Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A link between the gut and serotonin? What's good for stress?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A link between the gut and serotonin? What's good for stress?

I was watching underground wellness channel recently and one of the videos went over depression. What really startled me was that supposedly the gut produces serotonin, the main chemical thought to be involved in depression. Is there actual research that backs that up?

My parents are frequently stressed due to there job. Is there a supplement that would relax them that isn't illegal? I heard something about Gaba which alters dopamine levels.
    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Any chance they'd do something other than take a pill, like use a stress-reduction technique? I use Heartmath. Basically it's like a mini-meditation. There's a short version and a long version. It really works, and their literature has a lot of thorough research on how stress works and what it does to your body.

Comment

Actually I think it's 80 percent of serotonin and thus melatonin is produced in the gut. On top of that, 80 percent of your immune system is in the gut. The gut is most definitely "the second brain"

I, just like Sean Croxton, don't believe in treating with pills unless you're simultaneously treating the root cause. GABA would help relax, while L-Tryptophan would help with happiness through serotonin and probably sleep through melatonin...

Supplements are GREAT imo. But if you're not reducing stress and fixing the gut naturally, then they are treating their gut just like the pharmaceutical companies would, with less side effects.
      sigpic
      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Ja it's produced in the gut and 80% of serotonin resides in the gut. I remember this video being awesome and very pertinent to the discussion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYT5s...os=z6lEq7YYLAU . Anything that might get screwed up in the synthesis?

If they're stressed it can be other deficiencies too. Vitamin d, DHA and magnesium come to mind (most people are deficient in ALL of those. And more). And then a lot of the time it's just a lack of conscious psychological ability to cope with these things. A couple of months ago I was getting my usual awesome nutrition but was seriously undermining it by being upset and stressed easily. Some deep breathing like EGY advocates on his blog or some positive-thinking "spiritual" stuff like Paul Chek specializes in would be worth a shot too. Maybe...just maybe...health issues aren't all the result of a pill deficiency.

Maybe.
        Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

The Mood Cure by Julia Ross - really good read!

Comment

@ Helene in Oz - My parents work own and manage a small optometry practice. So the stress is unavoidable and may get worse. I hope not. My father and I are naturally tense, even when relaxed. I'm slowly getting them to eat better, but I can't quite convince them of the carbohydrate hypothesis. Which I think would help even more. Is heartmath a website?

@ FabMandy I do want to read the Mood Cure, sounds interesting although a little too good to be true. I'm reading GCBC though. Hope to finish it by next week.

@ Stabby - interesting concept. Presentation was confusing since he wasn't pointing out what he was talking about. I hope I can make positive thinking much easier for me. I will check that out later.

@ EGynutriton- I'd love to be off all of my medications, but I doubt my doctors would approve without some proof of not needing them. It would be crazy getting my gut to heal, and THAT fixing all of my other problems.

Comment

Heartmath uses some breathing and visualizing methods. In short, you practice doing little meditations - breathing 'through the heart' and thinking about a good feeling - 'go to your happy place', I say - and then pay attention to recognize how you feel physically, noting the improvement. With practice, you can apply it any time you start to feel stressed, so you can think more clearly and respond more effectively.

Here are a bunch of links I put together earlier for someone who pmed me about it.

Here's some links

http://www.heartmath.org/
              http://www.macquarieinstitute.com.au/

here's a good little intro
              http://www.heartmath.org/about-us/qu...-12-to-18.html

http://www.lifepositive.com/Body/Hea...ation62007.asp

If you're keen and want to read further, The Heartmath Solution is the book I recommend as it is very readable, with a lot of background research, case studies and tips. The style can be a little bit 'hard sell' at times - aimed at persuading people that this stuff works, but don't let that put you off.
              http://store.heartmath.org/s.nl/c.58...ategory.593/.f

I hope I'm not coming across as too evangelistic about this stuff (maybe I should start up an affiliate website or something!) but it works, so - well there you go anyhow, hope it's useful to you. Feel free to PM me about it anytime.

Comment

Strom, you're going to laugh at that post in a year, probably less, if you keep the healthy lifestyle up...

For two reasons:

You'll realize how worthless pharmaceuticals are, and probably switch to a doctor to doesn't emphasize drugs and surgery before nutrition and herbs.

And you'll realize that the gut controls the health of your entire body. The kg of bacteria in your gut control you and your health.

Julia Ross's diet cure and mood cure are both excellent books that have helped numerous people. Reading both would be of great benefit.
                sigpic
                In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Is any more good online reference about this Enteric nervous system (I think that's what its called) link with the mind? Also the link in say Depression, OCD and muscle tension.

How do you find a doctor that doesn't emphasize drugs over medicine. Would he be covered under insurance, or affordable enough that its not really an issue?

Comment

You can get "The Second Brain" for 10 bucks on amazon... Has all the info you need

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Brain-G.../dp/0060930721

And you can find a Holistic M.D. here:

http://www.holisticmedicine.org/disp...articlenbr=118

Or maybe ask around at an organic grocery store or the like... people know people
                    sigpic

Comment

Since I began Living Primal I haven't had any depressive episodes. When I have been able to maintain this new lifestyle for several more months (I'm only 40 days in), I'm going to ask my doctor to ween me off the Effexor.

Regarding stress management/relaxation, living Primal had brought me the JOY of mild, moderate exercise Also, since my focus has improved, so has my time management. Now I have time for hobbies, and hand drumming with a drum circle is the bomb!

Comment

Serotonin does not cross the blood brain barrier (BBB), that is why precursor amino acids like tryptophan or 5HTP are used. So, ingested or gut produced serotonin may affect many things but not the brain. maybe a poor digestion affects amino acid balance.

GABA does not cross BBB, but many people claim it works. Also, now it seems the BBB is more pearmeable than thought ,espcially in the hypothalamus (if I remember well).

There are genetic (you can search for: short ht allele)and functional reasons why drugs maybe necessary. As an analogy, you will not make a car run better putting high quality gas if the engine is broken.

Comment

wsx
                          Last edited by periquin; 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM.
                          Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

You'll realize how worthless pharmaceuticals are, and probably switch to a doctor to doesn't emphasize drugs and surgery before nutrition and herbs.
                            Sorry EGY but I find your blanket statement ill-informed and irresponsible. An evolutionary lifestyle and nutrition does give us many advantages in dealing with disease, but we are not naturally invulnerable, bugs evolve, and all Big Pharma is not the incarnation of Satan. And vaccination has it's merits too.

Also, as Primo says, the gut produced serotinin would target the gut nervous sytem, not brain cells. The gut would influence our psychology through the vagus nerve. Chronic systemic inflammation, often linked to diet, also appears to correlate with depression.
                            “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                            "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

That's fine. It's just my opinion. It's just funny that companies like Merck can kill millions (Vioxx, don't get me on spelling) and then open up a blanket company to take the hit. Everyday you can turn on the TV and their will be another drug recalled. It's because although they might treat a symptom, the root of the problem grows. And the drugs augment that growth in my opinion.

"Big Pharma" is much more corrupt than people think. Business and money before life. There is little money in the cure for cancer, and the cure for AIDS. Vaccinations make big bucks; and so do the drugs.

Sometimes it's hard to realize it though. I know it was for me. I ignored it because it stressed me out beyond belief. But now, it doesn't, it motivates me to get them shut down. It motivates me to help people how to use the tools of nutrition and exercise to better their life.

Once again, we can't really argue this, this is my opinion. That is yours. Maybe I was a little over-confident in my statement.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X