X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Sounds a little strange to me.

Perhaps you're not really full.

If you're half way through the plate and you're really full and then you finish it off, then don't you feel sick?
    Yes, I often eat until I feel overfull / sick. That's what I'm trying to stop. I chalk it up to years and years of overeating and using food as a drug. I'm trying to learn to see food as fuel, as medicine - not as something to be used to make me feel better after a bad day.

Thanks for everyone's thoughtful responses. I think it is something that I will have to practice and will hopefully get better at with time. I think I'll start by taking less on my plate. That's probably a good place to start.

Interested to hear other's experiences...

Comment

I just fill my bowl or plate with enough to leave me wanting more. I don't like the feeing of being stuffed. It's best if I don't prepare enough to be able to go back for seconds because I'm usually still wanting more when my plate's empty.

One thing I do now is I purposefully make extra but before I serve dinner I put that extra serving in a container and put it in the fridge. That'll be my breakfast or lunch. Then I can't have 2nds because it's been put away already.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

This might not work for everyone because some folks are busier than I am and have to save time by cooking more than just one meal at a time.

Buy a smaller plate just for you. Then cook just what you want to eat in one meal. No leftovers. It's the same concept (sort of) as telling people not to have trigger foods in their home. If you're cooking something like a whole chicken, cut off what you want to eat, then cut up the rest and put it in the freezer before you sit down to eat.

Before primal, I used to get take out from a Chinese place that served mountainous portions. I'd throw away about a quarter to a third of it before I sat down to eat.

Oh, and yes, I will overeat if something is delicious, even if I'm not hungry which is why I've had to develop the above behaviors.

Note: I used the chicken as an example even though sometimes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating a whole chicken, especially if it's the only thing you're eating that day.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I use to struggle with overeating simply because something tasted good - it was almost always the result of trying to restrict myself first (not eat when I was actually hungry, then I would binge). Thankfully, I've been very in tune with my hunger and full signals for around 10 years now, and even when not eating primally, I've been able to maintain my weight easily where it is "suppose to be." Maybe try REALLY focusing on huger and fullness for a week. If you feel hungry - eat. If you feel full - stop. Make sure you always eat a little something when hungry, and stop the moment you feel full. It can be a little tricky at first, but eventually your body will probably regulate into somewhat of a meal like pattern. Of course, I tend to be a grazer - even eating primally, my body is full after a few bites and then I need a snack a couple hours later. I just can't make myself eat a huge meal at this point in time (I do occasionally if it's really good - then I feel stuffed and don't eat for a good 5 hours or so).

Anyway, I would also say, but a very small portion on your plate at meal time. If you are still hungry you can always get more.

Comment

Heather -- I've also struggled my whole life with the "See Food" diet compulsion you are struggling with. I'm 5'10" and now down about 50 lbs from my start of 257 in July,2012. I've now got it under control (except Thanksgiving and Christmas.) My best suggestion is in line with several others here, with one addition. Put less on your plate to start with. Clean your plate, then wait at least 10-15 minutes before allowing yourself seconds, give your brain time to get the message that you are comfortably full. I now practice what my Dad always did, Eat when you are hungry, quit eating when you are no longer hungry. He was 6' 1" and maintained a 170 lb physique his whole life. He died from cancer in his 70's. My Mother served a traditional deep South type diet with a lot of fried stuff, but almost no eating out.
            The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Personally I always eat up my food that is served on a large plate usually including 3/4 pound of meat, chicken or fish, with potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, banana etc., after eating a green salad first. Then I finish with fruit salad and black Colombian coffee and ice water. More than 2000 primal calories in one huge dinner! The black coffee marks the end and "period" of the meal and makes me feel even fuller...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

There's also a difference between not being hungry anymore, feeling full and being stuffed to the gills.

It can take a while to re-learn what your body is telling you. Early on in my primal/paleo experience I was eating only when I was hungry enough to eat an actual meal (hence no snacking) and stopping eating when I was no longer hungry. This led me to under eating and dropping to much weight,so I had to readjust to eating pay the "no longer hungry" point but not so much that I'd overeat and get bloated or feel sick.
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherW View Post
                  Yes, I often eat until I feel overfull / sick. That's what I'm trying to stop. I chalk it up to years and years of overeating and using food as a drug. I'm trying to learn to see food as fuel, as medicine - not as something to be used to make me feel better after a bad day.

........ I think I'll start by taking less on my plate. That's probably a good place to start.
                  Ok. Yes I guess you'll need to re-learn when to stop.
                  Lessen the stresses in life/work if possible.

Less food on the plate is a good start.
                  Try a walk after dinner.
                  Goodluck.

Comment

Working...
                  X