Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?perfect health diet?

My mother has been reading this;

Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life | Perfect Health Diet

She's asking lots of questions, but I haven't had time to read it yet! Have you read it? What do you think?

It appears to suggest an awful lot more carbohydrate that what I thought was healthy. However, I am aware that a lot of paleolithic cultures ingest a lot of cassava etc (eg Papua New Guineans tribesmen).

I have not read the book but printed out their high resolution apple and stuck it on my and my mother-in-law's fridge doors.
    I don't care too much about the theory behind since I can make informed guesses from various free sources and experimenting on myself.

Yes, they recommend quite some "safe starches" but look again at the apple shaped into a ying-yang. If you drew a vertical axis along the apple and choose a point on this axis, it would tell you how much in proportion you should eat starches-plant foods vs fat-meat-animal foods. Seen in this way, you can conclude that it leaves room for both types of extreme: high starch low animal food diets and high animal food and low starch diets.

Comment

I haven't read the book,but I have hear Jaminet (the author) on multiple interviews. His approach seems similar to Primal/Paleo. He's intelligent and has good ideas. I think that his ideas are totally compatible with "paleo" even if the carb ratios are different. Both are about eating "real" food.

Comment

I love PHD. It is basically primal but places a greater emphasis on reducing the amount of toxins you put in your body. Their blog is one of the best in the paleosphere and a must read.
        My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

I've read it too. It's an excellent book. Check out this review at Gnolls.org.

Comment

Somehow the carbohydrate guidelines became controversial even though they're in the 100~150g range which is less than half of SAD/USDA levels and no different than other paleo guides. The book walks you through their rationale for each food recommendation, I highly recommend it.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Yes, the PHD is a great alternative diet to the Primal Lifestyle. Increasing of carbs isn't always a bad thing if they are "safe" carbs. Remember if you are suffering from adrenal fatigue, a keto based diet might not be the best thing to your adrenals heal. I would say that the PHD is a adrenal fatigue friendly paleo diet that people can use until they heal then they can switch to a cyclic ketogenic diet to lose weight.
              My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
              Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

I recommended it to my mom, and she is thriving on it. I chose that over paleo, because my mom is forever biking, gardening or doing some other endless cardio outdoors activity. She was also initially pretty hungry, until she gradually increased tubers.

The apple diagram is great for my daughter, she loves it, and she was like 4 yo when I put it on the fridge (coming to 7 now!).

Personally, I do not try to adhere to any macros now, just eat lots of veggies, fruit and the best meats/fats I can get.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I have not read the book, but I've read in other people's posts about the book on this forum that the recommended macro ratio is roughly 1/3 carbs, 1/3 protein, and 1/3 fat. That is the macro ratio I strive for these days. Some days I end up with slightly more carbs; other days, slightly more fat. But I think it averages out to about 1/3 of each.

My journal

Comment

It's a good book. Mark wrote the forward or preface or something. There's a blog, too. I find the blog to be way too technical for me to enjoy reading it. I imagine the book is similar.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Excellent book. If I had only two in my library, it would be primal blueprint and PHD

Comment

Thanks everybody! I will definitely read it once semester is over!

Comment

I've read it and the blog. Too much starch for my personal taste and I don't completely agree with the authors premise on how "necessary" it is. Beyond that its actually a good read and remains a low carb approach in comparing to sad. I haven't read the new version, but the old version was about a 20-30% carb, 60% fat, and the rest protein. So lowish carb, high fat, and low to moderate protein. Thats another difference. Less protein. Probably not bad as a maintenance idea as when your eating enough calories it doesn't take as much protein to retain lean mass, but when your working to lose fat I'd say best to stick to the higher protein recommended by Primal

Comment

Meh.

Low carb causing a mucus deficiency?
                            Low carb causes scurvy?

Methinks the doctor protests too much.

He had problems with very low carb due to under-eating protein and found some hypothoses that worked for him. The science doesn't agree.

http://www.lucastafur.com/2011/03/ketomyths_08.html

http://www.lucastafur.com/2011/03/ketomyths-ii_17.html

I'll stick with the PB.
                            Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM.
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I've read the book and listened to a bunch of podcasts with Paul. I think the book is very good for anybody that wants to know the science behind nutrition. The chapter that talks about macro ratios for mammals and their milk is fascinating. Paul is pretty much against PUFAs -- especially Omega 6 -- also get get enough Omega 3 from natural sources and not too much. For this reason he is not a big fan of chicken or pork. He is also against multi-vitamins and has a pretty nice supplements recommendation list that I follow religiously.

I'm glad I got the Kindle version of the book, because I often refer back to certain sections.

I really don't think the diet is far off from Primal. There is no perfect diet, but I think the PHD is the closest thing to perfection for me. I get a bit of exercise and found that having safe carbs at dinner only works wonders for me -- I sleep better, have better workout recovery and even think that it helps me lose weight. I probably eat on the low end of PHD recommendations, and still don't feel comfortable with rice in my diet. I do sweet potatoes, white potatoes ans started playing with quinoa.

Comment

Working...
                              X