Paleo low carb - fat percentage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo low carb - fat percentage

Would a diet consisting of 60-65% of calories coming from fats be to high in fat content

not enough fat, you need a lot more. I would go for at least 85%, any less and you've failed.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Too high for what?

I'd never consume a diet that high in fats because it's virtually impossible to do that naturally without adding refined oils. Just eat real food. Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, roots, tubers, whatever. Avoid grains and vegetable oils and you'll do fine.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren R View Post
        Would a diet consisting of 60-65% of calories coming from fats be to high in fat content
        So long as you hit your protein minimum, and so long as you enjoy getting 60-65% of your calories from fat, it is absolutely fine to do so.

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        Too high for what?

I'd never consume a diet that high in fats because it's virtually impossible to do that naturally without adding refined oils. Just eat real food. Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, roots, tubers, whatever. Avoid grains and vegetable oils and you'll do fine.
        I'm not entirely certain I'd agree it's impossible to hit those macros without adding oils (can easily done eating fattier cuts of meat, eggs, etc), but I do 100% agree with the rest - focus on whole, real food sources, not a macronutrient ratio.
        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
        MFP Food Diary:
        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

You'll find no consensus on this. Nutrient density precludes macronutrient ratios unless you are just really into ketosis. I am, and I do enjoy some very high-fat days, up into the 80% range. Feel-good? Oh, yes. Natural? Sort of, it's like fasting - but with food. :P
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Come on guys stop trolling... He's obviously interested in a high fat low carb diet, the one true path.

Grok on brother.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

Just eat 30 bananas a day instead, I heard it keeps you lean.

Comment

Primal/paleo are not high-fat / low-carb. They are just toxin free diets. However one does not prevent the other.

60% of calories from fats, that's my macro since more than one year and doing pretty fine. Despite what people may think, I eat plenty of vegetables, too. I just choose the right ones. Just some days ago I realized I eat more veggies than a vegan (I do not consider rice, pasta, topinambur and tofu as vegetables).

Fats do not need to come from vegetable oils (although being Italian I will never say no to some good EVO onto my salad). Fat cuts (organ meats, I mostly eat that), oily fishes, yolks, coconut oil/milk as well as some butter, or ghee, and cream will provide you what you need in terms of calories, nutrients (essential fatty acids) and fat soluble vitamins.

That said, amount of carbs highly depends on your daily activities: if you keep moving all the day there is nothing wrong eating some sugars. I myself double the fruits on those days I am particularly active. Being onto my butt in front of a laptop the rest of the week, I am so insulin resistant that any sugar will just make me want for me. Not so with fats. That's the reason of my choice.

Comment

I'm currently getting around 70 - 75% from fat. It seems to suit me.
                  Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Comment

Hi mate seeing as this is your first post, I won't be an ass and troll ya (wink derpamix).

choco's advice is pretty solid, what he's saying is that any good fats that you should be eating is going to come with protein and carbs (eg a fatty steak or avocado etc). Then focusing on eating real and fresh foods is key.

My only extra advice would be to only go low carb for about a month or 2, only to rid yourself of the carb addiction.
                    After a month or 2 start cycling good carbs back in to your diet, the important point is to cycle them in, eg a few days a week slowly increase your carb intake, the other days you can stay low carb. You can also do the same thing for calorie levels and fat/protein percentages.
                    This prevents metabolic down regulation that is prevalent on these message boards from people trying to run low carbs or low calories indefinitely.

Finally welcome to MDA.Hope your primal journey is a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                    A little primal gem - My Success Story
                    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

Varies a lot for me. Yesterday evening, it was probably around 40%. I ate a lot of potatoes and also had shirataki noodles for the konjac root fibers (I cooked them in a home-made bone broth that simmered for like 72 hours). I also had duck meat that was on the fatty side of things. I did not add any other fat to my food, it all came from the duck meat. I had tons of strawberries and blueberries for dessert and 10g of dark choc.

Comment

Eat whatever your body wants. Don't eat foods that poison you. Don't eat anything invented in the past 300 years.
                        You have to find your own macros. I sit at around 45-65% of kcals from fat, because that's what my body wants naturally. Lately my carbs keep hovering at/breaking 200g/day, because I'm on my feet literally all day and need the fuel. Restricting your body should be the last option. For now, you have to assess what your body wants and whether it wants what it needs. Once you know how in-tune your body is you can consider different dietary patterns and macros.

@ChocoTaco and AngryKiwi:
                        Actually it's very possible.
                        Most of my fat comes from butter, fatty meat, offal and fish. I'll eat a tablespoon or three of nuts and seeds daily and 25-50g of butter daily.
                        Example...
                        Breakfast: 300g potato, 1 tin of mackerel in brine, 50g butter.
                        Lunch: 6 rashers of bacon, 200g ox tongue, 200g cabbage and 1 small onion.
                        Dinner: 6 hard-boiled eggs.
                        Snacks: 3 flat tablespoons of tahini.
                        Result.
                        Total: 2787kcal.
                        -183g fat, 1647kcal, 60%.
                        -190g protein, 760kcal, 27%.
                        -95g carbs, 380kcal, 13%.
                        --
                        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                        I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                          But what if you were to remove the extra butter and tahini ? Could you break it down and see how much fat that would amount to ?

In my case, the only extra fat I got was the 10g dark chocolate. The fat in my meal came for fatty duck (French style rillettes and a little of the fat rendered from a "magret", i.e. duck fillet of a fattened duck - I used some in my potatoes).

Comment

it's virtually impossible to do that naturally without adding refined oils. .
                            Most of my fat comes from butter, fatty meat, offal and fish. I'll eat a tablespoon or three of nuts and seeds daily and 25-50g of butter daily.
                            Example...
                            Breakfast: 300g potato, 1 tin of mackerel in brine, 50g butter.
                            Lunch: 6 rashers of bacon, 200g ox tongue, 200g cabbage and 1 small onion.
                            Dinner: 6 hard-boiled eggs.
                            Snacks: 3 flat tablespoons of tahini.
                            Result.
                            Total: 2787kcal.
                            -183g fat, 1647kcal, 60%.
                            -190g protein, 760kcal, 27%.
                            -95g carbs, 380kcal, 13%.
                            Noted.
                            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                            MFP Food Diary:
                            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I'd never consume a diet that high in fats because it's virtually impossible to do that naturally.
                              This is like the only time I've agreed with this guy in forever hehe.

If you look at the data available on hunter-gatherer societies the macros tend to land around 45-55% fat for the carnivorous tribes. The reason is they are eating much higher *protein* than most people today, even after getting all the fat possible from the carcass (which tended to be learner).

Not that it is unhealthy to eat cream and fat-meat and hit a 80% fat macro. Just saying there's isn't a lot of data showing many tribes were able to hit that.

Comment

Working...
                              X