Nutrtion Maple syrup vs. Honey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrtion Maple syrup vs. Honey

I currently use honey as a flavor condiment for sweet potatoes during my post-workout carb refeeds. I've always preferred maple syrup on sweet potatoes, but chose honey because I thought it was nutritionally superior. After some recent reading, it looks like honey isn't necessarily superior. The biggest difference seems to be that honey has more vitamins, but maple syrup has more minerals. I was wondering which is more important. Or does it even matter considering the relative amount I'm eating compared to the rest of my food?

Given the amount that you're eating, the amount of vitamins or nutrients that you're comparing aren't significant enough to worry about. I wouldn't be looking towards syrup or honey for nutrients, considering that your diet is probably already full of veggies, fruit, and meat.

Eat what tastes best.

Comment

IMHO - doesn't matter. I have both. I just make sure to buy both locally made, and I can because I live in a part of the country that has the requisite climate and trees for maple syrup. And beehives are everywhere.

I just looked at your location - sugaring shacks should be in your relative neighborhood, too.
      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Cathartes View Post
        Given the amount that you're eating, the amount of vitamins or nutrients that you're comparing aren't significant enough to worry about. I wouldn't be looking towards syrup or honey for nutrients, considering that your diet is probably already full of veggies, fruit, and meat.

Eat what tastes best.
        This.
        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Mix them both together and let me know how that tastes.

M.

Comment

With honey or maple syrup it won't matter, but if you compare the two to blackstrap molasses there actually is a noticeable difference (molasses is very nutrient-dense). Still, as others have said worrying about the issue at all will make you a lot worse off than the minor nutritional differences of a condiment.

Comment

I use both, but not on potatoes/kumara. I would go with butter and himilayan salt instead as a savoury topping.

Also, all honeys are not made equal. Some rubbishy honey even has the pollen removed (cough, china, cough), which makes it of extremely questionable value.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Molasses has both beat.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I like molasses too Knife, but it's a little intense for some people...

For the best nutrition bang while indulging your sweet tooth with sweet potatoes... Dates are where it's at IMO.

Just chop some and mash them in, or I understand you can get date sugar... which is just really, really dried dates that have been ground up to a sugar like consistency. Still a whole food, just dried and crushed up.

The Healthiest Sweetener | NutritionFacts.org
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

It's negligible. The question is, do you want to be getting a little bit of nutrition through consuming a whole lot of sugar? Unless you're Derpamix, the answer is probably no.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Honey is best in its raw state. Most honey is extracted using heat which damages the delicate biologically active molecules and renders it into a syrup. Go local and talk to whoever makes it. I get mine from an old guy at the farmer's market it tastes great and has bits of bees legs and comb in it.
                      Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                      www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

I have read that commercial maple syrup is far to processed nowadays (even organic etc one), and it makes raw local honey a better choice.
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

The plethora of responses in such a short time all seem to say the same thing: it doesn't significantly matter. Thanks for putting that to rest. And thanks for the molasses mentionings. I'll have to give that a try.

Comment

I eat tons of carbs. but things like raw honey or real maple syrup are used in such minute quantities that I wouldn't even think of their nutritional value. its a condiment. if you're really that worried about vitamins vs. minerals, use a tsp of each and then you'll be all set. make sure you're using high quality products though. also, like other posters have mentioned, give blackstrap molasses a try

Comment

Seriously... according to the video I posted, which shows a side by side comparison of all of the products if you watch it... dark brown sugar is better than honey or maple syrup because it's made of molasses.

Date sugar and molasses are the best.
                              Dates work too being the same thing as date sugar just not dried and ground.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X