Alternatives to "regular" sugar...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to "regular" sugar...

Okay, I do enjoy some baking with coconut flour and tapioca flour (and even the occasional almond meal). I have a couple of recipes that I really enjoy and I'm looking for the best "sugar" to sweeten them with. I have been using honey quite a bit, and some maple syrup. I occasionally use brown sugar. I stay away from white sugar. Now I am intrigued by coconut sugar!! I haven't used it yet. It seems that this may be the "best" sugar substitute yet?!?! It's lower on the glycemic index, and has minerals and such. So, is it the "best" option? What is your take on all these substitute sugars. Yes, really they should all be used in moderation. In our house these alternative breads/muffins do come about fairly frequently though... we have a lot of little ones living here who can handle more carbs. So, does it really matter? Also, I have stayed away from Stevia. Something just doesn't sit right with me... I feel like I would somehow be trying to "trick" my body by using it. What's your take on Stevia?

Does regular sugar upset your system or trigger you?

Comment

Date sugar actually has the best nutritional profile.
      Depression Lies

Comment

This is interesting (and thorough!) The Science and Art of Paleofying

Comment

I used glucose (dextrose) when cooking at home. The reason is that sucrose is composed of one molecule and fructose and one molecule of glucose, and I believe that fructose consumption should be limited. So I prefer to get my fructose from fruit. Using glucose instead of regular sugar (sucrose) is a good way to reduce fructose consumption.

My journal

Comment

Coconut sugar or coconut nectar is a good idea.
            My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
            Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              Does regular sugar upset your system or trigger you?
              Nope, doesn't seem to be a problem for any of us. It just seems too processed and doesn't have "any" nutritional value that I see. At least with honey, you can get the benefit of allergy relief and such. We are all at a good weight (except maybe hubby could lose another 15-20 lbs, but he has lost a few lbs since we changed most of our eating to primal). I don't think bs spikes are really an issue either. I took the gestational diabetes 1 hour test 3 months ago (when I was pregnant) and after drinking a HUGE amount of that nasty sugar crap, my blood sugar was only 96 an hour later... I think anything that was under 125 was considered passing, so I was definitely way under that.

Hummmm, maybe I need to look into date sugar!!

Comment

why you against Pure leaf liquid Stevia? not the powdered version.

Never tried it myself but lot seem to recommend it

Comment

Originally posted by sting View Post
                  why you against Pure leaf liquid Stevia? not the powdered version.

Never tried it myself but lot seem to recommend it
                  I'm not sure... for some reason the fact that is it "zero calorie" just turns me off. I somehow equate it with NutraSweet, aspartame, and the like... I somehow feel like if it's "zero calorie" that is can't be good. Honestly, I haven't looked into it much. Any info people can share on Stevia would be great though. I'd love to know more about it.

Comment

The thing with using honey or maple syrup is it adds moisture to the recipe. Sometimes that will throw the recipe off. And artificial sweeteners can also cause changes to the recipe as there may either be added moisture or not enough added mass.

After visiting my sister and her children over the weekend I have a huge appreciation for people who paleo-bake. Watching those rug rats demand "kid food" and getting garbage in return ("Mom, don't burn the tostino's this time. When you do that the meat melts away.") was shocking. I mean the meat melts away? It's not meat if it melts away. I'd feed my kids paleo cookies and muffins all day long if that's what it took to keep them away from crap like that. Even with real cane sugar.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      The thing with using honey or maple syrup is it adds moisture to the recipe. Sometimes that will throw the recipe off. And artificial sweeteners can also cause changes to the recipe as there may either be added moisture or not enough added mass.

After visiting my sister and her children over the weekend I have a huge appreciation for people who paleo-bake. Watching those rug rats demand "kid food" and getting garbage in return ("Mom, don't burn the tostino's this time. When you do that the meat melts away.") was shocking. I mean the meat melts away? It's not meat if it melts away. I'd feed my kids paleo cookies and muffins all day long if that's what it took to keep them away from crap like that. Even with real cane sugar.
                      Yikes!! My kids actually eat "well." :-) We usually have some kind of beef or pork roast for dinner with some steamed veggies with butter. Also, some kind of fruit. They all pig out of all of it (ranging from a 1 year old to an 8 year old). For lunch we might have something like bun less burgers with tomato slices, lettuce, and onions. Again, served with come kind of fruit. They all eat. If they need a snack it's fruit or a cheese stick. It's breakfast that we do a lot of the baked goods. They are okay with eggs, but not "egg dishes" and not everyday. Plus, I feel that since, other than fruit, most of our lunch and dinner is pretty low carb, that they can and probably should get some more carbs in their diet somewhere. We do eat some potatoes and rice as well with our meals, but not a lot.

Comment

Yeah, so paleo baking for your kids is a real treat while for my sister's kids it would be the only real food they'd ever have. No matter how your kids normally eat, I have respect for paleo baking for them.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I think if it's a treat once in a while, it doesn't matter. And if the floodgates were opened because of the belief that "natural sugar is okay", that person would be worse off. Look at all those people buying and cooking with agave now.

Comment

Originally posted by pollo_la View Post
                            I'm not sure... for some reason the fact that is it "zero calorie" just turns me off. I somehow equate it with NutraSweet, aspartame, and the like... I somehow feel like if it's "zero calorie" that is can't be good. Honestly, I haven't looked into it much. Any info people can share on Stevia would be great though. I'd love to know more about it.
                            Read this online
                            I stay away from ALL artificial sweeteners and use a natural one. That is "stevia". NOT the commercial products (with fillers) falsely called "stevia", nor the chemical product invented by Cargill corporation which I believe is called "rebiana". (They chemically modified stevia extract removing many substances and concentrating others.) Rather, just pure stevia which is a simple water extract of a leaf.

Nothing "artificial" about it and it is ZERO carb and ZERO calorie. Furthermore, there are tests indicating that it HELPS glucose metabolism, lowers BG and quite possibly contributes to beta cell regeneration. Thus, I highly doubt if any of the theories about "sweet taste" effects apply to pure stevia.

Naturally, since a leaf from a plant or its simple extract can't be patented, the mega-corps had to come and mess everything up. Stevia extract has been used in South America for centuries (both as a food and a medicine) and by 10s of millions of people in Japan for over 30 years without a SINGLE indication of any negative health impacts.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

OMG, Tostino's--I used to LOVE that stuff. Both the pizza and the pizza roles. Disgustingly, I still think that Tostino's pizzas are the BEST. I think it's the fennel seeds. This reminds me to add fennel seeds to my topping the next time I make primal pizza to see if I can reproduce the Tostino's taste.

And I totally know what your nephews/nieces are talking about. The meat doesn't so much melt away as form a congealed and hardened mass with the rest of the stuff that's in there (cheese food and tomato sauce). Once it forms a congealed mass, you can no longer detect the meat so it's as if it has melted away. Definitely not real food. But I wonder what they put in the crap food that makes it so good and addictive!

I don't have kids, but I do paleo-bake for myself. I love it. Some people don't approve of it, but I just don't see the point of living an ascetic lifestyle where I have to give up all baked goods. Might as well also practice self-flagellation then.

My journal

Comment

Working...
                              X