Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading "Wheat Belly" - Only MODERN wheat is bad for us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the "we're not birds" part. Want to go real paleo?

Drop monogamy, how is that?

Birds are monogamous, we are not.

;-)

Comment

It was just a thought, if I'd ever want a burger once in two weeks, it better be from none GM wheat, that's all.
      Chaco will probably suggest the masa harina for you as the best alternative. I am Nordic, so my suggestion is still artisan quality rye. On the other hand, you also always have an option of portabello cups or lettuce wraps, the 'true' paleo ways or the naked burgers. I grew up where burgers were called kotletas, and were served with a side of potatoes, salad, rice etc and eaten with a fork. The bun was a cultural shock!

kotleta.jpg
      Last edited by Leida; 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

My partner loves bread, and loves sharing it, so under sufferance I have about one slice per day. I mitigate this by having it cut super thin (less than 5mm) and insisting it be artisan French sourdough, either 100% rye or 100% spelt. I'm not gluten intolerant at all and do well on higher carbs than many on here but I am pretty sure that if I cut it out I'd be that bit thinner and healthier. And compared with egg, venison, mackerel, blueberries, buttered broccoli or asparagus, it is not even that delicious!

Comment

Honestly I have no burger craving at the moment but I can see it coming at SOME point.

Comment

The best way to deal with a temptation is to succumb to it. But do try it naked, and think about it as exotic wild Mongol way, lol.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidil View Post
              I like the "we're not birds" part. Want to go real paleo?

Drop monogamy, how is that?

Birds are monogamous, we are not.

;-)
              I would love to. I don't think monogamy is natural for humans. It was invented by a male-dominated society, in which females were perceived as property belonging first to their fathers and then to their husbands.

My journal

Comment

Davidil, everything is on a continuum from best-to-worst, and what makes it harder is that, as we are all individuals with our individual health quirks, even drawing such a continuum will be a very personal matter.

Example - I have a celiac daughter, so having a wheat/gluten-continuum at all is not possible for her.
                Me - I don't seem to react in any noticeable way to wheat gluten (it is more the carb load that gets me), so I can sort shades of gray in modern hybrid wheat, ancient wheat, whole grain wheat, milled wheat (white/highly processed), sprouted wheat, no wheat no excuses, etc. But that isn't really the point of Primal/Paleo.

In the end, it is up to you. But since you asked us - I am a stickler for definitions, and if you self-identify as Paleo or Primal, at some point, the grains just gotta go. And if you are wondering why, you haven't really done your Primal/Paleo reading yet.

I get the question, as I wondered that myself at the beginning of reading Wheat Belly, as I was already familiar with the ancient strains. But Primal ancient wheat is simply an oxymoron, according to me.
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

What if you'd eat it and wouldn't gain a pound and would feel great? There is a lot of talk in the book about evidence of people eating bread for thousands of years. I hate bread, every time I touch it I feel sick, but what if it's all because it's GM?
                  Technically, it's not GM, it's brute force hybridization. :P Which is arguably worse than GM because it's like using a hammer instead of a scalpel. I believe he pointed that out in the Wheat Belly book.
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Jesus man you need to relax.

I just started the two books today but I've been off carbs for 6 weeks and feel great.

It was just a thought, if I'd ever want a burger once in two weeks, it better be from none GM wheat, that's all.
                    Perhaps you need to not make recommendations based on invalid conclusions that may make someone sick.

I do crave burgers, and when I do, I grind meat and make them. Nice, big, juicy burgers. I don't crave rolls, though.
                    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-14-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X