Cravings for raw ground meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cravings for raw ground meat

Ever since I was a little girl I've been eating raw ground beef and bison. If I'm cooking it, I just can't resist sneaking a bit of the raw stuff. I likely could eat an entire plate of the stuff. Perhaps I was French in my last life! Anyone else have experience with this?

Steak tartare, German mett brot with onions... Yep I'm with you

Comment

Love it too. I've always eaten bits out of the hamburger or meatloaf mix. And tartare is amazing!

Comment

I see no problem with it as long as you know the meat is safe. Steak tartare is a great way to eat raw mince but I am sure there are other ways of preparing it.

Comment

Very interesting craving... I'd be concerned about the safety of eating raw meat.

Comment

Yup, I get it on occasion too. I prefer raw venison, with lots of spices. Mmm... delish! Even better with home-made mayo.

Comment

I love the smell of raw beef, but have never actually eaten it.

Kibbeh is raw lamb with spices - i think it's Lebanese in origin.

Comment

As long is it is grass fed beef that was properly stored and you ground it yourself, it shouldn't make you sick in theory.
                My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
                Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

I grew up snacking on ground beef when it was hamburger night - my Mom wasn't afraid of that. Now, as an adult, I eat sashimi, Mett, steak tartare, etc, but most of the time we just cut slices off of the beef roast/steak and tap a corner into some seasoned salt as a snack before cooking. I even let my kids ask for a whole steak for the express purpose of eating the whole thing raw, and most of the rest of the family more than eagerly joins in.

My two cents - if you (as in "if one is", not you specifically) are afraid of your food, as in raw beef will kill you, then buy better quality food. That steak we like to eat raw comes from a small shop that procures all of its meat from one local butcher of our acquaintance, and he knows it came from one single animal raised locally, because that butcher killed it himself. We asked. That is why we adore the stuff so - you can taste the quality starting at raw.
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Shoot! Now I want some steak tartar!

Funny experience. I was in Hamburg, Germany, having lunch, and saw steak tartar on the menu. Naturally, I jumped all over it. The server was very concerned that as an American, I might not understand that it was RAW. I told her that's why I wanted it!

Comment

I have a restaurant just down the street from my new house that sells kangaroo tartare. I am fast becoming their best customer.

The theory on food safety I have read is
                      1)buy good quality to begin with
                      2)Freeze it really solid for a minimum of two weeks (This should kill off any parasites)

On the Dirty Carnivore site there is an entire sub forum all about raw meat. Lots of good info from people who eat it all the time without dying.

Comment

I've done it, but don't crave it. My Dad always, when using burger, would roll up a small ball of raw burger, salt it, and pop it in his mouth. About the only meat I habitually eat raw is fish, though, as sashimi.
                        High Weight: 225
                        Weight at start of Primal: 189
                        Current Weight: 174
                        Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          I have a restaurant just down the street from my new house that sells kangaroo tartare. I am fast becoming their best customer.

The theory on food safety I have read is
                          1)buy good quality to begin with
                          2)Freeze it really solid for a minimum of two weeks (This should kill off any parasites)

On the Dirty Carnivore site there is an entire sub forum all about raw meat. Lots of good info from people who eat it all the time without dying.
                          I've actually met a guy who had an entire DIET out of ONLY raw organ meats. No muscle meat at all, no veggies, no spices or oils or anything else, just straight, uncooked, raw animal organs.

He tried to sell a bunch of people we were with that it is the "only" way to eat.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I can definitely eat raw ground beef with salt and spices. Not gonna have an entire meal out of it, but I really like to have a bite or two while preparing something with it.

Comment

My family used to serve raw beef open faced sandwhiches - ground round, raw onion, some type of strong stinky cheese and a slice of rye bread. But the beef came from our own cows.

I don't think I could bring myself to eat raw ground beef unless I bought the roast from a good quality place and then ground it myself. I am not opposed to raw food, but raw ground beef is a bit on the scary side as far as pathogens go. I do love steak tartare and sashimi though.
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X