Conspiracy or idiocy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conspiracy or idiocy?

Pseudo-healthy processed foods: margarine / added fiber breakfast cereals / low fat yoghurts, skimmed milk. They all require technology to make them, and promote industry, jobs etc. They all get amazing press in our media. Its been going on for 50 odd years now. Its an entire economy.

Have we gone temporarily mad? Or is there some actual conspiracy to fool the populace into being malnourished, slightly desperate consumers, who will continue to pay top dollar for whatever new health 'solution' that comes out of a factory?

People do tend to like shortcuts for anything. So if a product is marketed as a shortcut for health, people will pay for it, especially if its in a fancy box. Everyone likes a fancy box. Is that all there is to it, or is there something more sinister going on?

These are my thoughts, people.
    Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

I think it is deliberate but has no one person or group behind it. People act in their own self interest, and when groups of them get the power that the government/corporations have they will use it to their advantage... and that is usually to the detriment of those that they have power over. The sickness isn't just in the health world. You could post this on any forum on almost any subject.

Comment

Follow the money. The big agra conglomerates pay for US government officials. The big agra conglomerates lobby the government and the medical industries to promote CW as healthy--and it puts money back in the pockets of the agra conglomerates and the drug companies. I don't think it's conspiracy, it's greed.

Comment

I vote for Idiotic Conspiracy......
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
          Follow the money. The big agra conglomerates pay for US government officials. The big agra conglomerates lobby the government and the medical industries to promote CW as healthy--and it puts money back in the pockets of the agra conglomerates and the drug companies. I don't think it's conspiracy, it's greed.
          +1 except I do think that now it's a conspiracy. Like the Big Pharma execs that don't let their grandchildren get vaccinated, I believe Big Agra doesn't eat the shit it produces - it just sells it to the ignorant masses.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, but there is always money involved. The big food companies plan advertising and food flavors around getting people addicted to their products rather than to promote any kind of healthy eating in consumers. There was a book about this recently...I think it is called Salt Sugar Fat?
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              +1 except I do think that now it's a conspiracy. Like the Big Pharma execs that don't let their grandchildren get vaccinated, I believe Big Agra doesn't eat the shit it produces - it just sells it to the ignorant masses.
              Me too!
              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Didn't start as a conspiracy just like all evil starts small. But now they know they are "in blood Stepp’d in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er" How can you tell the World that you have been selling them poison for years and telling them it would make them healthy? heaven forbid some rich suit might have to resign!
                Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Its a bit of everything, mainly fueled by greed and bad science. I wouldnt put it past big pharma, USDA, Monsanto, FDA and others to team up for a conspiracy of making the general population sick, weak and dumb.

Comment

So there's quite a few things going on really:

1) The 'magpie factor' - people like things in shiny packaging
                    2) Bad science encouraging, amongst other things, fear of fat
                    3) Food companies being able to sell very cheap ingredients as a 'solution' to those fears

I think the processed foods that are marketed as 'healthy' are arguably more dangerous than, for example, chocolate bars, which at least don't even pretend to be healthy in the first place.

This gets so many people confused, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
                      Didn't start as a conspiracy just like all evil starts small. But now they know they are "in blood Stepp’d in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er" How can you tell the World that you have been selling them poison for years and telling them it would make them healthy? heaven forbid some rich suit might have to resign!
                      I think this is it. You sell your soul to the devil little by little and then you are as screwed as the dumb f€<&$ that make up the masses.
                      50yo, 5'3"
                      SW-195
                      CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                      GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by Owen View Post
                        So there's quite a few things going on really:

1) The 'magpie factor' - people like things in shiny packaging
                        2) Bad science encouraging, amongst other things, fear of fat
                        3) Food companies being able to sell very cheap ingredients as a 'solution' to those fears

I think the processed foods that are marketed as 'healthy' are arguably more dangerous than, for example, chocolate bars, which at least don't even pretend to be healthy in the first place.

This gets so many people confused, I believe.
                        This.

They're honestly giving the people what they want in the cheapest possible way, with crap science to back them up when anyone questions about whether they ought to be eating it.

"Oh, you don't like Froot Loops? Fine, we'll give you Frosted Flakes with whole grain goodness. Still not healthy? Here's some Kashi. It's great with skim milk. Or, even better, with soy milk. Everyone knows soy is good for you!"
                        Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
                          Yup, I think they all originally believed in the fat-heart hypothesis and healthy carbs, which was good for cereal/sugar and bad for dairy/meat firms. The drug firms jumped on the back of the same hypothesis and the balance is now weighted in their favour and held there by the medical industry who have drugs that 'work' against the symptoms they're applied to. And the drug firms keep developing 'cures' for the side effects of the first set of drugs, so they're stuck into prescribing what has an immediate effect and waiting on 'better' drugs.

It's going to take a lot to shift the balance back. The medical establishment shifting position would probably do it, but that would mean moving away from prescribing for immediate results and asking patients to change lifestyle in the hope that they can comply enough to get the result they could have from a drug in a shorter time. And, of course, admitting that they were fooled by bad science and then too invested in the dogma to be able to step back.

I can't see the drug firms shifting - it's just a question of business. The manufacturers are in the same position and as long as they can fund the research and influence publication (by funding conferences, committees and research) the governments will follow the science that's shoved under their noses.

I don't think the meat/dairy industry can fight back except very carefully. I think the existence of a growing (hopefully) proportion of the population who are going against CW and yet showing improved health is a long-term strategy for shifting the balance.

I think there's a wild-card out there now in the Internet and the big IT firms/people - the likes of Bill Gates and Richard Branson. These people and firms have resources and presence, but they have no interest ... as yet. Should one of them stumble into an understanding of the perils of CW, well, that might be interesting.
                          Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Comment

This whole thing exhibits a chaotic dynamic: these big firms generate some profits which are unsustainable in the long run but they refuse to let go of them until they break down or find other sources of profits, no matter the consequences if they are under the illusion that these profits can last (which they never do because of intrinsic chaotic instabilities). This is no real conspiracy or idiocy, just the physics of chaos applied to economics.

Comment

We may never be able to make an apple, what we can do is throw some gunk in a bag and put pictures of apples on the bag.

The idea that at some stage a high-profile individual is going to weigh in with the paleo movement is an interesting one. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of successful people already follow an approximation of the paleo diet anyway, without giving it much thought. If you go to high end restaurants, what you are basically served is very good quality fresh produce - with an emphasis, usually, on meat and vegetables. I once saw an interview with the chef Marco Pierre-White, he was asked whether he considered himself an 'artist', and he said 'No, Mother Nature is the artist, all I do is assemble her wares in an attractive way'.

Comment

Working...
                              X