Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleo IF/Lean Gains here asking about fat intake....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure that would be fine, but just know that excess fat when in a caloric surplus will lead to fat storage. But if there is a deficit at the end of the week then this probably won't make a difference.

I would still recommend keeping carbs higher and fat lower on training days. Berkhan does it this way for a reason, I would stick to his recommendations, but that's just me.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Originally posted by jakejoh10 View Post
      I'm sure that would be fine, but just know that excess fat when in a caloric surplus will lead to fat storage. But if there is a deficit at the end of the week then this probably won't make a difference.

I would still recommend keeping carbs higher and fat lower on training days. Berkhan does it this way for a reason, I would stick to his recommendations, but that's just me.
      Thanks again

Comment

Forgot to ask about the idea of backloading calories after a heavy lift. It's all over the Internet. Any thoughts on that?

It Says carbs and fats after an evening lift while fasted all day is fine ??

Thanks b

Comment

Originally posted by fkjr2 View Post
          Forgot to ask about the idea of backloading calories after a heavy lift. It's all over the Internet. Any thoughts on that?

It Says carbs and fats after an evening lift while fasted all day is fine ??

Thanks b
          As for your first question, I think there are some psychological benefits to "backloading" calories (you'll want to eat more after lifting heavy), but as far as body composition goes, it doesn't make a difference as long as you hit your calorie and macronutrient totals for the day.

Could you rephrase your second question? I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Comment

So, don't overthink. High protein on all days, lower carb, higher fat on off days, higher carb, lower fat on training days.
            I like this. I didn't know about the high cabs on training days.

High protein on all days. Meaning 100g for example? Sources could be milk, eggs, meat, protein shakes?

High carbs. potatoes and rice? I can't handle sweet potatoes.

High fat. A lot of egg yolks, avocados, coconut fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Natureman View Post
              I didn't know about the high cabs on training days.
              It depends on many factors, but in most cases, higher carbs on training days will help to restore glycogen and it will allow you to sidestep the metabolic issues that tend to happen when someone is on a low carb diet for a long period of time.

You could also just do one refeed per week, like Mark recommends, instead of high carb every training day. It just depends on what works for you and gives you the best results.

High protein on all days. Meaning 100g for example? Sources could be milk, eggs, meat, protein shakes?
              The amount of protein is going to be highly individual, and even then it's up for debate how much protein is actually required. I tend to recommend around .8 grams - 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, just to be safe. Again, this is not set in stone, but it definitely depends on your goals, amount of lean body mass you have, etc, etc.

And yes, those are all great protein sources.

High carbs. potatoes and rice? I can't handle sweet potatoes.
              Yes that's fine.

High fat. A lot of egg yolks, avocados, coconut fat?
              Sounds good.

Just remember, everything about diet is highly individual, and many factors will depend on your goals, your current body composition, genetics, etc.

Comment

As for your first question, I think there are some psychological benefits to "backloading" calories (you'll want to eat more after lifting heavy), but as far as body composition goes, it doesn't make a difference as long as you hit your calorie and macronutrient totals for the day.

Could you rephrase your second question? I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
                I mean the philosophy behind carb backloading is you fast all day which is what I practice and then lift around 5pm. Wait an hour and then carb load with fats and protein also. People have been following this and not gaining fat but rather gaining muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by fkjr2 View Post
                  I mean the philosophy behind carb backloading is you fast all day which is what I practice and then lift around 5pm. Wait an hour and then carb load with fats and protein also. People have been following this and not gaining fat but rather gaining muscle.
                  You do not fast all day on Carb Backloading. You eat only protein and fats up to the point of resistance training, then you consume carbs afterwards. Keifer (the creator of CBL) recommends keeping fat fairly low during backloads to prevent spillover into fat stores.

Comment

Working...
                  X