Paleo low carb - fat percentage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Not that it is unhealthy to eat cream and fat-meat and hit a 80% fat macro.
    If you have to be VLC / ketogenic for a reason (some kind of brain disorder, etc), that is the ONLY way to cover your daily needs. It is also a good fat loss tool when you restrict carbs close to 0 with that goal in mind.

Comment

@James and AngryKiwi:

Brine is salt-water (0 fat), the tahini is ground seeds (100% natural and not hard to collect 3 tablespoons of random seeds, either, it's about 25-30g) and butter is just butter. No refined oil, nothing unnatural or anything heavily processed, just seeds and a replacement for the animal fat that I don't have much access to. If I had access to quality beef-fat more often, I'd eat over 100g of that a day instead of butter. Just swap them around.
      --
      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
      I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I easily eat 80% of my calories from fat everyday. So does Peter over at Hyperlipid and Anna at LifeExtension blog.

Protein is 15% and carbs are 5%.

Fatty meat, pâté, salmon, cheese, butter on my veggies, eggs, chocolate butter (basically dark chocolate mixed with butter), cream in my tea...
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

It agrees with me to eat a lot of fat in the winter. Some of you live places where winter is never cold, as it is up here. A high fat diet in the winter totally revs up my metabolism in a way I don't need during the warm months. It is not necessary to consume oils or fats by the spoonful to make that work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
            @ChocoTaco and AngryKiwi:
            Actually it's very possible.
            Most of my fat comes from butter, fatty meat, offal and fish. I'll eat a tablespoon or three of nuts and seeds daily and 25-50g of butter daily.
            Example...
            Breakfast: 300g potato, 1 tin of mackerel in brine, 50g butter.
            Lunch: 6 rashers of bacon, 200g ox tongue, 200g cabbage and 1 small onion.
            Dinner: 6 hard-boiled eggs.
            Snacks: 3 flat tablespoons of tahini.
            Result.
            Total: 2787kcal.
            -183g fat, 1647kcal, 60%.
            -190g protein, 760kcal, 27%.
            -95g carbs, 380kcal, 13%.
            You didn't read my post.

I didn't say it's impossible to do on a per-meal basis. What I said is that you can't consistently do it daily. Eating actual food is not going to maintain a 65% calories from fat ratio. You have to go out of your way to exclude fruits, roots and starches and you have to add lots of refined fats, which you did. Over 20% of your fat calories are coming from butter, and another 20% from a seed butter. Neither of these things are real food and quite processed.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I probably eat 60% fat. Last time I checked it was round 60-70. If you tend to choose fatty meats (I do on purpose), get em with bone in for extra nutrients and flavor then its very easy to do and you don't need exogenous sources. But if you use butter, coconut oil, tallow, lard or whatever to add some flavor to your otherwise bland foods so what? Its fine. It CAN be done consistently and daily.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                You didn't read my post.

I didn't say it's impossible to do on a per-meal basis. What I said is that you can't consistently do it daily. Eating actual food is not going to maintain a 65% calories from fat ratio. You have to go out of your way to exclude fruits, roots and starches and you have to add lots of refined fats, which you did. Over 20% of your fat calories are coming from butter, and another 20% from a seed butter. Neither of these things are real food and quite processed.
                What is normal eating for one person would be "going out of their way" to eat fruits, roots, and starches and avoid fats to another person. That is not an objective consideration.

Comment

Last I checked I hover around 60% and my dinner plates look pretty normal.

There is no obvious "fat" portion of the plate (like cheese or nuts) but the meat has fat, the vegetables were roasted or sauteed in oil, the starch is dressed in butter. Fat is lovely. Fat also adds up really fast because of the double whammy of higher energy density and hydrophobia (protein and carb foods are mostly water, fat is not).
                  37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

What an awesome forum - thanks for the wealth of information!

Have many questions - while on my new lifestyle journey - one thing I am finding tough is to locate good consistent sources/places to buy meats locally - any tips - been calling around local farmers and butchers as a start!

Comment

Check out Eat Wild

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        What is normal eating for one person would be "going out of their way" to eat fruits, roots, and starches and avoid fats to another person. That is not an objective consideration.
                        If you truly eat based on what your cravings are - and you have cravings for a reason - you almost certainly won't wind up eating 65% fat. You'll probably eat around 33/33/33 - roughly equal macronutrients. Yes, maybe there will be some variance - maybe you'll be 35/30/35, maybe 40/20/40, 20/40/40...whatever. But you won't be eating meat and vegetables only and drowning them in refined fat. That's learned behavior born out of fear. You have to learn how to "modify" your cravings. Cravings for cookies and candy may simply be cravings for glucose, so eat fruits and starches instead. Cravings for ice cream may be cravings for fat, so eat meats, eggs and cheeses. When you exclude a macro you increase your chances of developing cravings for junk foods. The way I've found to eliminate cravings altogether is to eat sufficient calories consisting of healthy fats, proteins, starches and fruits. When you give your body all the building blocks it needs and not force it to convert one macro to another out of desperation, it's happiest.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

If you truly eat based on what your cravings are - and you have cravings for a reason - you almost certainly won't wind up eating 65% fat. You'll probably eat around 33/33/33 - roughly equal macronutrients. Yes, maybe there will be some variance - maybe you'll be 35/30/35, maybe 40/20/40, 20/40/40...whatever. But you won't be eating meat and vegetables only and drowning them in refined fat. That's learned behavior born out of fear. You have to learn how to "modify" your cravings. Cravings for cookies and candy may simply be cravings for glucose, so eat fruits and starches instead. Cravings for ice cream may be cravings for fat, so eat meats, eggs and cheeses. When you exclude a macro you increase your chances of developing cravings for junk foods. The way I've found to eliminate cravings altogether is to eat sufficient calories consisting of healthy fats, proteins, starches and fruits. When you give your body all the building blocks it needs and not force it to convert one macro to another out of desperation, it's happiest.

Comment

BS. I have no cravings for sweet things. Only fatty/salty things.

Quit assuming that you know best for everyone. You don't.

Comment

Truly written as one who has no clue how other people live and what foods they crave.

Comment

I'm quite familiar how people on MDA generally live. In fear. There are very few people on this forum that are grounded and just go with the flow. Virtually every thread you'll find on the main page is someone terrified of something they shouldn't be afraid of.

My message is "just eat real food, don't worry about fat and carbs" and the zealots come out in full force!

Comment

Working...
                                X