Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picnic at Work?

Hey All,

We are having a staff appreciation picnic tomorrow at work. I have to go and they are providing lunch. BBQ beef sandwiches, chips, beans and pasta salad. Definitely NOT primal minus the meat maybe. What would you all suggest I do? My hubby suggested eating the BBQ by itself and taking myself a salad.

Your hubby is wise. Bring a primal dessert, too.

Comment

Are they grilling anything? For work events, I always opt in for a hamburger patty, and toss the bun.
      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

I'm thinking that if I ever enter the professional work force again, I'm going to invent a religion and blame all my "weird" food quirks on it. Cave-olicism might work. Or maybe I'll invent a medical condition and use that.

Your husband has a good idea.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Make a big salad and add it to the buffet for whoever wants some. You can't possibly be the only person who would appreciate some veggies.
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

The big salad is a great idea BUT there will be over 100 people there, I work for a large university!! I think I will take my salad and some dark chocolate just for me!! he he he

Comment

JoanieL- I have thought this many times myself. When you say you are doing something for religious reasons people leave you alone it seems, no one wants to question that lol!!

Comment

If you are celiac well meaning people will still try to cook for you. Just eat the meat and some chips and call it good enough (unless you are actually celiac).

Comment

I don't understand the idea that just because someone else is paying for food, you should eat it. I would just take my own meal, so I know the meat isn't contaminated with something unsafe. I do it to work functions all the time. Most people don't notice. Those who do comment, often tell me my food looks nicer than theirs. The more brazen you are, the less people are likely to give you a hard time about it. Look at your food, then look at theirs and say ' I think I win' with a cheesy grin.

Comment

Love that attitude Bifcus!!

Comment

I disagree, that level of arrogance won't help your co-workers like you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bifcus View Post
                        I don't understand the idea that just because someone else is paying for food, you should eat it. I would just take my own meal, so I know the meat isn't contaminated with something unsafe. I do it to work functions all the time. Most people don't notice. Those who do comment, often tell me my food looks nicer than theirs. The more brazen you are, the less people are likely to give you a hard time about it. Look at your food, then look at theirs and say ' I think I win' with a cheesy grin.
                        I would apologize. But you see, my diet is so restricted, and I don't expect other people to provide me with weird food I can eat, and it's soo booring I don't even want to talk about it. And dig into my lobster salad.

Originally posted by notlupus View Post
                        I disagree, that level of arrogance won't help your co-workers like you.
                        I and anyone else I have fixed lunches for have always had the reputation of having the tastiest and most attractive lunch. People really don't resent you or consider it arrogant that you eat amazingly attractive food. They come up behind you to see what you're having for lunch today. It's like they're subscribing to your blog feed.
                        Last edited by eKatherine; 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NATLES View Post
                          The big salad is a great idea BUT there will be over 100 people there, I work for a large university!! I think I will take my salad and some dark chocolate just for me!! he he he
                          If there are that many people then definitely just bring your own food. I do that every time they buy us lunch here in my office and my office is smaller (around 50 people). I often eat something before the lunch comes, then pick out one thing I can eat and take a very small portion of it. If anyone asks why I'm not eating much I say that I had a big breakfast. As it turns out, no one really cares...

Comment

Perhaps I am an arrogant b*. But I am pretty much over apologising for what I eat. That just makes me feel bad and doesn't help anyone else.

Remember, in this situation it is with work colleagues - people who already see you bring your lunch every day, who you already share many jokes with. Maybe other workplaces have different behaviour patterns where you need to appear submissive to survive. That is you knowing your environment.

Other scenarios are different. EG, this weekend I will be spending with people I have never met IRL. The organiser is catering all meals. I initially said I'd bring all my own food, but his planned menu is very basic, so it was easy to ask him to make sure the sausages and bacon are gluten free, and bring my own stuff for the rest. You got to play each situation according to it's merits.

I used to tell people I " can't " eat dairy or gluten, and be quick to offer a reason. Now I rarely say that. Instead I say I "don't" eat that stuff and only provide a reason if specifically asked. It is surprising how few people ask.

That slight linguistic change is so much better for my head.

PS: Did anyone ever think that maybe workplaces not providing food that meets your needs is disrespectful/a breach of Workplace Health and Safety rules?

Comment

I'd bring my own food.

Comment

Working...
                              X