diet guru.

Also, fruit.

Comment

Good advice here^

Comment

Work to failure - check on Amazon "the power of 10" its a certain type of workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidil View Post
                    Work to failure - check on Amazon "the power of 10" its a certain type of workout.
                    Ugh. No one ever got strong lifting a total of an hour or less a week.

Comment

Read the book. There is tons of research going back from the 70s. High intensity once a week is just as effective.

Comment

But why do I need carbs? What's wrong with the fat I'm eating and stored fat? I'm pretty thin but I do have belly fat, why body is not using it?

Comment

Carbs are necessary for muscle glycogen repletion, which fuels intense training. Dietary fat doesn't fuel intense training.

Also, as I mentioned before, refeeds help you to side step some of the metabolism issues that can pop up with low carb diets.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidil View Post
                            Read the book. There is tons of research going back from the 70s. High intensity once a week is just as effective.
                            Then why are there no elite level athletes that train that way. In practice it does not work.

Comment

I started lifting this week, going to be doing it mon/wed/fri, and after each session having a shake of 3 whole raw eggs, a banana and a handful of raspberries. Any problems there? I work out when i get home around 4:30pm, and sometimes that will be what breaks my fast as I don't eat breakfast and sometimes just work through lunch. I'd say I eat lunch half the time. Big dinners around 6:30.
                              Starting DL: 135 Now: 380
                              Starting Bench: 115 Now: 255
                              Goal: Get stronger.

Comment

Working...
                              X