How to deal with "non believers"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with "non believers"?

Okay sooo, im majoring in nutrition, going on to my second year and my friend graduated as a dietary tech. Well of course were taught about the "correct" form of nutrition and balanced diet and since doing my own personal research as well as seeing success stories and so on, I know that grains and legumes are not all that great foe you and aren't a necessity. A coworker of mine wanted to know how she could lose weight faster before a wedding and I told her that cutting those things out and processed foods would help her do so and well my tech. friend jumped down my throat telling me to NEVER tell anyone to cut out a major food group and saying I should know better from what i was taught.. sooo just wondering, how do you all deal with people like this?

Cursing, spitting, histrionics, threats of physical violence, raising my voice, hyperbole, and rhetorical questions.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Cursing, spitting, histrionics, threats of physical violence, raising my voice, hyperbole, and rhetorical questions.
      ^This. Or I make a note of it and when I hear her espousing the need for 'meatless Mondays' or meatless days in general smack her down with her own words.

If that fails I would smile and say something like, "Thank you <insert friends name>. You know I value your opinion as much as I value our friendship." Then let her wonder how much that is.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
        ^This. Or I make a note of it and when I hear her espousing the need for 'meatless Mondays' or meatless days in general smack her down with her own words.

If that fails I would smile and say something like, "Thank you <insert friends name>. You know I value your opinion as much as I value our friendship." Then let her wonder how much that is.
        These are two of the smartest guys I know.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

My first instinct is to kill and eat them but then I realize that they are all grain fed.

But other than that, I try to give them a direction to do their own research. Tell them to check out sites like this one, Weston Price foundation, etc. I know that Weston Price is not always primal but it is whole, non-process food based.

Oddly enough, I have more luck with older people than younger people. Older people, when asked, will still remember the days when obesity was rare, as was cancer and heart disease. I can then get them to make the connection, at least, to the lower incidents of these things and non-processed foods that were more common back then.

Younger people, say born late 60s, and on, are more difficult. They grew up with CW being crammed down their throats and are pretty well brainwashed.
          Randal
          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            You really should make an effort to get to know more people.

Comment

You could direct her to the "Before and After Pics" thread here.
              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
              Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
              Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
              F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

I don't deal with them, they deal with me.
                The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  How smart can I be? I forgot namecalling.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Kj94 View Post
                    friend jumped down my throat telling me to NEVER tell anyone to cut out a major food group and saying I should know better from what i was taught.
                    Does this friend of yours jump all over vegetarians, vegans, raw vegans, or fruitarians over the diets they have chosen that eliminate major food groups? Does your friend tell people who strive for a fat-free low-protein extra-high carb existence that they should not be giving up fat?

I would guess not. Then why the double standard when it comes to this diet?

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      You really should make an effort to get to know more people.
                      I would... but *sigh*, they're just so SERIOUS! It's a bit much really.

How smart can I be? I forgot namecalling.
                      Good lord man! Pay attention!
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Eh, I just shrug and let them do whatever they want with their lives. Works for me; screw everyone else.

If someone I care about asks how to lose weight/deal with sickness/etc I just say "don't eat grains and sugars" and leave it at that unless they ask for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          Does this friend of yours jump all over vegetarians, vegans, raw vegans, or fruitarians over the diets they have chosen that eliminate major food groups? Does your friend tell people who strive for a fat-free low-protein extra-high carb existence that they should not be giving up fat?

I would guess not. Then why the double standard when it comes to this diet?
                          Its because of what were being taught.. this was my first year and let me tell you NONE of my teachers, some of which are registered dieticians never preached against grains or legumes and said it is part of a balanced diet and that to lose weight get low fat foods, vegetable oils, and lean meats..and with vegetarians and vegans its considered "healthy" as long as supplements are taken.. personally I feel any diet where you have to take supplementary vitamins isn't healthy at all lol. But she's just spouting out what we were taught. I was fortunate enough to come across a whole foods sight that talked about the movie Fat Head and that peaked my curiosity and so now I'm here. What really troubles me is how we're supposed to be learning to help people and were hurting them instead :/.

Comment

I realize that. But it is possible to point out the disconnect in their logic to them—that they say no one should give up food groups while applauding people who do just that.

Comment

Very true.. I never thought about it like that

Comment

Working...
                              X