I think I'm overthinking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm overthinking

I've found that the concern over consuming wheat, gluten, soy etc has grown into something that's giving me a headache. My family is one that eats a lot of grain and often bakes with plain whole purpose white flour. I try to be as close to 100% as possible, but often get a bit conscious about contaminating things that I eat. Is this silly sounding? I feel like I've thought about this much too often, and that (being someone who is at most mildly intolerant to gluten) I've become almost paranoid with keeping my things 'sterile'. Do other people spend so much effort keeping small (and I'm talking like, crumbs or almost trace) amounts out of their diets? Maybe the beef had mad cow and I'm slowly going looney, >.>
    Last edited by andi; 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM.

The compounded stress from neurosis is a lot worse than just eating gluten, especially if you don't have celiacs. Don't let yourself become one of those people.
    Make America Great Again

Comment

Yeah, I'm 80/20 and my 20% is very liberal. Don't sweat the small stuff. Heck there was a fella that made the testimonial of the week thingy a while back who drank 2 beers every night and 4-6 on weekend nights and still had tremendous results. Just an example.

Actually today is my 20% day. Not very primal, but I'll be 100% the next 6 days. Technically that leaves me a few percent for the rest of the week 1/7 = 14%!
      Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Dude you're less primal than I am!
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by andi View Post
          I've found that the concern over consuming wheat, gluten, soy etc has grown into something that's giving me a headache. My family is one that eats a lot of grain and often bakes with plain whole purpose white flour. I try to be as close to 100% as possible, but often get a bit conscious about contaminating things that I eat. Is this silly sounding? I feel like I've thought about this much too often, and that (being someone who is at most mildly intolerant to gluten) I've become almost paranoid with keeping my things 'sterile'. Do other people spend so much effort keeping small (and I'm talking like, crumbs or almost trace) amounts out of their diets? Maybe the beef had mad cow and I'm slowly going loonie, >.>
          Yeah, I'm the same way and it works for me. Keeps me sane and gives me a feeling like I'm staying on the path. It all depends on your personality. It doesn't bother me that I'm doing it so it's not detrimental to me. If it makes you feel like you can maintain your discipline better by keeping things "sterile", then do it.
          "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Hey, we're all going to die eventually either way. (wait, was that not reassuring?)

But really, that's what I tell myself to give some perspective. Life is short, but if you're neurotic, it just seems long and painful. The goal of Primal is to live a healthier, more enjoyable life, and lying awake at 2 am worrying about gluten contamination and prions is moving you away from that goal.

Chronic stress is worse than a little (possibly non-existent) gluten contamination, especially if you're stressed about being stressed.

Comment

I know it can be frustrating to share a kitchen with different ways of eating (I used to have vegan housemates). Just stay positive as in "I'm eating X because it's a smarter choice than Y" and not "Y is rattlesnake venom aimed at my heart". If a gluten dose causes real audible/visible distress then maybe ask for a little more accommodation.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

It depends on the reaction you get when you are exposed to gluten. I am gluten intolerant, and I keep a gluten-free household. For those who do not react, I can't see why they should do that. If you do react, you really should be avoiding it, because it is a toxin for you.

Comment

Many people react to things because they believe that something is bad to them! Like the guy that thought that he was "allergic" to flowers especially roses and his doctor put some visible but very false paper roses in his office to test him - and the patient when entering the office and saw the roses, which he thought was real got all the allergic symptoms from the paper flowers as well! What does that tell us?
                  Last edited by Gorbag; 06-09-2013, 12:20 PM.
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

It doesn't tell us he is not allergic to roses. It tells us about the power of fear and psychology, and why a person is better off not having a doctor who plays sadistic tricks on them.

Comment

In this special case it was the power of the mind that played a trick on the poor guy, the roses was not to blame...
                      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                        Dude you're less primal than I am!
                        Haha, you gotta point. It was a particularly unprimal saturday. Its not every week, but I did come to this lifestyle with little to no actual health concerns or body comp issues to start. No food intolerance or GI distress either. Just here for the general health of it, so my approach is a bit more laid back...I go through fits of 100% with occasional 6 day on 1 day off and whatnot. Hell after 3 years though I figure I've poisoned my body much less than the standard. May not be perfect, but its an improvement.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I think that I've really been putting too much thought into this, especially since it doesn't affect me enough for it to be a concern. I think it is just my personality though, I seem to like things to be done a certain way, or be in a certain place, etc. >.>

Comment

^^^
                            Type A perhaps?
                            "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Haha, totally a Type A...

Comment

Working...
                              X