Eat when you're hungry.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by llyons View Post
    Oh sorry. I'm female. I'm trying lose weight. Under active thyroid condition but its maintained with meds. I guess I'm coming off a high carb diet because I just ate whatever I wanted.
    If you have an underactive thyroid condition, you should not do low carb, even if you're on meds. I repeat, do NOT eat low carb if you have an underactive thyroid.

My journal

Comment

I've only been doing this a week. When I'm hungry after I eat I do drink water first to make sure but that doesn't work. Its real hunger. I'm going to try smaller meals and adding some carbs and see how this goes. Thanks for all of the info.

I recommend BIGGER meals with more fat. And NO snacking.
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I do have to say that I did lose 6 lbs doing this.

Comment

try fasting for at least 16 hours for a week or two, that will teach you what hunger REALLY feels like.

and eat more vegetables with your meals, they will fill you up without the extra calories, not to mention a ton of other health benefits. My favorite "fillers" are kale, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower.

Comment

...for dinner: 2 skewers of beef and red bell pepper shish kabob, 1lb of Brussel sprouts, 1/2 lb of bacon and a handful of almonds. I was stuffed. An hour later I was starving again.
            I've only been doing this a week. When I'm hungry after I eat I do drink water first to make sure but that doesn't work. Its real hunger.
            You ate an enormous amount of food in one sitting. You were not "starving" an hour later. Starvation is something that people in a famine situation experience. That was not real hunger you were experiencing. It was probably caused by force of habit, or by overriding your body's signals by stuffing yourself.

Practice using your built-in hunger meter. On a scale of 0-10, where 0 is "haven't eaten in days and may faint at any time" and 10 is "so stuffed I feel nauseated", and 5 is "neither hungry nor full", find the number that best represents your hunger. At 4 you are just barely hungry and it's probably not worth preparing food (or going out hunting). At 5 you may stop, at 6 you should definitely stop. There is no reason to keep eating when you are full. Eat slowly, and slow down and check in frequently. Stop when you are at 5 or 6, before you are full, but definitely before you are stuffed.

Allow yourself to experience your hunger, not desperately try to eradicate it.

Comment

I know I wasn't really starving. I just could not figure out why after eating so much, I felt like I was hungry again. I used the word starving as a bit a exaggeration.

Comment

Personally I take great comfort in planning and find spontaneous eating kind of scary. I shop once a week and always know what's for dinner which puts a very different perspective on any brief belly rumbles (which are rare). In my past life I would respond with starvation panic and eat a box of macaroni or slip away to the convenience store because my "decent meal future" was a blank fog.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

In the past I have had certain nutrient deficiencies which seemed to cause insatiable hunger pangs. Might be worth looking into? Lack of magnesium for example classically causes chocolate cravings.

Comment

You just listed a lot of histamine and salicylate foods. Check out histamine and salicylate free diets.

Also, almonds make me hungry no matter how much I've had to eat. Try cutting out almonds for a few days and see if that helps.
                    Prodistat
                    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Comment

If I ate when hungry I'd eat all day long. If I think about it I can conjur up some hunger pretty much immediately at any time of the day or night. Just talking about this is making my peckish...So instead I need to plan ahead what a reasonable amount of food is for a day and stick to it. I need to tell myself that yes I may feel hungry, but that if I have only eaten an hour ago, my hunger signals are lying to me.

I actually found what this psychologist who deals with addiction had to say on the matter,
                      www.eatingless.com
                      The relevant articles are 'inuitive eating' parts 1-3.

I am pushing this at anyone who stands still long enough to listen - I have the zeal of the newly converted. But reading this woman's approaches to dealing with overeating was one of those eye-opening a-ha moments for me.

Comment

I think humans have instincts, like hunger and to feed. But our instincts are easily overridden by cultural influences. We are trained by our parents to ignore our hunger and eat what we are told to eat and how much we are told to eat, which is often far more than we would eat given the choice. I think this can be unlearned, but it is hardly automatic for many people.

Comment

For most people its a bad habit one gets used to, grazing and stuffing yourself, i have a friend who when we used to go out for dinner would get pissed of if i wanted to order a seafood platter meal, as he said it don't stuff him, i asked what? he said he feels its a waist of money spending big dollars at some fancy restaurant eating light meals "seafood" and walking away feeling unsatisfied, he preferred the feeling of stuffing himself feeling full.

When he comes over some days we would be watching a Football game and he would eat so much, than just unzip his belt and moan for the next 15 minutes rubbing his tummy lol - I mean this guy loves his food, i thought i like food but this guy takes it to a new level, i seen him once eat so much he had to run outside and puke, my friend is only satisfied when he is chock full to the TOP leaving just enought to breed.

He once told the chef who came out and asked us how was the meal, he sat there STUFFED and satisfied and replied something like "I'm ready for the electric chair dude" as in he would be satisfied if this had been his last supper that's how good the meal was to him basically a very filling meal.. lol

Comment

I think it varies. When I'm eating paleo/primal my appetite self-regulates. However, if I'm cheating and eating a bunch of carbs or processed foods or drinking alcohol, my appetite will get out of control fast.
                            High Weight: 225
                            Weight at start of Primal: 189
                            Current Weight: 174
                            Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I know I wasn't really starving. I just could not figure out why after eating so much, I felt like I was hungry again. I used the word starving as a bit a exaggeration.
                              Actually, your predicament is really common for a lot of people who switch over to a more paleo diet. It usually goes away after a while.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

You & I need to go out to eat, lol...... I eat a ton too!

Comment

Working...
                                X