No announcement yet.

Anyone suffering from digestive issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A doctor of naturopathic medicine is different that a naturopath. A ND can practice as a doctor in certain states and also prescribe medicine. I have no college degree yet, I am currently getting a Bachelors in Biology. I eventually want to go to PA school if I can. I naturopath in N.C. is someone who consults people in ways of nutrition.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

Thanks for your PM's hopefully some of your suggestions will help. Interesting re Naturopathic Drs, I didn't know that, but apparently mine is an ND RAc, 4 years, plus 3 years Masters in Chinese medicine, and does prescribe my thyroid meds.
      Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
      Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
      Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I posted in the other forum about this....but I've been suffering from normal to sluggish movements during the week and then having something like diarrhea at the weekend. It leaves me feeling nauseous and sluggish and gives me massive cravings for all sorts of food, plus low mood, for a few days until it evens out. I've suffered IBS for years but it used to be -C, now it's more like -D (the primal diet helped to sort the -C out).
        I currently take magnesium chelate at night, a probiotic supplement. I've been drinking kombucha and water kefir a couple of times a day too. Any ideas what might cause the extremes and the nausea/cravings? Thanks

Comment

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

IBS symptoms are constipation, diarrhea, alternation of both constipation and diarrhea, rosacea, bloating, gas, and abdominal pain. The main causes of IBS are either SIBO, yeast overgrowth, mass consumption of GMO’s, stress,or hypothyroid/adrenal fatigue. Since IBS is practically leaky gut syndrome combined with SIBO, it can easily manifest itself as different diseases. Celiac disease, fructose and lactose intolerance, inflammatory bowel diseases and bile acid malabsorption (follow gallbladder protocol if this is one of the symptoms) can all develop from IBS.

There is some evidence that IBS can be caused by diagnosed as a yet unknown bacterial, protozoan or parasite infection. I would also suggest getting a comprehensive stool analysis and parasite test from your doctor if you have IBS. I would also suggest getting an allergy test, SIBO test, and gallbladder function test to rule out these other causes or symptoms of IBS.
          If you follow my protocols for SIBO and yeast it should help most patients with a reduction of their IBS symptoms. But I will give some basic protocols here for stress reduction, as well as a basic IBS protocols.

<Rosacea has been linked to both SIBO and IBS as a symptom in some scientific studies>

Herbal IBS Treatment

Iberogast – Follow Supplement Instructions
          Life Extension Bio Curcumin – Follow Instructions on Bottle
          George’s Always Active Aloe Vera – Follow Instructions on Bottle

If Patient Is Constipated:

Chia Seeds – Follow Recommended Instructions
          Uni-Fiber – Follow Recommended Instructions
          Cayenne Pepper Protocol
          Stay Hydrated
          Rarely: Gaia Natural Laxative Tea: Follow Recommended Instructions

If Patient Has Diarrhea:

Activated Charcoal – Follow Supplement Bottle Instructions
          Uni-Fiber – Follow Recommended Instructions
          Rainforest Pharmacy Sangre De Drago – Follow Supplement Instructions

<Iberogast can also be used to help with IBS. It is a collection of herbs that can help with IBS. I believe that it is the peppermint oil, licorice and milk thistle which help the most in the tincture. The peppermint oil kills opportunistic bacteria, the licorice is an anti inflammatory and the milk thistle cleans the liver. If you decide to supplement with it follow the bottle instructions.
          Aloe vera can soothe and protect the stomach and digestive tract.
          Bio-Curcumin is used for bowel regularity.
          The Laxative Tea has senna which is known as a stimulate laxative.
          The Sange De Drago has been clinically proven to help stop diarrhea.
          The activated charcoal is used to bulk up the stools and to limit diarrhea.>

Stress / Adrenal Health Protocol

These protocols will help reduce stress and adrenal fatigue in the body. This can be one of the causes of IBS because stress can cause the colon to spasm frequently. Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night and try to be in bed before 10 p.m.

Male

2,000 mg Ester C – 2x A Day
          1 Thorne Research B complex #5 – Daily
          400 mg Magnesium Glycinate – Before Bed
          Glass of Warm Water and 1/8 tsp. Sea Salt in it Upon Waking

Choose One of The Three Herbs:

Life Extension Ashwagandha Extract (Or Any Other Ashwagandha that is the Sensoril Extract) Follow Bottle Instructions
          Gaia Herbs Holy Basil – Follow Bottle Instructions – Must take with a meal can lower blood sugar!
          Rhodiola Extract – Follow Bottle Instructions

<The Vitamin C and B5 are to increase adrenal function and hormones.
          The Magnesium Glycinate is to relax the body at night.
          The herbs are to lower cortisol and to increase adrenal function.
          The salt water is to regulate aldosterone levels upon waking to help the adrenal glands.>

Female

2,000 mg Ester C – 2x A Day
          1 Thorne Research B complex #5 – Daily
          Glass of Warm Water and 1/8 tsp. Sea Salt in it Upon Waking
          Source Naturals Relora Complex – Follow Bottle Instructions

<In females the magnolia bark in Relora is generally recommended as the herb to use. This is because there are specific studies that say it can promote the regulation of adrenal hormones in women. If a woman is allergic to Relora she can use any of the herbs recommended for men.>

Constipation

Constipation causes multiple problems in the body and can manifest itself in different ways. Constipation can cause toxins to build up in the body from a lack of transit time in the body. The body tends to reabsorb toxins from slow moving waste in the colon. Slow moving waste also ferments longer and causes a greater growth of good and bad bacteria, as well as producing more gas which can cause heartburn by causing slow gastric emptying and pressure and bloating in the abdomen.

The main causes of constipation are lack of magnesium, dehydration, lack of vegetable and fruit fiber, prescription drugs that cause constipation (opiates are a prime example), hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue, and lack of exercise.

General Constipation Protocol

600 mg Magnesium Citrate - Daily
          Stay Hydrated - Drink Clean Water - But 1/4 tsp of good quality sea salt or real salt in a glass of water once a day.
          Walk for at least 30 minutes a Day
          Drink 1 tsp. of Chia Seeds soaked in water for at least 30 minutes for the fiber.
          Uni-Fiber – One Tablespoon up to 3 times daily
          Eat two bananas daily.
          Follow Stress and Adrenal Protocol
          3,000 mg of Ester C - Daily
          Use a Squatty Potty when you defecate to retrain your body to squat when you use the toilet.

< Magnesium and Vitamin C are osmotic laxatives make sure you drink water so you don't become dehydrated>

Basic IBS Protocol for Constipation

600 mg Magnesium Citrate – 300 mg Twice a Day during Meals.
          Enzymedica Digestive Enzyme Gold – 1 to 2 Capsules with Every Meal
          Bulletproof or Primal Diet
          6,000 – 8,000 Mg L-Glutamine – Daily

Average Probiotic Protocol

Life Extension Bio Curcumin – Follow Instructions on Bottle

N-Acetylglucosamine – Follow Supplement Bottle
          Drink 1 tsp. of Chia Seeds soaked in water for at least 30 minutes for the fiber.

Taken for 1 Month Only:

Nature’s Way Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil: 30 min – 1 hour before meals, 2x a day

PERFERRED: Interfase Plus - Follow Instructions Should be taken on Empty Stomach
          OR
          1,200 mg Jarrow NAC Sustain: Take 600 mg Twice a Day on Empty Stomach
          Jarrow Formulas Lactoferrin: Follow Supplement Instructions (I would suggest starting at around 125 mg, if not a strong herx reaction may happen)

<This protocol combines the SIBO protocol with the Constipation protocol to effectively help constipation and the symptoms of IBS, This protocol should be taken for at least 3 months and then tentatively afterwards if symptoms return.>

Diarrhea

Diarrhea is a medical condition where a patient has three or more loose bowel movements a day. The main medical issues that can develop when a patient has diarrhea are electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, and malabsorption of nutrients. About thirty percent of patients with IBS-D have bile acid malabsorption so supplementing with an ox bile supplement and following the gallbladder protocol might be beneficial for the patient.

Basic IBS Protocol for Diarrhea

Enzymedica Digestive Enzyme Gold – 1 – 2 Capsules with Every Meal
          Bulletproof or Primal Diet
          6,000 - 8,000 Mg L-Glutamine - Daily

Average Probiotic Protocol

N-Acetylglucosamine - Follow Supplement Bottle Instructions
          Activated Charcoal – Follow Supplement Bottle Instructions

Taken for 1 Month Only:

Nature’s Way Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil: 30 min – 1 hour before meals, 2x a day

PERFERRED: Interfase Plus - Follow Instructions Should be taken on Empty Stomach
          OR
          1,200 mg Jarrow NAC Sustain: Take 600 mg Twice a Day on Empty Stomach
          Jarrow Formulas Lactoferrin: Follow Supplement Instructions (I would suggest starting at around 125 mg, if not a strong herx reaction may happen)

If the diarrhea doesn’t stop in a week:

Rainforest Pharmacy Sangre De Drago – Follow Supplement Instructions

If Bile Acid Absorption Problem Exists In Patient:

Jarrow Formulas Bile Acid Factors Supplement – Follow Instructions
          Consider Gallbladder Protocol

<Curcumin can be used also as long as it doesn’t cause bowel upset and diarrhea.
          The activated charcoal is used to bulk up the stools and to limit diarrhea.
          The Sange De Drago has been clinically proven to help stop diarrhea.
          This protocol should be taken for at least 3 months and then tentatively afterwards if symptoms return.>
          My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

www.fixyourgut.com

Comment

Try the Sangre De Drago. It might be SIBO related because of too many probiotics turning into opportunistic bacteria causing leaky gut. Any gas and bloating?

www.fixyourgut.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
              Are anyone on the forum suffering from digestive issues? I might be able to help if you let me know the problems you are having. Post questions on this thread and I will see what I can do to help.
              Any help for gastroparesis? I have delayed gastric emptying (tested twice:14% and 4% activity after an hour, versus normal range of 35-75%). Symptoms are vomiting multiple times a day without nausea. I also have autoimmune thyroid issues, and psoriasis.

Currently on the third week of autoimmune (AI) diet, following suggestions in Practical Paleo. This is the second time trying this protocol. The first time on the AI protocol gastroparesis symptoms disappeared completely. So both times no nuts, dairy or eggs. I've also cut out nightshades, but this second round, have had a little here and there by accident, such as in guacamole (jalapenos), tacos (chili powder), a bite of half cherry tomato at the farmer's market. Both times, I've had occasional fruit after a workout, e.g. clementines, guavas, apples, blueberries. This time I've also added dried coconut flakes, bananas and banana chips, and raisins, maybe once a week as a treat. Both times, I've chewed sugar-free gum, which seems to help my stomach.

While I'm mostly barf free this second time, I've occasionally had heartburn so bad, my back muscles start cramping. It feels like the aliens are burst out of my stomach through my spinal column (wrong way, you guys!).

Example menu from day with problems (Sunday)

B: Trader Joe banana chips (2 oz, weighed), 1/4 cup raisins, sprinkle of coconut flakes, 1/2 cup coconut milk (the boxed kind) - trying to make a paleo cereal from a post I read here on the forums

L: canned salmon sauteed with onions, and mustard

D: lamb chops seared in coconut oil, finished in oven; Greek salad - lettuce, olives, cucumber, capers in avocado dressing (avocado, lemon juice, cucumber)

Heartburn around 11pm. Relieved some pain by forcing myself to throw up. More effective was taking NOW superenzymes and a lot of water.

Yesterday (Monday) - No problems other than stomach still sore from Sunday

B: Leftover salmon, guacamole, 1/2 cucumber

L: leftover lamb chop, greek salad

D: stewed beef shanks, sweet potatoes

Comment

Last night I got my Ester C. Chia seeds, and Magnesium Citrate in the mail...I took my doses this morning and hope it helps with the constipation. I am day 4 since I last went and sure hope it helps but I know these things take time so I will be patient. I will keep you posted and truly hope this works.

Another update: I had a urine and blood test done this weekend and results show a moderate UTI and my BUN work was a little high. I go in Thursday for a scan of the gallbladder to make sure all is ok there. The Dr. office called yesterday and they were suppose to call me back after she saw my BUN work but I think they forgotaboutme because I never got a call or the prescription for the UTI.....so today I will make the call and see what happen.

My right rib area is still tender, back hurts when I inhale, and I am bloated in the belly area. I assume this is all related to the above. I am pushing water today and hope that soon this can all pass once I get an antibiotic.....I have been doing my best to eat healthy, not even a taste of sugar or gluten, in 6 weeks now.

Waiting on the Uni-fiber in the mail...

Comment

Dulcimina, have you read Chris Kresser's articles about GERD?
                  What Everybody Ought To Know (But Doesn’t) About Heartburn & GERD
                  There are multiple pages on this (link at the bottom of this article to the next section, and so on). Hydrochloric acid to raise stomach acidity may be of help to you.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Ron_Swanson, I am curious why you encourage the use of fiber for treating constipation. I know it is a fairly common conventional recommendation, but I have read a lot and found from my own experience that it can cause painful bowel movements and only adds bulk without actually helping with motility problems.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                      Dulcimina, have you read Chris Kresser's articles about GERD?
                      What Everybody Ought To Know (But Doesn’t) About Heartburn & GERD
                      There are multiple pages on this (link at the bottom of this article to the next section, and so on). Hydrochloric acid to raise stomach acidity may be of help to you.
                      Thanks for the link. The last one in that series of articles was a great reminder of some of the helpful things I used to do before that I'm not doing this go around:

Reduce factors that promote bacterial overgrowth/low stomach acid.
                      I've done the opposite by increasing fruits.

Replace stomach acid, enzymes and nutrients that aid digestion
                      I used to take apple cider vinegar, sauerkraut, make ginger and marshmallow root infusions, and take superenzymes with meals. I don't do that anymore.

Restore beneficial bacteria and healthy gut lining
                      I do still take probiotics, kombucha and fermented cod liver oil. But I also used to take L-glutamine, licorice root tisanes and bone broth to help restore gut lining.

I'll start with those three areas. Very easy to do, as I have everything on hand. Bone broth needs to be thawed, I have one batch of sauerkraut done, and only two bananas and a clementine left.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good glutamine product to take to heal the gut?

Comment

Are you looking for a particular brand? NOW has good products. I just go by price, to be honest. L-Glutamine in powder form is easiest to take in large doses. Just mix it into a beverage. It has a slightly salty taste.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by tinacristina View Post
                            Last night I got my Ester C. Chia seeds, and Magnesium Citrate in the mail...I took my doses this morning and hope it helps with the constipation. I am day 4 since I last went and sure hope it helps but I know these things take time so I will be patient. I will keep you posted and truly hope this works.

Waiting on the Uni-fiber in the mail...
                            OMG!! I went the bathroom and it's miracle but I pooped just now after 3 hours of taking the above. I don't know if it was the chia seeds, Ester C or Mag but I took my first doses this morning and without a laxative, or enema or senna tea or anything my body did it's thing and it was a big doozy too!! I got to brag..lol

Shoot I can't tell you how grateful I am but this blows my mind that your suggestions really helped me. I have struggled with chronic constipation all my life and nothing has worked so naturally as this and so fast without all the laxative hard core stuff too. So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The combination (without uni-fiber) worked...I will still take the Uni Fiber when I get it in the mail too. I am sure it will be good for me but all I care about is sharing my news and maybe it will also help someone else who has to deal with awful chronic constipation...I'm so freaking happy...

One thing that did happen was as I was pushing, my belly got really tight and hurt but that passed as soon I went. Like I said I had a "big one"...I was over due too and might of been why...worth the tight pressure to get it out...awww, I feel better though, my belly is even flatter, and again, thank you! I can take a deep breath and it feels so dang good.

I hope this continues because if it does....I will be normal and go like most of the world, like I should. Might even help me lose weight a little easier too...maybe!
                            Last edited by tinacristina; 06-18-2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

^C and Mag work really well for constipation. If you get diarrhea, just back off on the doses until the "consistency" is more comfortable. I hope those continue to work awesomely for you
                              Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
                                Try the Sangre De Drago. It might be SIBO related because of too many probiotics turning into opportunistic bacteria causing leaky gut. Any gas and bloating?
                                Thanks so much for all that info - really informative, and lots for me to look into. In reply to your question yes sometimes, better since going primal, but when I am having a bad bout of 'issues' I do get some gas/bloating, but only when unable to go properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X