Who here steams veggies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here steams veggies?

I'm thinking about starting to steam veggies, fish, etc. because it seems like when I bake them or saute them in fat they absorb so much and it requires a lot of fat to cook them to begin with. I feel like I'd rather add the fat at the end, so I can measure it out since my weightloss has stalled. Does this make sense? Thanks!

Yes ,
    Steaming veggies is number 1 for me! Preferred choice never really steamed fish or poultry before

Comment

I simply like steamed veggies and soups, so we often have it that way. I do roast veggies as well. Sometimes I do add drippings after steaming. But normally, we are happy with steamed. To be honest, the fattier the cut of meat is, the more reluctant I am to add fat to the side.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I steam veggies every single day. It's the easiest way to cook them. However, some veggies don't come out very well steamed so those I will stir-fry instead.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I hate my vegetables drenched in fat, I just like 'em salty. I always steam my vegetables I have in a meal; asparagus, broccoli, green beans, peas, everything. Sometimes I like them raw, but never cooked in butter or oil. That's for the meat.

Comment

We usually steam vegetables like broccoli. And boil potatoes/rice. Adding butter and salt at the table is fine.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I steam broccoli, cabbage and potatoes mostly then just add some ghee to them. Grilled mushrooms, zucchini and summer squash are really good and easy to make, too. You only brush them with a little bit of fat.

Comment

I have a pot that a couple of steamer racks stack in. I have a little spaghetti pot with a drop-in rack. I have a larger spaghetti pot that has a deeper rack as well as a shallow one. And a bunch of different steaming racks that can be set into any pan. I also have a chinese restaurant steamer that I could probably steam 2 turkeys and 12 chickens in at the same time. (I got carried away on that purchase.)

I steam potatoes, sweet potatoes, any green vegetables, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, cabbage, garlic... Just about any vegetable.

Comment

Yep, we steam for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    I have a pot that a couple of steamer racks stack in. I have a little spaghetti pot with a drop-in rack. I have a larger spaghetti pot that has a deeper rack as well as a shallow one. And a bunch of different steaming racks that can be set into any pan. I also have a chinese restaurant steamer that I could probably steam 2 turkeys and 12 chickens in at the same time. (I got carried away on that purchase.)

I steam potatoes, sweet potatoes, any green vegetables, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, cabbage, garlic... Just about any vegetable.
                    Ummm, yeah, I am jealous of the restaurant steamer!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pollo_la View Post
                      Ummm, yeah, I am jealous of the restaurant steamer!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
                      Here you go:

Comment

I generally roast, grill or sauté veggies. The only exception is white potatoes for mashing. For those, I like steaming better than boiling or roasting. I am pretty aggressive about seeing how little fat I can get away with though. I'm not sure I would end up with less adding it after the fact.

Still, I wouldn't say don't give it a shot. It's important to do what works for you.
                        50yo, 5'3"
                        SW-195
                        CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                        GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Sometimes I sauté my veggies along with my ground meats or cook them directly in an omelette that I'm making so that I do not have to add fat to cook my veggies.

I've poached fish which is a method kind of like, but a bit more involved than, steaming. You kind of make a pseudo-broth (wine and spices and veggies and the like) that you cook the fish in. Then when you serve the fish, leave it in the bowl so that people can spoon it on their fish. The "broth" will absorb a lot of the fish oils so it tastes awesome as well. You don't have to add any fat to produce a beautifully poached fish.

Try this recepie for a wonderful poach broth:

1/2 cup of dry white wine
                          1/2 cup water
                          1 onion cut into rings
                          Dill
                          Tarragon

And whatever veggies you are cooking that night? Cook them along with the broth in the last few minutes before serving.
                          Last edited by Drumroll; 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I often steam my veggies, particularly broccoli, but virtually all veggies can be good steamed.
                            High Weight: 225
                            Weight at start of Primal: 189
                            Current Weight: 174
                            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Oh, and I ferment my veggies too. Many easy fermentation recipes exist out there in the Internet. Gives them a nice tang, and you get your probiotics to boot! You do not even have to cook them so obviously, if you don't, no added fat.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X