Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna cheat on Sunday.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gonna cheat on Sunday.....

    Ok, so Sunday is Fathers Day, and my (soon to be) 24 y/o daughters birthday, and I am gonna have a 'cheatin' day nutritionally....probably some ice cream and cake and?????? I am a newbie here, not sure if I have actually hit 'ketosis', but have cut out all grains (knees feel great!) and really lowered my carbs, increased my activity and exercise (but primally!) and increased fat......any thoughts? What to expect? Should I just have fun, not worry, and resume my primal journey on Monday? Maybe I'm looking for validation and support for my cheating day?!?!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

    M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170

    Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

  • #2
    I think ”cheating" is lame. Who exactly are you "cheating?"

    I think making a food plan that is realistic and enjoyable for you is a great idea. I have no idea if the cake and such Sunday fits into a good food plan for you. One thing I can say from my experience is a good question to ask is whether it will derail you from your standard plan? What can you do to make sure that won't happen? Don't do it unless you are sure it will WORK for you as a plan, meaning for one thing that you will easily be able to return to your standard plan.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
      I think ”cheating" is lame. Who exactly are you "cheating?"

      I think making a food plan that is realistic and enjoyable for you is a great idea. I have no idea if the cake and such Sunday fits into a good food plan for you. One thing I can say from my experience is a good question to ask is whether it will derail you from your standard plan? What can you do to make sure that won't happen? Don't do it unless you are sure it will WORK for you as a plan, meaning for one thing that you will easily be able to return to your standard plan.
      Well, I was thinking of the 80/20 principle.....my 'cheating' on Sunday will not even come close to 20% 'bad' or non-primal.....I don't anticipate any problems returning to my standard plan.....thanks!
      The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

      M, 58, 6'0
      SW - 192
      CW - 180
      GW - 165-170

      Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

      Comment


      • #4
        If Mark called it "cheating" (it's been a while since I read the book) I'm willing to say it was lame of him to do too. :-)

        It's just an eating plan... No one made vows to their food, lol.

        Have a good weekend! I'm going to a fancy-shmancy dinner next week and have been looking forward to it for like a month.
        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
          If Mark called it "cheating" (it's been a while since I read the book) I'm willing to say it was lame of him to do too. :-)

          It's just an eating plan... No one made vows to their food, lol.

          Have a good weekend! I'm going to a fancy-shmancy dinner next week and have been looking forward to it for like a month.
          Naw, he didn't, 'cheating' was my word for it....enjoy your dinner!
          The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

          M, 58, 6'0
          SW - 192
          CW - 180
          GW - 165-170

          Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

          Comment


          • #6
            My guideline is the "gourmet exemption". If I feel like a sugar/wheat item was crafted with some artistry then I'll try a bite or two to sate my curiosity but I never do this when I'm alone or when my stomach is empty. At no point would I waste it on chain restaurant or Kraft/Nabisco/etc. stuff.
            37//6'3"/185

            My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
              Well, I was thinking of the 80/20 principle.....my 'cheating' on Sunday will not even come close to 20% 'bad' or non-primal.....I don't anticipate any problems returning to my standard plan.....thanks!
              Stop thinking of it as cheating...you're not getting away with anything. Eat what you want, and accept the consequences. You're accountable only to yourself. Maybe the emotional satisfaction of having cake and ice cream with your family will trump the follow up achy knees and churning gut.

              Eat 'on plan' consistently and habitually, and eat 'off plan' when the need or opportunity arises. That's what the 80/20 principle is about. My suggestion is that you eat *mindfully* at all times....be honest with yourself *why* you are choosing to eat the foods you do.

              Approaching a "yay! we get to eat cake!" event with the attitude that cake is 'forbidden' and eating it is 'cheating' takes away from the intent of the event. Over time, you may be able to separate the celebratory food from the celebration itself, and not feel like you celebrated any less by not eating the food. In the meantime, you can simply decide at the time if you're hungry and feel like eating it for whatever reason. But give yourself permission to indulge.
              Sandra
              *My obligatory intro

              There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

              DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                Stop thinking of it as cheating...you're not getting away with anything. Eat what you want, and accept the consequences. You're accountable only to yourself. Maybe the emotional satisfaction of having cake and ice cream with your family will trump the follow up achy knees and churning gut.

                Eat 'on plan' consistently and habitually, and eat 'off plan' when the need or opportunity arises. That's what the 80/20 principle is about. My suggestion is that you eat *mindfully* at all times....be honest with yourself *why* you are choosing to eat the foods you do.

                Approaching a "yay! we get to eat cake!" event with the attitude that cake is 'forbidden' and eating it is 'cheating' takes away from the intent of the event. Over time, you may be able to separate the celebratory food from the celebration itself, and not feel like you celebrated any less by not eating the food. In the meantime, you can simply decide at the time if you're hungry and feel like eating it for whatever reason. But give yourself permission to indulge.
                Wow! It seems my use of the word 'cheating' has evoked some passionate responses! Perhaps we're talking semantics here? That's OK, I am going to enjoy the hell out of it, and I will let you all know if I get achy knees the next day! Trying not to overthink the whole think, just gonna enjoy, and go with the flow!
                The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

                M, 58, 6'0
                SW - 192
                CW - 180
                GW - 165-170

                Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks to everyone who responded!
                  The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

                  M, 58, 6'0
                  SW - 192
                  CW - 180
                  GW - 165-170

                  Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                    Thanks to everyone who responded!
                    I'm willing to bet you'll feel terrible enough after eating that junk that you won't do it again for a long time. Self-reinforcing 80/20 rule. Don't get too addled by those that get their knickers in a knot about the word "cheat." They've been conditioned by Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig to ascribe a huge significance to it, but that's not how I read your post.
                    The Champagne of Beards

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I had a small piece of cake today (as it is my birthday!) from the co-workers

                      Been feeling pretty sick to my stomach ever since, funny how I don't notice anything when I eat gluten but something in highly processed foods really makes me feel it. Considering the ingredient list could have passed for a small novel, unsure of what that is

                      I limit "cheating" to times (like today) where I don't have an option.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        I'm willing to bet you'll feel terrible enough after eating that junk that you won't do it again for a long time. Self-reinforcing 80/20 rule. Don't get too addled by those that get their knickers in a knot about the word "cheat." They've been conditioned by Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig to ascribe a huge significance to it, but that's not how I read your post.
                        It's his daughter's birthday cake...give him a break.
                        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

                        "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Make yourself a low carb cheesecake or check out some low carb or keto cook blogs and they have some great recipes, you will feel like you are cheating when you are not. I feel horrible if I go back on carbs so I try and keep that in mind but I'm just nicely back on track after 2 weeks of a carbfest (or was it 3?) Do your best and Happy Fathers Day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                            It's his daughter's birthday cake...give him a break.
                            He's eliminated gluten and his joint pain has gone away. Chances are he will react worse than ever to the cake. This isn't bean mean on RichMahogany's part. It's a real possibility that he may be in pain for days.

                            Originally posted by Marcie View Post
                            Make yourself a low carb cheesecake or check out some low carb or keto cook blogs and they have some great recipes, you will feel like you are cheating when you are not. I feel horrible if I go back on carbs so I try and keep that in mind but I'm just nicely back on track after 2 weeks of a carbfest (or was it 3?) Do your best and Happy Fathers Day.
                            I recommend bringing a gluten-free cake. Then it's not even cheating, just an indulgence.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X