• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's different for everybody!

Some things that make my skin worse:
    Washing my face with anything but cold water
    Bad oils
    Lack of good fats, especially saturated
    Dairy, which simultaneously can cause constipation, which also worsens any acne - a dastardly duo!

Some things that make my skin clearer:
    Green tea
    Freshly dug dandelion tea
    Cold water
    Sunshine
    Bacon, tallow, other good sources of animal fat
    Only washing my face/showering when necessary, like once every three days or if I get really dirty
    Fasting
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

That feeling when never had a pimple in my life
      Make America Great Again

Comment

Well interestingly enough my skin has cleared up a lot after just a few days of cutting the bread and reducing my fruit intake to 2 small servings. I do wonder if I've been overdoing it on the fruit...coming from a high-raw diet, I'm used to eating many servings a day--I'd think nothing of eating two mangoes and a big bowl of grapes in one sitting. My skin actually glowed on raw vegan, but it wasn't a sustainable diet, and in my understanding, high meat and fat plus high fruit = impaired glucose tolerance and potentially, acne.

Edit: I have also been taking this probiotic for about a month now, perhaps it's starting to kick in: http://www.ascendedhealth.com/probio...c_Proalive.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
          That feeling when never had a pimple in my life
          Lucky you.
          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Chris Kresser seems to know a lot about just about everything. In this interview, he mentions skin problems may be triggered by gut problems. Hope this helps.

Naturally Get Rid Of Acne By Fixing Your Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Cold water
              I gave some thought about that and came to realize cold water is bad for digestion. I'd stay clear of it.
              Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Well, sure, don't jump into an icy shower right after dinner. :P
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I know that for me consuming any amount of any fruit = continuously inflames skin. There is no way around it. It's even worse with honey, so I figure it is fructose. Right now I can't find it in myself to drop fruit, but I will man up eventually. Or not. Sometimes, there is just too much sensitivity to eat even small amount of something.

Good luck fighting it off!
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I will tell you what worked for me. I struggled with acne for years, but now I get compliments on how amazing my skin is on a near daily basis. I can't believe how different it is. You would never know I had a problem.

Plenty of fat in the diet, no grains, no dairy. I have no problems with no grains, if I eat cheese (which sometimes I do) I might get a tiny whitehead (and I mean tiny; need the magnifying mirror to see it!) that goes away in a day. I also get dandruff whenever I have dairy.

Aside from that, I actually use a cheap tinted moisturizer and skip anything like foundation (don't need it). I use Cetaphil to cleanse my face without water (just use a cotton pad to wipe it off). And I only manage that once a day.

Get rid of the bread. Cut down on the fruit. Eat coconut milk, avocados, heavy cream, butter, and fatty cuts of meat. Try going higher fat, lower carb for a month, including those foods, and I would bet you'll see improvement.
                    Last edited by fatisyummy; 06-28-2013, 06:05 AM.

Comment

I've had acne problems since I was 11 and like you have been on roaccutane. I actually had 4 courses of it (which I'm now thinking could have resulted in my subsequent IBS...) -the worst of mine has gone but I do still get breakouts and stuff takes ages to heal.

Have you tried apple cider vinegar? The organic stuff, with 'the mother'. I water it down and use it after cleansing and it clears them up a treat.

Any time I have an upset gut I have bad skin, so they seem to be clearly linked. I eat primal 80% of the time but since I've got used to eating this way, I also allow more sugary treats than I used to. Alcohol is a trigger too.

Comment

I will tell you what worked for me. I struggled with acne for years, but now I get compliments on how amazing my skin is on a near daily basis. I can't believe how different it is. You would never know I had a problem.

Plenty of fat in the diet, no grains, no dairy. I have no problems with no grains, if I eat cheese (which sometimes I do) I might get a tiny whitehead somewhere that goes away in a day. I do get dandruff.

Aside from that, I actually use a cheap tinted moisturizer and skip anything like foundation (don't need it). I use Cetaphil to cleanse my face without water (just use a cotton pad to wipe it off). And I only manage that once a day.

Get rid of the bread. Cut down on the fruit. Eat coconut milk, avocados, heavy cream, butter, and fatty cuts of meat. Try going higher fat, lower carb for a month, including those foods, and I would bet you'll see improvement.
                        x2!
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

It may not be what you are eating at all, since you have cleaned up your diet. It might be your makeup.

There is no face makeup on planet earth at any price that will not result in a breakout for me.
                          Oh, of course. That shouldn't need to be said. Never put anything on your face. And almost never wash it.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by fatisyummy View Post
                            I should also warn you that if you do this your hair will look amazing. And only need washing twice a week. Three times if you sweat a LOT.

Comment

And showering less = better skin.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Just an update...it's been about 3 weeks since I stopped eating the spelt bread and the dairy, except for butter. My acne is probably 70% improved. I tried very low carb and cutting back on fruit for one week in the middle, and felt terrible--ended up being a week late for my period and had weird heart palpitations, maybe low potassium? Added 2-3 fruits and a serving of sweet potato or quinoa daily, felt back to normal and my skin continued clearing up, so it seems my instincts that low carb doesn't work for me were right (although I would no longer eat a pound of grapes and two bananas in one sitting as I did in my raw food days). I'm pretty sure the wheat and dairy were the problem. I so wanted heavy cream to be okay for me but sadly I don't think so....the funny thing is that butter doesn't trigger the acne or the addictive response of liquid cream, even though it's a very similar substance...I wonder why that is?
                                Last edited by november; 07-16-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X