Giving up artificial sweeteners...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up artificial sweeteners...

So I was listening to some old Jillian Michaels podcasts -- I disagree with a lot of her ideas, but I admire her ferocity and passion, and she does deviate from CW more often than most mainstream people I've read. Anyway, she was talking about artificial sweeteners and how bad they are for you -- specifically, aspartame and saccharin. It's always been in the back of my mind to give them up, especially my diet soda habit. I've fallen off the PB wagon twice now, and I think it's because I try to change my entire life at once, which doesn't work for me. So I've decided that artificial sweeteners (most especially asparetame, saccharin, and splenda) are gone. When I've been two weeks off those things and feel ready, the next step is wheat, which might take longer than 2 weeks to give up fully.

So I'm having issues with what to drink! I'm diabetic, so juices are totally out. Even watered down, wasting 8-10g of my carbs (and insulin) on juice seems dumb. I drink a LOT. I tend to drink water all day as a teacher, but when I'm eating a meal, I prefer something with taste. I can't do tea; I've tried every tea I can possibly find and I really hate hate hate hot drinks. And I can't seem to make a palatable glass of iced tea

I accidentally bought a huge can of Arizona diet green tea because I didn't recognize sucrulose as splenda

I used to drink iced black coffee - quite strong black coffee with a heap of ice, really cold. Or else iced water with lemon juice.

But why do we need anything other than water, really? It's just habit.

What about Miso soup or beef broth?

I've read a study somewhere that artificial sweeteners also still trigger the 'sweet receptors' (though they put it more scientifically!) in the brain, so you still crave sweet stuff (even without the insulin response and such).

Comment

If you must... lemon juice, lime juice, stevia. Completely innocuous and pretty yummy.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Try spicing up your water!

I love cucumber water the best...but oranges and limes or even a combo thereof taste delicious too.

I just slice up whatever I'm 'marinating' shove it in a bottle of water and let it get very chilly in the fridge. The aroma and taste are quite satisfying!

Comment

I don't like fruit herbal teas when they're hot, but I do when they are cold, oddly enough. Maybe make some strong berry tea or something and try it over ice.

Comment

I mostly drink iced tea with lemon or water flavored with lemon or lime slices. I gave up artificial sweetners about three weeks ago and feel like that's what had been stalling my loss (plus was detrimental to my healthy anyway). I was a 4-5 Diet Coke/day girl. Now I find that I am so much more sensitive to the sweet taste in natural things since my tastes aren't distored by artificial sweetners.

Oh...I use an electric tea maker and it makes it fast and easy. I normally use naturally decaffinated tea since I drink so much of it.

Comment

i drink coffee in the morning and water the rest the day

about a yr and a half ago i was a 12 pack of diet soda a day drinker... i gave it all up, all sweetnes and sweetners cold turkey. i have never made a better decisiion. the brain fog, the had fuzzys, the blood suga woes, al gone

i would say stick to water for now simply so you dont replace one vice wih another and you really need to focus yourself on getting past mouth hunger which is why people drink fluids besides water. whn i stress at work i still get an auto-i-need-diet-sunkist-cold-crisp-drink feeling, but it passes in no time
              Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

sometimes stuff has to be sacrificed and there's just no viable substitute. it can suck an egg sometimes, but in the end its better for you.
                sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                  whn i stress at work i still get an auto-i-need-diet-sunkist-cold-crisp-drink feeling, but it passes in no time
                  Ha! I still get this too (except for Diet Coke). Wonder how long it'll be before that urge/instinct goes away?

Comment

iced tea, blended iced coffee (heavy cream, coffee, ice, yum), if you want a cold bubbly thing to drink invest in a soda maker. u can buy flavoured essences that have 0 sweeteners to put into the water like berry, orange, lemon/lime etc. fizz up the water and u got yourself a tasty fizzy icy refreshment.
                    "The first wealth is health."
                    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Actually, Splenda is the best artificial sugar to consume, since you body can't digest it in any way and it doesn't interact with your insulin. However, it goes straight through you, especially in liquids, so it is rather important to have a bathroom nearby. I listed out the artificial sugars here at my blog in case you are curious: http://retrospectivecaveman.blogspot...-good-for.html
                      Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                      Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                      I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

Splenda is HORRIBLE on the scale of artificial sweeteners. Chloro-carbons... no thank you. It's right up there with drinking DDT. :P

If you have to have sweet, I'd suggest stevia. I had a stevia plant and one of my favorite things was to crush the leaves, like making a mojito. Shoot... crush some mint leaves with the stevia leaves, add some fizzy water and some lemon... tasty drink that looks all fancy!

I don't bother with sodas much anymore, homemade or otherwise. Hot tea, decaff coffee, water, and the occasional kombucha. That pretty much covers it for me. Once in a great, great while I'll grab a can of Zevia (all natural diet soda) at the Co-Op in Ithaca, but even that is wretchedly sweet now.

If you want a homemade cream soda, just add vanilla extract and stevia to some fizzy water.

Comment

I have eliminated using sweetener or sugar in my coffee, I can take coffee with cream or black but mostly drink water. I still drink Diet Mountain Dew daily. I need to stop, but with all the changes I have made this is my last bad dietary habit.

Anyone who has kicked the diet soda habit have any recommendations? It seems I can go a week or even two but eventually give in.
                          Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                            Splenda is HORRIBLE on the scale of artificial sweeteners. Chloro-carbons... no thank you. It's right up there with drinking DDT. :P

If you have to have sweet, I'd suggest stevia. I had a stevia plant and one of my favorite things was to crush the leaves, like making a mojito. Shoot... crush some mint leaves with the stevia leaves, add some fizzy water and some lemon... tasty drink that looks all fancy!

I don't bother with sodas much anymore, homemade or otherwise. Hot tea, decaff coffee, water, and the occasional kombucha. That pretty much covers it for me. Once in a great, great while I'll grab a can of Zevia (all natural diet soda) at the Co-Op in Ithaca, but even that is wretchedly sweet now.

If you want a homemade cream soda, just add vanilla extract and stevia to some fizzy water.
                            Just because stevia is natural, doesn't mean that it is okay. It causes an insulin response just like that of other sugars, which is what we are not wanting I thought. At least, I am. Sucralose and the sugar alcohols are the best because they stimulate the sweet receptors on our tongues, and go straight through our bodies without any stops. In other words, they don't activate an insulin response.
                            Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                            Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                            I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

Kombucha gives you the soda-like fizziness, and can be sweetened with berries or other fruit for low level of sugar/carbs but still a decent sweet flavor. It definitely helps me tame my sugar cravings.

Comment

Working...
                              X