Insects vs. Grass Fed Beef

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insects vs. Grass Fed Beef

This youtube vid on PHD got me to wondering. Are bugs as healthy a source of meat as grass fed mammals? Are their any downsides from a primal point of view? Is there an equivalent problem between grass fed vs grain fed in the insect farming world? And where the heck can I buy waxworms or scorpions?

My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

There is a poster here named Diana Renata (doesn't post very often any more) and I know she grows her own mealworms and is quite the expert of all things related to bugs as food. Maybe shoot her a PM.

I've had deep fried caterpillars when I was in Africa and they were delicious.

Comment

Not quite sure which is better in nutrition, but I've heard that bugs are good protein source.
      As far as I know, there are still many cultures which still use bugs for food, and I think that people would eat bugs in paleolithic time because:
      - bugs are easy to catch than bigger animals
      - bugs can be actually quite delicious if cooked well
      - bugs can be easily grown than bigger animals or even plants

If you have a Korean grocery market near your place, you can buy a can of silkworm pupas from there.
      It look like this: *앤미로직스
      However, those cans usually contain soy sauce (that contains wheat) and MSG in there.

Comment

You'll find some of your answers here:
        U.N. Urges Eating Insects; 8 Popular Bugs to Try

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_S View Post
          You'll find some of your answers here:
          U.N. Urges Eating Insects; 8 Popular Bugs to Try
          Very interesting link, but they don't really do a "Mark's Daily Apple" type breakdown of the nutritional benefits/disadvantages, which is more what I am looking for. Minerals, breakdown of the fats, stuff like that. I'd also be curious as to the way they are farmed and if that has an effect on health. What are farmed insects fed? A natural diet or is there some kind of insect version of CAFO that renders the bugs less healthy their wild counterparts?

Paleobird, where in Africa did you get the fried catepillars? What do they taste like?
          My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

Mark doesn't compair 'em to beef, but he gives bugs a pretty solid thumbs up providing you know which ones are safe!

Edible Bugs | Mark's Daily Apple
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I've been eating one small unwashed salad (fresh clipped from my garden) everyday for a week or two now. I've "accidentally" eaten me a few bugs and a bit of dirt. Nothing that has stopped me from finishing the bowl so far though

Uh-oh.... just read yours drumroll. Not sure which are safe or even what that crunch and ooze was for sure! Will I live?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                I've been eating one small unwashed salad (fresh clipped from my garden) everyday for a week or two now. I've "accidentally" eaten me a few bugs and a bit of dirt. Nothing that has stopped me from finishing the bowl so far though

Uh-oh.... just read yours drumroll. Not sure which are safe or even what that crunch and ooze was for sure! Will I live?
                It's just that some bugs are deadly poisonous if eaten, a potential deterrent to would-be predictors like birds and spiders, ect. so you have to know which are which.

I bet you'll live though.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

yes, but if you can't get over the concept of eating the bug - there are some other alternatives.

Fish Protein Powder is now on the market - AminoMarine brand - it tastes good - great for daily shakes.

mix with 4oz almond milk, 2 oz water, 1/2 banana, tsp flax seed, kale, spinach and berries - truly delicious and Paleo

Comment

I've also tried caterpillar, in China, it was ok. At some stage while I was there I remember someone ordering 'water beetles' in a restaurant. It looked like a plate of 'roaches. There's no way....
                    Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

I ate deep fried dragonflies in china. I don't recommend it... The deep fried scorpion wasn't too bad tho! Maybe its about the preparation?

Does anyone here eat bugs regularly?

Comment

I eat around a pound of meat daily. I don't know if I can gag down a pound of insects.
                        F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

One of the entomological societies has an insect dinner at their annual scientific meeting. When DS was young, it was in D.C. one year and we almost went. We chickened out, lol.
                          50yo, 5'3"
                          SW-195
                          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

For me it's a case of the knowledge being useful in a pure survival scenario than something I would want to consume on a regular basis.

But yeah, I was watching Luke Nguyen's series in Laos and he met a woman who cooked red ant egg salad. The kids were happily scarfing down scores of red ants. Luke described the eggs as having a milky taste and explained that they needed to eat the ants and eggs for protein.
                            Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Working...
                            X