Could too much Protein Cause High levels of Nitrogen in the Kidneys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could too much Protein Cause High levels of Nitrogen in the Kidneys

Had a blood test taken and it showed a high BUN (blood urea nitrogen test) reading. I looked up to see what could cause this and one of the reasons eating high amounts of protein. This was to check my kidney and liver. My test wasn't way off the charts but caught me surprise. Anybody else have this happen to them?
    Last edited by David; 04-26-2010, 09:01 PM. Reason: mistake in test title

How much protein are you eating a day?

EDIT: And how big are you?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I am eating anywhere from 85g to 120 g a day (protein). 6' tall/154 lbs. and am 56 years old. Crossfit 3x a week, sprint 1x or 2x awek, and keep pretty busy the rest of the week.

Comment

Was your creatinine normal? Just a quick look on Google suggests that creatinine is more accurate indicator of kidney health?

Comment

That is not a very high protein number. High is usually 2-3 grams per pound of body weight, you are less than one. I would think that is a normal ratio.
          Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

I had a high BUN reading in my last bloodwork too but it was like a year ago when i was ZC and i attributed it to the obvious... massive meat consumption
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

MalPaz,

What is ZC? Was your meat consumption greater than mine?

Comment

It was in the normal range.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  MalPaz,

What is ZC? Was your meat consumption greater than mine?
                  zero carb... and unless you were eatin close to 3 lbs of meat a day then my consumption was greater...120G??? good gracious i still eat more than that now!
                  Get on my Level

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                    zero carb... and unless you were eatin close to 3 lbs of meat a day then my consumption was greater...120G??? good gracious i still eat more than that now!
                    Wow. okay, do you mind me asking much protein do you eat daily? About what is your lean mass?

Comment

i dont know and i dont know... i dont eat 3 lbs of meat anymore since i switched to primal. i eat veggies again, organs, eggs, avocados and yogurt/kefir. i do KNOW i eat over 120g of protein a day though. ill let you know tonight ill put my stuff in the machine thing lol
                      Get on my Level

Comment

Almost exactly two months ago, I registered 30 BUN. The standard range goes up to 20. My doctor (or I should say, the guy I paid for the test) wasn't concerned and it didn't stop me from scarfing about 2g protein per pound of lean mass per day when not fasting. Apparently this is not uncommon among body builders and high-protein eaters. Creatinine levels were normal, by the way. So I doubt you have anything to worry about, as long as you're getting enough water to keep your kidneys churning. I notice mine tend to ache a little if I get too dehydrated. Otherwise, I feel excellent.

Comment

157g o protein today- i weigh 115 on a GOOD day
                          Get on my Level

Comment

Thanks for your replies. My creatine level is fine, too. I am trying to up my fat intake from 80g a day to 150-170g a day. See what happens. Eating the amount of protein that I do per day, I have constipation and my stomach feels too stuffed and swells up from the consumed protein, for a few hours. I eat about 80g to 120g of protein a day. Weight @ 154 lbs. and am at about 11% BF, 6 feet in height.

Comment

Working...
                            X