Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnesium Information and Extensive Protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by emaichbe03 View Post
    definitely appreciate your response, ron, but it still leaves me wondering why i'm having this sleep problem, and how glycinate would solve that.
    Glycine as an amino acid relaxes the body and mind, it is an inhibiting neurotransmitter as well.

    Glycine ingestion improves subjective sleep quality in human volunteers, correlating with polysomnographic changes - YAMADERA - 2007 - Sleep and Biological Rhythms - Wiley Online Library
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

    I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

    www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

    Comment


    • #77
      It should also be pointed out that gelatin is approx. 26% glycine......I have started supplementing with gelatin for a lot of reasons, but I have immediately noticed I am sleeping better! I have been taking 500mg Mag Citrate 3 times a day for constipation issues (Ron, you may remember me from earlier in this post) and it has kept me fairly regular with every other day bowel movements, and now the added gelatin has me having daily BM's, better sleep, and I think my osteoarthritis, which has already improved dramatically since going primal, is improving even more!
      The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

      M, 58, 6'0
      SW - 192
      CW - 180
      GW - 165-170

      Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Merritt View Post

        I have never even heard of R-Lipoic Acid, Ubiquinol, or NADH. I hope that my store will have them, though I kind of doubt it.. selection seems to be pretty limited unfortunately.
        Please be careful and do some reading about lipoic acid if you have any mercury dental amalgams or any history of mercury exposure. If not taken properly it can cause serious issues.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

        http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by jammies View Post
          Please be careful and do some reading about lipoic acid if you have any mercury dental amalgams or any history of mercury exposure. If not taken properly it can cause serious issues.
          Thank you

          I do make sure to do my own thorough research on everything before I jump in, but nice to have the warning too

          Comment


          • #80
            Great information!

            I have been taking magnesium citrate at night and have had diarrhea every morning, so today I am going to go and get some glycinate and take that at night. I will continue to take the citrate during the day though and see if it helps keep things regular.

            Perhaps I will pick up some malate to take in the morning for energy.
            44 F 5'5
            SW 205.4
            CW 180.4
            GW 150

            Comment


            • #81
              Can anyone advise and recommend a magnesium supplement for prostatitis? I suffer very badly from chronic pelvic floor tension and muscle spasms. Feels like I am permanently sitting on a tennis ball. It radiates around my perineum, buttons, tip of the penis, and bladder.

              I know there is no dysfunction with my prostate and no infection present. I am convinced it is a muscu

              I have been reading about the muscular benefits of magnesium but am unsure of which one to try

              Comment


              • #82
                I have a supplement that contains magnesium bisglycinate, is this as good as glycinate?

                Comment


                • #83
                  I hands down prefer Mag-Tab SR as my magnesium. I like the fact that if I space the 4 out throughout the day I've basically got a 24/7 trickle of magnesium entering my system. Get it direct from -> Welcome to Niche Pharmaceuticals, Inc. or it's on amazon and other crap but the manufacturer has the best prices, especially if you buy the huge tub.
                  -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
                    Different Forms of Magnesium
                    Magnesium Pidolate (Magnesium 5-Oxo Proline) - Absorption is DEFINITELY not worth the extra free glutamic acid. Too much free glutamic acid can be excitotoxic and neurotoxic. Can you say MSG? Taken with meals..
                    Source?

                    This one contradicts:

                    Inhibition of mouse-killing behaviour in magnesiu... [Magnes Res. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

                    Inhibition of mouse-killing behaviour in magnesium-deficient rats: effect of pharmacological doses of magnesium pidolate, magnesium aspartate, magnesium lactate, magnesium gluconate and magnesium chloride.
                    Bac P1, Pages N, Herrenknecht C, Teste JF.
                    Author information
                    Abstract

                    Magnesium deprivation induced interspecific aggressive behaviour (muricidal behaviour) in rats undoubtedly attributable to magnesium deficiency since magnesium chloride, by correcting magnesium deficiency, suppressed it. Inhibition of magnesium deficiency-induced behaviour by various magnesium salts should enable the classification of the therapeutic effects of these salts. Consequently we compared the effects of various magnesium salts used therapeutically on the inhibition of the acute muricidal behaviour induced by magnesium deficiency. All the magnesium salts used (chloride, pidolate, aspartate, gluconate, lactate) suppressed the muricidal behaviour. There was no significant difference in the duration of the treatment needed to inhibit this comportment for each of the salts studied. In contrast, significant differences appeared, concerning the different phases of muricidal behaviour. Magnesium pidolate significantly increased the attack latency (P < 0.05). By repeating the muricidal assays, we showed that magnesium pidolate treated rats had a muricidal behaviour rate which was lower than that of the other magnesium salt-treated rat groups. Consequently, it can be assumed that all the magnesium salts used had an acute anti-muricidal, perhaps anti-stress, effect and that magnesium pidolate presented, on this experimental model the greatest efficacy.
                    Last edited by Primo; 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      A little help?

                      "Best Glycinate: Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate"

                      I'm in Australia and cannot get this brand shipped to me. I did find this however and am wondering if it is the same or "close enough"??

                      Magnesium (from TRAACS® magnesium glycinate chelate buffered) 133mg
                      Other ingredients: Gelatin, magnesium oxide, citric acid, maltodextrin, may contain one or more of the following: microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, silica.


                      Thanks for your help!
                      Vickie

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Primo View Post
                        Source?

                        This one contradicts:

                        Inhibition of mouse-killing behaviour in magnesiu... [Magnes Res. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

                        Inhibition of mouse-killing behaviour in magnesium-deficient rats: effect of pharmacological doses of magnesium pidolate, magnesium aspartate, magnesium lactate, magnesium gluconate and magnesium chloride.
                        Bac P1, Pages N, Herrenknecht C, Teste JF.
                        Author information
                        Abstract

                        Magnesium deprivation induced interspecific aggressive behaviour (muricidal behaviour) in rats undoubtedly attributable to magnesium deficiency since magnesium chloride, by correcting magnesium deficiency, suppressed it. Inhibition of magnesium deficiency-induced behaviour by various magnesium salts should enable the classification of the therapeutic effects of these salts. Consequently we compared the effects of various magnesium salts used therapeutically on the inhibition of the acute muricidal behaviour induced by magnesium deficiency. All the magnesium salts used (chloride, pidolate, aspartate, gluconate, lactate) suppressed the muricidal behaviour. There was no significant difference in the duration of the treatment needed to inhibit this comportment for each of the salts studied. In contrast, significant differences appeared, concerning the different phases of muricidal behaviour. Magnesium pidolate significantly increased the attack latency (P < 0.05). By repeating the muricidal assays, we showed that magnesium pidolate treated rats had a muricidal behaviour rate which was lower than that of the other magnesium salt-treated rat groups. Consequently, it can be assumed that all the magnesium salts used had an acute anti-muricidal, perhaps anti-stress, effect and that magnesium pidolate presented, on this experimental model the greatest efficacy.


                        Its the magnesium that reduces the neurotoxicity of pyroglutamate, but it is still mildly neurotoxic even combined with magnesium. The seizures were reduced by magnesium not by pyroglutamate. This study was also done with rats instead of in vivo humans. Granted I do site some animal and in vitro studies in my work, but it isn't always completely accurate.

                        There are just so many better sources of magnesium for supplementation.
                        My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

                        I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

                        www.fixyourgut.com
                        Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by VickieSneddon View Post
                          "Best Glycinate: Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate"

                          I'm in Australia and cannot get this brand shipped to me. I did find this however and am wondering if it is the same or "close enough"??

                          Magnesium (from TRAACS® magnesium glycinate chelate buffered) 133mg
                          Other ingredients: Gelatin, magnesium oxide, citric acid, maltodextrin, may contain one or more of the following: microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, silica.


                          Thanks for your help!
                          Vickie
                          It is the same, but with a lot more fillers. What about Designs for Health Magnesium Glycinate?
                          My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

                          I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

                          www.fixyourgut.com
                          Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Thank you for such a comprehensive run down on magnesium. I have taken it fairly regularly for the last couple of years, swapping about but at present I take mag. malate and mag. citrate. Reading your comprehensive descriptions I can see several varieties that might be worth taking, is there a limit to how much magnesium you can/should take?

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              I appreciate the breakdown of the different forms of magnesium. I've been taking magnesium malate for a couple months now and definitely notice a reduction in Charley horses and overnight foot cramps.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Notsoperfick View Post
                                Thank you for such a comprehensive run down on magnesium. I have taken it fairly regularly for the last couple of years, swapping about but at present I take mag. malate and mag. citrate. Reading your comprehensive descriptions I can see several varieties that might be worth taking, is there a limit to how much magnesium you can/should take?
                                Yes, it is rare with supplemental magnesium but hypermagnesemia can occur. This best recommendation to prevent it is 200 - 400 mg per 50 pounds of body weight of supplemental magnesium daily.
                                My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

                                I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

                                www.fixyourgut.com
                                Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X