Tracking every mg of every micronutrient

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking every mg of every micronutrient

I just started (yesterday) to use fitday.com to keep track of what I eat and get some idea of the nutrient content of the things I eat on a daily basis. Now I have first hand experience with the problems that come with calorie and nutrient counting: it's a pain in the ass, it takes a lot of time, and it probably isn't accurate. Nevertheless, now I'm spending a lot more time thinking about what I eat, so I'm curious about exactly what the nutrient content is in what I usually eat.

What's really a pain is recipes. I use sparkrecipes to calculate the nutrient content of each serving of a recipe and then I have to enter that into fitday. Does anyone else do this? Is there a better way?

Despite the big plate of swiss chard I had for dinner, according to fitday, I'm still below the RDA in a lot of micronutrients. I should average over a whole week...

Oysters, eggs, liver, bacon (for thiamine) and seaweed will kick those numbers in the nuts. And for vitamin C, rose hips and sauerkraut are the bomb.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      And for vitamin C, rose hips and sauerkraut are the bomb.
      Strawberries and oranges are not bad either (quite more than sauerkraut)

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        And for vitamin C, rose hips and sauerkraut are the bomb.
        Strawberries and oranges are not bad either (quite more than sauerkraut)

Comment

At some point take into account though that the RDA isn't really based on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
            At some point take into account though that the RDA isn't really based on anything.
            Indeedly, I think someone computed the most strategic intake to hit it without supplements/fortification would be something like 5,500 calories.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
              How true. I started learning this with Vit. D. The RDA is about 15 - 100. Now there's a range for you. So I started googling and learned a lot of interesting facts. Ultimately I found that the Optimal Range is 80 - 90. That's a whale of a difference. Some researchers are now using that term - Optimal Range. At least it's some improvement.
              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                I just started (yesterday) to use fitday.com to keep track of what I eat and get some idea of the nutrient content of the things I eat on a daily basis. Now I have first hand experience with the problems that come with calorie and nutrient counting: it's a pain in the ass, it takes a lot of time, and it probably isn't accurate. Nevertheless, now I'm spending a lot more time thinking about what I eat, so I'm curious about exactly what the nutrient content is in what I usually eat.

What's really a pain is recipes. I use sparkrecipes to calculate the nutrient content of each serving of a recipe and then I have to enter that into fitday. Does anyone else do this? Is there a better way?

Despite the big plate of swiss chard I had for dinner, according to fitday, I'm still below the RDA in a lot of micronutrients. I should average over a whole week...
                SparkRecipes is linked with the SparkPeople site so, if you do your calorie counting on SparkPeople your recipes can follow you without having to be re-entered.

Comment

RDI is actually mostly OK, except for the fat soluble vitamins and protein.
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                    Instead of calculating nutrient content of each serving of a recipe try it the other way around: record actual ingredients in the serving size you eat. I find it much easier and it helps me track what I actually eat instead of micro or macro nutrients. I use fatsecret.com

Sent from my Nexus 4

Comment

Strawberries and oranges are not bad either
                      Not for IBS.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I just found paleotrack and I like it much better than fitday and sparkpeople. It automatically shows me my potassium/sodium ratio which seems to be low and that's what I'm trying to improve.

Comment

+1 for paleotrack. You can add custom foods and recipes and it calculates data for one serving. It also shows omega 3:6 ratio, fiber etc. And no red warnings that you overate fat
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman

My journal
                          iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

Comment

Working...
                          X