Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is coconut oil more preferred to cook with than Lard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is coconut oil more preferred to cook with than Lard?

Especially since coconut oil is a processed cooking oil while lard isn't?

processed past participle, past tense of proc·ess (Verb)past participle, past tense of pro·cess (Verb)
    Verb
    Perform a series of mechanical or chemical operations on (something) in order to change or preserve it: "the stages in processing the wool".

Preferred by who? I would prefer tallow, but lard would be fine. Also butter rocks!

Comment

Preferred by most really, everyone seems to be coconutz

Comment

it is higher in sat fat

but really i just grab whichever is closer (lard, tallow, or coconut)

Comment

I don't like coconut oil; I use pork fat (lard) for most of my cooking, with beef fat next favourite and also butter.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
            I don't like coconut oil; I use pork fat (lard) for most of my cooking, with beef fat next favourite and also butter.

Bought some coconut oil previously and didn't like the taste but had it with bacon and egs so the whole lot might have just put me off being so greasy, so threw it away.

So thought i buy some tomorrow again give it another try but...Hmmm

Comment

There are many people who claim it has amazing health benefits. I personally don't really care for the flavor. I do use it some in baking, but usually use half coconut oil, and half butter. If I'm going to sauté vegetables or something like that, I always use butter though.

Comment

Coconut oil is a special kind of saturated fat, a medium chain triglyceride. It supposedly has special properties in the body as well as special cooking properties. There is nothing wrong with lard except that it is really difficult to find pork lard that is not partially hydrogenated.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

My mother used to buy hydrogenated lard to use in baking. Ick, but I grew up on the taste. I reuse fat which is leftover from cooking projects.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Coconut oil is a special kind of saturated fat, a medium chain triglyceride. It supposedly has special properties in the body as well as special cooking properties. There is nothing wrong with lard except that it is really difficult to find pork lard that is not partially hydrogenated.
                    why not buy some lard from the butcher and just melt it?

Comment

I use butter, lard, tallow, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, and very occasionally bacon fat (because I only very occasionally eat bacon). Each is damn near perfect with a given food - greens and bacon fat, eggs and butter, avocado oil for mayonnaise, etc. Coconut oil, aside from the almost pure energy of the MCTs is mild enough that it's a pretty good all purpose cooking fat - it also comes in handy for coffee if I run out of my favorite coffee whitener(s). I think if I put lard in my coffee, it would ruin the experience.

As to processed, it's been said before, but unless you're chomping meat or fat right off of the animal, pretty much everything is processed since butchering is a mechanical process.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

When I want to gain some weight I add oils to my foods, and it works well every time...
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Here's an informative blog that discusses the advantages of coconut oil, in depth:
                          Coconut Oil
                          Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
                          Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
                          Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Preferred by who? I would prefer tallow, but lard would be fine. Also butter rocks!
                            Tallow is my new favorite. (Only recently discovered.) Can't believe that I've lived without it all my life.

My journal

Comment

Lard is pretty dang good compared to most cooking oils and the like. It's not the worst choice out there. I wouldn't worry too much.

But from a technical standpoint, coconut oil has a higher percentage of saturated fats in it than lard (by far) which overall makes it a far more stable cooking fat that is less prone to oxidizing and/or going rancid at higher temperatures. Lard has a much higher percentage of Omega-6s fats which most people get plenty of anyway, and these are quite prone to oxidizing at higher heats.

And frankly, lard is still processed since you have to "render" it from the pig in some way. Fats are ONLY not processed if they are still attached to the animal's flesh.
                              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                              X