Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breastfeeding/nutrition weight gain help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding/nutrition weight gain help!

First of all sorry this will be long
    I am currently 3 months postpartum. I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter. Well I am thinking the breastfeeding saying of losing weight is simply a myth. I weighed 180 when I got pregnant, was only about 22% so considered healthy. Well the day I wen in for my scheduled csection I weighed 228!! After 2 weeks I lost the inital pregnancy weight and ended up at 212.
    At 9weeks I started cuttin calories and began paleo eating and working out crossfit/running etc. well I am now 222!!!! Wtf!? So my three weeks of eating super healthy (1700cal a day) cross fit 3 times per week and running/walking with my double stroller on other days.

I am hypothyroid(had thyroid cancer when I was 19 I am now 28)so I do take synthyroid everyday. I have had every possible test under the sun. Everything has come back normal of course.

I do find that the days I do crossfit I am super moody and feel really crappy.

I also took my inches measurements and have lost inches though.
    Does anyone have any insight on what they think is going on? I am feeling so discouraged about nursing and also working out .

Hi Carm,

Breastfeeding was a priority for me. I loved it and I miss it. It's such a great feeling to be able to feed your baby. The weight came of, eventually, about a year after giving birth. I was too tired to lose weight before that.

I don't know you, but if you were my sister/friend, I would advise to focus on your baby and her health. Enjoy the miracle of life and the early months because they go by so fast. You DD doesn't care if mommy is slim. You just gave birth three months ago, don't be so hard on yourself, give yourself a break. You will lose the weight, don't worry.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Comment

Hi Waterlilly
      Breastfeeding is super important to me as well. I'm just worried about my health as I keep getting bigger and bigger. I can not take care of her and my toddler girl if I feel so crappy. So I guess it is the weight that bothers me but also my own psyical and mental health. I never been this big in my life..I worry about things like heart diabetes as other health problems that come with too much weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Carm720 View Post
        I also took my inches measurements and have lost inches though.
        If you have lost inches you are not getting bigger!! Ditch the scales and go on how you feel and how your clothes fit. In my non-expert opinion I would say that you are not eating anywhere near enough for your level of activity and breastfeeding and that is probably why you feel moody on your crossfit days. I weigh about 40lbs less than you, breastfeeding, but an older child and probably not as active and I need more calories than you are eating currently, even for weight loss!

If you really want to count calories work out your BMR and TDEE and go from there for a weight loss of no more than 0.5lb per week while you have such a young baby.
        Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

Comment

Breastfeeding on its own does not make you gain weight. I don't know if the combination with your thyroid would give you problems. What does your health care provider say about it?

Are you eating ENOUGH? Unless you are maybe 4'4", your calories seem WAY low to me. With the extra calories needed for nursing (average 500 per day) and your workouts, plus the healing needed for your body after surgery, I think you are UNDEReating, and your metabolism is conserving.

How about trying to up your calories, with mostly protein and fat for a week, and see if that shakes things up? I did a quick calculation, making you 5'6", and with the nursing requirement, your calories came out to 3350 to maintain. Even knocking 1,000 off of it, to lose 2 pounds per week, leaves you at 2350 calories per day.

*I did mean upping her EXTRA calories with protein and fat, not that she should be low-carb, just to clarify.
          Last edited by Sabine; 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I agree with Sabine. Crossfit 3 times a week, plus pushing a double stroller and breast feeding on 1700 calories a day? It is no wonder you feel awful. I would either cut way back on the exercise or start eating a lot more. Your body is trying to tell you that you're taking on too much with too little nutrition. That's my take on it, anyway.

Comment

In my experience, the inability to lose 'baby weight' is down to tiredness. So take your magnesium supplements, try and get daytime naps if possible (especially when baby is napping) and go easy on yourself. Getting enough sleep is so so important when you have a new baby.

If you could get a family member/friend to make you up some primal meals for the freezer, that would take some pressure off you. Because when you are tired and have a hungry baby looking for their feed, that's when you reach for the 'quick fix' - it is just so much easier. One thing I do now is make enough meals to feed the family and freeze the same again for one of those 'I'm just so exhausted' days.

Comment

I think you should definitely up your calories. For what it's worth, I too gained weight around the 3-5 month mark with both kids (exclusively breastfed both) but around 9 months with both I started losing, very, very easily. My friends have had similar experiences so I would say to give it some time.
                I can only imagine how crappy you are feeling, 1700 calories is just not enough food, especially if you're physically active and breastfeeding. Your body will do everything possible to take care of making enough milk for your baby, which means that if it means taking nutrients from you (read, feeling like crap) then that's what will happen.
                Slow down, eat more and give it some time.

Comment

It is true for some people, and a myth for others. It was a myth for me!

In my body, it was 14 months postpartum before I was back to my normal shapes/sizes/weight. For those 14 months, I was my sons sole and then later primary nourishment, and my body held onto fat to maintain what he needed. Then at 14 months, nursing was less for nutrition (or, maybe "back up" nutrition) as he took most of his nutrition from food.

In terms of nutrition, the rule of thumb is about 25% more calories than your normal (prepregnancy) diet. So if your normal diet is 1800 calories, than you need an extra 450 calories, for a total of 2250 calories.

Otherwise, your body is holding onto fat to feed the baby.
                  Last edited by zoebird; 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Hi Waterlilly
                    Breastfeeding is super important to me as well. I'm just worried about my health as I keep getting bigger and bigger. I can not take care of her and my toddler girl if I feel so crappy. So I guess it is the weight that bothers me but also my own psyical and mental health. I never been this big in my life..I worry about things like heart diabetes as other health problems that come with too much weight.
                    If you've lost inches, you are not getting bigger and bigger.

Ditch the scale, and eat for optimal health for you AND your babies That means optimal mental health also.
                    Sandra
                    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Hi Waterlilly
                      If you've lost inches, you are not getting bigger and bigger.

Ditch the scale, and eat for optimal health for you AND your babies That means optimal mental health also.
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

What do your thyroid labs look like?
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                          What do your thyroid labs look like?
                          First off thank you everyone for all the responses.i am definetly going to slow down my workouts and maybe just stick to walking for this next week and see if that change anything.

For my thyroid my tsh was 2.0. My t3 was 1 I believe and not sure if my t4 but I know it was "normal" accordin to the dr. There is one small thing that I found strange and that was my blood glucose level was only 65 and that was after I ate 2 hour prior a grassfed whey protein smoothie with berries and avocado. I asked my dr and she blew it off

Comment

When you are nursing you still have elevated levels of female hormones, not as high as pregnancy but higher than normal. Those hormones will encourage your body to store and keep fat to supply the nursing. Many women including myself simply couldn't lose weight while nursing. At this point I would just work on fitness levels and keeping the little one fed. I am also diabetic and hashimoto's so I am also familiar with the effects of those. A blood sugar level of 65 is probably not a worry unless you spend a lot of time there. Both exercise and nursing will deplete your blood sugar and bring it down. My son was 21 lbs by six months old and exclusively nursed. I ended up eating an insane amount of calories to keep up with him in milk. I figured if I wasn't gaining weight that I was eating enough to supply him with enough calories. He was 36 lbs by his first birthday and 38 by his second. I nursed him for 20 months total.

Comment

I am in a similar situation... my baby girl just turned 4 months old (and I have a 3 year old son). The weight seemed to melt off much quicker after I had my son (maybe I was getting more sleep when I just had 1 kid?). My body hung onto 5 or so pounds while I was breast-feeding but that was it.

Right now I'm 10-15 pounds above my normal weight and I haven't seen the scale move at all since 6 weeks post-partum. I am still wearing maternity pants too (so depressing!) but I know I'll fit into my regular jeans some day! I am at a healthy BMI now (150 lbs & I'm 5'9") but my waste has quite a bit of cushion left over! The mirror test is often more accurate than the scale!

I do eat more than you (probably around 2500 calories per day) and I'm not nearly as active (I cannot imagine doing cross-fit... I'm way too tired - I do half hour weight workouts a couple times per week & walking). Anyway, I don't have any magical tips for you (sorry!) - just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. I also eat more carbs (between around 125-200 g per day) than I would if I weren't breast-feeding. I'm hesitant to restrict calories or carbs as I don't want my supply to be affected.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X