No announcement yet.

Stomach discomfort

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegetables that are fruit and vegetables from underground tend to be less offensive, especially if you cook them. Cooking starts breaking down the food, makes it easier to digest, and breaks down some of the more offensive compounds that they do have.

There's no way to know for certain which are permanent problems and which just need healing without removing them for a while and then adding them back in. I used to have issues with bananas and squash seeds. I can eat bananas again but squash seeds are still hard on my gut.
    Primal Journal

Comment

I had serious IBS and it's associated ills. Here's the effects of Marks PB on me:

The diseases for which I came to PB, looking for a cure:
      1. The tendency or desire to vomit while or after eating was gone in 2 days. (GERD)
      2. The heavy gastric production of mucus which caused drooling in sleep was gone in 1 week
      3. The IBS-C gas and water bloating was 90% gone in 2 weeks. (IBS)
      4. At 3 weeks I began taking Milk of Magnesia every other day instead of every day.
      5. At 4 weeks the ability to control urine outflow returned (I'd been afraid I'd have to wear diapers.)
      6. After 5 weeks my completely dead bowel began working again. Peristalsis returned.
      7. At 6 weeks I began taking Vits. D3 and C (mainly to prevent hair loss) and Magnesium Citrate (800 mg) to soften my stools.
      8. At 7 weeks I bought Mark's Damage Control Package (vitamins and minerals). I'd already been taking prebiotics and probiotics, etc.
      8. At 8 weeks my ‘bleeder’ condition ceased. All the permanent indigo bruises on my arms started going away, and I no longer bled continuously when my skin was torn or pierced.

At 2.5 months my stools are softer now but I’m still constipated. But some IBS remains at the best of days, and on the worst, after 2-3 days of no Milk of Magnesia (MOM) is really bad and painful. Also the process of moving water from my stomach to my bladder is very slow, about 8 hours. So although I was trying to extend the time inbetween MOM, as soon as I was constipated (any straining at all needed), I'd take MOM that evening.

At 3 months I started reading Fiber Menace and added Potassium. At 4 months I was down to MOM every 4-5 days and had finished reading Fiber Menace. That is a fantastic book that everyone here should read. During this month I was experiementing with how much Potassium I needed, cutting capsules or tablets in half. At 4.25 months I declared complete success. No more MOM needed. (Also I've become one of those nuts who examine their stools daily to see how things are going. Sure never thought I'd do that.)
      - - - - - - - - - - -

It doesn't sound like you're nearly this bad. It doesn't say above, but I started taking probiotic capsules before every meal and highly recommend this as the basic cure. Later I added pre-biotics (sauerkraut, kim chi, yogurt, kefir, etc.)

As for potassium, if you're eating green leaves (about 3 large / day, raw or cooked) you're getting plenty of potassium so don't take any more. Read The Primal Blueprint and Mark's shopping list. The Mg is good. Eat a few brazil nuts (2) / day.

My foods were approx.

B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs, salt, pepper, tumeric, 2 cups coffee w 1/2 & /12.
      L - 1.5 cup chopped greens sauteed in coconut oil with 1 slice chopped anchovy, 1/2 can tuna fish, 1 sliced turnip raw w salt, handful macademia nuts, 1 cup Greek yogurt.
      D - Liver & onions, brussel sprouts, salt & pepper, Handfull of chocolate chips.
      ---

B - 2 eggs, salt, pepper, tumeric, 2 cups coffee w 1/2 & /12, 2 oz goat cheese (I'm out of bacon)
      L - Sauerkraut, Salami, 1 Greek Yogurt
      D - Red Snapper, Califlower, asparagus.
      - --

Include fish and meat daily. Any roots and leaves are good (no American potatoes, they're nightshades). I eat around 100 - 150 g carbs / day.
      Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-22-2013, 12:21 PM.
      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

in reverse order
        I think its the transition- don't underestimate the amount of change your doing- removing grain is a massive change on its own.
        i think a lot of us have eaten low fat for so long we have lost the awareness of how fat changes digestion iewhy we stay fuller.
        i'm not eating a vast amount of veggies but I eat my 50g worth and i now eat cauli, broccoli,sprouts onion and cabbage- i love them all and had to avoid them for years.
        when things settle down gradually reintroduce them.
        generally leafy green are good
        try mashing carrot with rutabaga and turnip- I love this 3 root mash with beef,pork and chicken

the sauce should be fine -onions reduce to almost nothing so although they can contribute to wind they aren't bulky or hard to digest
        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by L0kI View Post
          Hi all,
          I wanted to get your thoughts/recos for my current stomach issues.
          I've been doing a primal diet for nearly 3 weeks (zero grains, no sugar or processed foods, still a small amount of dairy - usually hard cheese, butter or cream in my coffee 1x/d). I've been eating a lot of meat, and fattier meats than I've ever been used to, eggs, tonnes of veggies and some fruit (maybe 2-3x fruit/day).
          For the first week, my stomach felt better than it had in years, finally no gas or bloating, no discomfort after every single meal... (Perhaps it finally had a break from grains). But later in the second week I started to experience some GI distress... It's slightly irritated regularly and then gets more irritated after I eat... A little bit if gas and a few sharp pains, and just generally noisey and irritated. The other thing that changed in the second week was that I started taking some Zn (50mg), Mg (300mg), D (1000IU) and the past three days, some potassium (50mg 2x/day). I try to take most of the minerals with meals b/c I know I have a sensitive stomach.
          I also take Welbutrin (300mg) and amytryptalene (10mg) daily, but I'm trying to reduce the amytryptalene (it's for Fibro).
          Just wondering about your thoughts... Would my stomach be healing and thus hurt or does that not make sense? If it was grains that had been bothering it and now they're gone, why is it still hurting? I thought I would be feeling better.
          Before I started this, I always seemed to feel stress in my stomach and it would bother me more close to my period...
          Anyway, thoughts...?
          Where is the pain located on the abdomen?

Above the belly button? On the midline below the sternum and xyphoid process? On either the right or left side near or below the ribs?

Below the belly button? Lower left or right quadrant?

Are you eating most of your veggies raw?

Any constipation or diarrhea?

Comment

You could look in to FODMAPS, frutcose intolerance, or GAPS for gut healing.

Going paleo helped my gut, but not enough. My doctor put me on a combo of probiotics, Betaine HCL, and digestive enzymes. So far, they have dramatically reduced almost all of my GI issues.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

You could try lacto-fermenting your veggies. Very easy to do with a little salt, water, and time.

You'll get your probiotics which will be extremely good for your gut, you "predigest" your vegetables in the bacteria which both increases their nutritional content and makes what they have already, more bio-available to you, and eating fermented foods has been associated with an increase in immune function.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                You could look in to FODMAPS, frutcose intolerance, or GAPS for gut healing.

Going paleo helped my gut, but not enough. My doctor put me on a combo of probiotics, Betaine HCL, and digestive enzymes. So far, they have dramatically reduced almost all of my GI issues.

Can I ask what combo/brand of probiotics, betaine and digestive enzymes you're on?

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHLi View Post
                  Where is the pain located on the abdomen?

Above the belly button? On the midline below the sternum and xyphoid process? On either the right or left side near or below the ribs?

Below the belly button? Lower left or right quadrant?

Are you eating most of your veggies raw?

Any constipation or diarrhea?
                  Hi Stephen,

The pain is generally above the belly button, under the ribs/sternum. It's not like nausea, I can feel everything rumbling around, and sometimes, it just feels like a burning/gassy situation.

I eat most veggies cooked, with the exception of traditional salad veggies like lettuce/leaves/spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, a little bit of red onion... Most everything else is cooked.

Not really any constipation or diarrhea, I still go several times a day, but it's definitely slower, less voluminous, and more solid than I've ever been used to...

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                    Can I ask what combo/brand of probiotics, betaine and digestive enzymes you're on?
                    Sure! I am taking VSL#3 for a probiotic. It is insanely expensive - but it's the only particular brand my doctor insisted on. It's working so well, I'm afraid to change anything. It needs to be refrigerated. I'm not sure where you are, but many pharmacy's carry it or can order it.

The HCL I take is Thorne Research - it is a combo of Betaine HCL and Pepsin. Finally, I am taking Whole Foods 365 Brand of digestive enzymes. I ran out of research time and just bought the first thing I found

Good luck!!
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                    X