No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockrunner
    It works for everyday people who are not elites...you only need to enough carbs to replenish your muscles before your next workout. If your workouts are close together than you need to eat carbs more often to match the workouts frequency otherwise just eat what you want and it will take care of itself.
    Training once per week is not optimal for someone looking to build muscle. Also, most people do just fine with one refeed per week, even if they train 5 times in that week.

OP, the real question is, what is your goal? This would help narrow down the advice.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Cavewizard View Post
      I started lifting this week, going to be doing it mon/wed/fri, and after each session having a shake of 3 whole raw eggs, a banana and a handful of raspberries. Any problems there? I work out when i get home around 4:30pm, and sometimes that will be what breaks my fast as I don't eat breakfast and sometimes just work through lunch. I'd say I eat lunch half the time. Big dinners around 6:30.
      No problem, other than raw eggs are gross!

That's just utter non-sense...that just goes back to what is considered "strong".
      It depends on OP's goal. If it's to build muscle in a realistic amount of time, training once per week is not an efficient way to do so.

Comment

Its seems to be optimal for me and others...so your saying its impossible to get strong with only one workout per week?
        I don't think I said that? I said it's not optimal for building muscle.

Also, something "working" and something being optimal are completely different. Can you get strong on one workout per week? Sure. Will you see more results with three workouts per week? Yes.

It comes down to what OP's goal is.

Comment

I want lean mass... bigger and leaner.

I took thay book and jacked it up. 12 exercises instead of 6 and 3 times of each, 6 reps each, to failure. Rest 4-5 days.

Comment

The plan in the book is just 6 types of exercise, 6 reps each, that's it. You're done with it in 12 minutes. I go for two hours, every 4-5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
              No problem, other than raw eggs are gross!

It depends on OP's goal. If it's to build muscle in a realistic amount of time, training once per week is not an efficient way to do so.
              Weight training once a week for 10 minutes seems very efficient for me...I get strength gains every week....how is that less efficient than doing something like Starting Strength for 2 -3 hours a week? I could get more strength gains from Starting Strength for sure but the time invested is a lot more and not as efficient time wise...that time I can spend doing more useful things health-wise. Can I get stronger on less than one hour a week of weight training.... you bet.

Comment

How many times are you training per week? These are all things that are important to know.

Training to failure constantly is a great way to completely burn yourself out, especially if you're following a low carb diet.

So, regardless of how many times you train per week, I would recommend a full day refeed, and like Zach said earlier, it might even be necessary to have a carb-up meal somewhere in the middle of the week.

These are all things that you're going to have to play with. If you constantly feel lethargic and sleep quality is declining, consume more carbs during your refeeds and don't go to muscular failure so often.

It comes down to experimentation and what works best for you in your current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by rockrunner View Post
                  Weight training once a week for 10 minutes seems very efficient for me...I get strength gains every week....how is that less efficient than doing something like Starting Strength for 2 -3 hours a week? I could get more strength gains from Starting Strength for sure but the time invested is a lot more and not as efficient time wise...that time I can spend doing more useful things health-wise. Can I get stronger on less than one hour a week of weight training.... you bet.
                  That's great that it's working for you. If lifting once per week is what you want to do and it's what you enjoy, keep doing it, I'm not trying to stop you.

What I am trying to say, and what I think Zach was trying to say as well, is that only lifting once per week is going to limit your strength/muscle gain results in comparison to multiple sessions per week.

This is due to consistent training stimulus, requiring more adaptation, which means more strength/muscle. This is not even a debatable point. More exposure to a stimulus = more results. Now, there is a point when stimuli becomes excessive, so don't interpret this as me saying you should lift 7 times per week for maximal results. I'm not saying that.

Like I said, do what works for you. But I don't think it's even a question that more exposure to a stimulus over a period of time is more effective than 10 minutes per week.

Comment

"More exposure to a stimulus = more results"

No. Because you're not letting your body enough rest. You're working against yourself mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidil View Post

No. Because you're not letting your body enough rest. You're working against yourself mate.
                      Lifting weights three times per week is giving your body plenty of time to rest, assuming you're not doing a ridiculous amount of volume or going to failure on every set of every exercise, which is dumb in it's own right.

Comment

48 hours rest.... that's not a lot, you really think your body can rebuild itself so fast? I rather work harder but only once every five days and let my body rebuild itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
                          That's great that it's working for you. If lifting once per week is what you want to do and it's what you enjoy, keep doing it, I'm not trying to stop you.

What I am trying to say, and what I think Zach was trying to say as well, is that only lifting once per week is going to limit your strength/muscle gain results in comparison to multiple sessions per week.

This is due to consistent training stimulus, requiring more adaptation, which means more strength/muscle. This is not even a debatable point. More exposure to a stimulus = more results. Now, there is a point when stimuli becomes excessive, so don't interpret this as me saying you should lift 7 times per week for maximal results. I'm not saying that.

Like I said, do what works for you. But I don't think it's even a question that more exposure to a stimulus over a period of time is more effective than 10 minutes per week.
                          Good to see you disagree with Zach that you can get strong with a once a week weight training workout but not as fast as a longer more often less intense form of weight lifting. The debatable part is over the long run... is less effort performed more often better than than full effort performed less often for strength or muscle size improvement? I don't know the answer to this for everyone in general...I think it varies and maybe the best might be to change up the routine often.

Comment

I'd have to disagree. I work 6-12 hour days 6 days per week depending on the time of year and the weather with one day to rest. I literally work circles around young men (athletes and weight-lifters) we hire to help when things are tight and still lift enough to make their eyes bulge.

Primal Journal

Comment

48 hours rest.... that's not a lot, you really think your body can rebuild itself so fast? I rather work harder but only once every five days and let my body rebuild itself.
                              Yes, I do, assuming you're not doing excessive volume or frequently going to muscular failure. Using an extreme example here, but Olympic weightlifters squat heavy several times per week, sometimes every day, for long periods of time, without problems.

I think you are severely underestimating the body's ability to adapt to a stimulus. And, in my opinion, your approach is overly conservative.

Good to see you disagree with Zach that you can get strong with a once a week weight training workout but not as fast as a longer more often less intense form of weight lifting. The debatable part is over the long run... is less effort performed more often better than than full effort performed less often for strength or muscle size improvement? I don't know the answer to this for everyone in general...I think it varies and maybe the best might be to change up the routine often.
                              As I've said, you can get results lifting once per week. Is it optimal if you're looking to maximize strength and muscle growth? I don't think so.

Comment

You cannot get strong doing 10 minutes of lifting a week, period. I dont care what your definition of strong is. Anyone who can only devote 10 minutes a week is just plain lazy or doesnt really care to be muscular.

Comment

Working...
                                X